What stance do you use while shooting handgun?

What stance do you use while shooting a handgun?

• Weaver (Traditional or Modified)

Votes: 63 44.4%
  • Isosceles (Traditional or Modified)

Votes: 60 42.3%
  • One Handed

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.0%

• Total voters
RE; point shooting I would venture a guess that at an IPSC match a high percentage,maybe 30-40 % of "A" or successful shots are made without using the sights,and some percentage,perhaps 10% are made without even consciously seeing the gun. Only see what you need to see to make the shot.

I thought point shooting is what kids do before they are shown how to use the sights on their BB guns.

I guess Bill Jordan, Jelly Bryce and Colonel Rex Applegate are just a bunch kids that never learned any better.

http://www.bobtuley.com/pointshooting.htm

Of course Col Cooper advocated aimed shots. (trying to locate a reference)

I guess the point I did not even know I wanted to make, is this argument has been going on for as long there have been handguns.

Use the stance and technique that works for you.

Last edited:
I use one of the only three acceptable stances.

stormtroopers-page.jpg

Can't shoot ISO if you have something in your hand. Like a beer , or another person's hand.
CAR system goes back years now , the Interweb experts said it sucked a long time ago.
Mythical Cowboys all shoot one handed. Jack Bauer shoots Weaverish - and we all pay money to the experts for the coolest High Speed techniques from guys with cool hats.
Nobody shoots prone ? Lefty around corners ?

I try lots of stuff , I suck at all of it. But a little less than last year.

One handed for most of my shooting lately. I shoot double duelist at SASS Shoots. Left Colt in my left hand and right Colt in my right hand. And yesterday for the 2nd time in history, I shot CLEAN. No misses.

They are called hand guns - not hands gun. [grin]

But if it's my carry pistol, Colt Officers, two handed.

Modified Isosceles after I started doing USPSA. I found that my shooting really improved after switching to this stance, though that my just be trigger time. I used to use Weaver exclusively and still find myself subconsciously trying to go back to it sometimes.

For years I have had instructors telling my why the best way to shoot is the Iso, but I consistently out shoot them from the weaver. I guess whatever works for you is the right stance.

That doesn't mean anything. The question is would YOU shoot better if you shot a modified Iso. You may be more skilled or talented than them negating the effect of a superior position.

To put it another way. Dave Sevigney could outshoot me with a mirror using his non-dominant eye. Does that mean shooting with a mirror and your non-dominant eye is best? Of course not.

I voted Weaver but I always shoot both, and practice one handed with both hands, every range trip. I am awful when shooting lefty but figure it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with offhand shooting, just incase

That doesn't mean anything. The question is would YOU shoot better if you shot a modified Iso. You may be more skilled or talented than them negating the effect of a superior position.

To put it another way. Dave Sevigney could outshoot me with a mirror using his non-dominant eye. Does that mean shooting with a mirror and your non-dominant eye is best? Of course not.

For me, a modified iso stance works best. I've tried others and keep coming back to that. With that said, I practice single handed and weak hand shooting. I also practice point shooting with the gun tucked in close to my side. Its amazing how well you can hit just pointing

Back
Top Bottom