What should I buy next.. $800 burning a hole in my pocket.

I'm at a lost as to what I should buy next...[hmmm]

I don't own any revolvers yet.
I've been thinking 1911 for a while now...

Any suggestions as to what I should look at?

I would buy a nice wheel gun if you don't got one... I prefer S&W.

Or something along the lines of a Colt 1911 if you can find a good one for in or under $800.

Last edited:
What reloading equipment do you have?

If the answer is "None," use the $800 to get a quality set-up or to stockpile ammo. The price is only going to go higher.

I say get either a revo or 1911, a good S&W 686 or 620 will leave plenty of money for ammo. The S&W 1911's are also great guns.

+1 for a 1911 or wheelgun. What do you own for shotguns if anything? I shot a Saiga 12 the other day, and it was great fun.

Be careful with that burning hole. You'd best send me the money so I can keep it from starting a fire.

Ammo. Buy ammo. As much as you can.

$800 should set you up nicely with a Dillon 550, vibratory case cleaner with media, scale, a set of dies, some primers, and some powder. The beauty of this purchase is that you will get that $800 back. The more you shoot, the faster it will come back, too.

Or you could buy a nice SW1911 or the new SW 627 Pro Series or...

Chris

What reloading equipment do you have?

If the answer is "None," use the $800 to get a quality set-up or to stockpile ammo. The price is only going to go higher.

I'm with Scrivener on this one. $800 will set you up nicely with reloading gear.
-Cuz.

Totally agreed on the reloading press. You'll save the 800.00 dollars in one season alone (depending on what cailbers you shoot). Or you'll shoot a LOT more for the same money. Either way it's a win, and it's a satisfying hobby as well.

If you are dead set against reloading, I'd say go for a nice S&W revolver. I've got a pile of them, and I'd never part with any of them. [smile]

$800 should set you up nicely with a Dillon 550, vibratory case cleaner with media, scale, a set of dies, some primers, and some powder. The beauty of this purchase is that you will get that $800 back. The more you shoot, the faster it will come back, too.
Or you could buy a nice SW1911 or the new SW 627 Pro Series or...

Chris

That sounds like the logic women use when they go shopping. "What are you talking about honey? I was saving money because it was on sale" Only it's "Yeah I shoot more but now that I reload my bullets are cheaper hun!"

If you don't own a 1911 then you NEED one or five. 1911's rule and once you start shooting them you won't go back to anything else.

1911, then reloading equipment so you can afford to shoot it as much as you want to. 45ACP is $$$.

Search around for a good used S&W Model 66. This is the stainless version of the Model 19, which is one of the finest revolvers Smith ever made. You want a 4" barrel.

True, the K-Frames weren't meant for a steady diet of full house .357 loads, but then neither were your hands. However, you can shoot mid-range .38s (2.7 grains of Bullseye with a 158-gr. cast SWC) all day for zip, and even possibly in the process learn to be good with it. The 4" 66 carries easily; shoots easily; can be fed a wide range of loads depending on what you're doing; and will last forever.

That sounds like the logic women use when they go shopping. "What are you talking about honey? I was saving money because it was on sale" Only it's "Yeah I shoot more but now that I reload my bullets are cheaper hun!"

I'm saying if you shoot an equal amount of reloaded ammo vs. factory loaded, you will save money. The more you shoot, the more you would have to buy (or reload) so the amortization of the equipment is accellerated.

Buy the press, like I suggested and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Chris

I was checking out a couple para ordinance (sp?) the other day. If you want a 1911 for carry the LDA trigger is AWESOME! I was really surprised. You could get one in .38 Super and convert it to 9x23!

Good points on those who advocated the reloading equipment. Also too I might suggest spending that money for more trainng, or if you don't already have one, a gun safe which also has a fire protection rating. You could store other valuables as well as guns in it.

Mark L.

Also too I might suggest spending that money for more training, or if you don't already have one, a gun safe which also has a fire protection rating. You could store other valuables as well as guns in it.

Two excellent suggestions.

Tell your wife she can keep her jewelry and those important family papers in the safe - "Think of it as an investment!" [wink]

Back
Top Bottom