What keeps shooters from participating in organized shoots and matches.

Some people like to declare how good they are with a gun rather than prove it in a competition.

I'm especially amused by the people who are over-schooled (been to every big name shooting school you can think of), but underskilled who honestly believe they are close to grizzled veterans of the mean streets and have more survivability potential than the likes of top level competitors.

Remember, as long as you are safe, nobody cares where you come in on the scoresheet, not even your dog.

Stupid "safety" rules that have nothing to do with actual safety. Like having to unload a firearm or carry it around empty.

In real life you don't unload and clear your gun after you shoot someone. You top it off. Maybe start enforcing that and training people correctly and I'd consider competing again.

You learn some of the worst habits at competitions.

The last competition I went to they had a no carrying a loaded firearm rule. It wasn't hard to decide I don't need to hang around with people who are scared of loaded firearms.

At some point I need to attend some sort of rifle shooting match (down in mac1911's neck of the woods). I haven't attended any due to the distance and always seeming to have something going on that same day. I consider myself a good rifle shooter (from the bench anyway[laugh]) once I need to shoot while standing, it goes to hell... I'm much better shooting pistol (IDAP/steel challenge etc) though I still have a lot to learn...

In real life you don't unload and clear your gun after you shoot someone. You top it off. Maybe start enforcing that and training people correctly and I'd consider competing again.
In real life you don't shoot at cardboard or steel either - wtf is your point? Also, competition isn't training - it's competition.

Fear of being harassed by local fudd or cop about what's legal in my bag, and what's not. I don't need to put up with a-holes being nosy.

In real life you don't shoot at cardboard or steel either - wtf is your point? Also, competition isn't training - it's competition.

Yep.

- - - Updated - - -

THIS, I have zero interest going from a relative free state to CT or MA

I've been attending steel plate matches in CT every Wednesday night for the last two months (as I'm down here for work every week) and I've yet to be harassed. I do have my CT carry permit. But YMMV.

For those of you who are saying it is because of your current skill level, no one is going to care but you as long as you are safe.
the first step in getting better at doing something, is just to do it. I spent a few months ignoring a friend who was asking me to go to matches. when I finally went, I had a blast. people aren't going to judge you unless you do something unsafe so if it's on your list, get out and give it a shot. you will meet some great people.

Availability of practice time, IDPA and similar matches are really the only time you can draw from a holster, rapid fire, move and shoot, prone or whatever else. Most ranges don't allow any time of real practice doing these things unless it's at an actual event.

You're afraid to bring your guns outside of your house?

"Fear"wasn't the right word.

More like not wanting to deal with a-holes sticking their nose where it doesn't belong because they're too stupid to know what's legal, and what isn't. [wink]

Availability of practice time, IDPA and similar matches are really the only time you can draw from a holster, rapid fire, move and shoot, prone or whatever else.

Then start with Steel Challenge. You can start from low ready (you will take a time penalty for doing so).

Most ranges don't allow any time of real practice doing these things unless it's at an actual event.

Then you belong to the wrong gun club.

I hate to say it but even shooting IDPA doesn't give you much trigger time. At best our local matches are 4-6 hours long, you get to draw your Firearm 6 times at best and maybe shoot for 3 minutes in total time. That not a great opportunity to practice.

I hate to say it but even shooting IDPA doesn't give you much trigger time. At best our local matches are 4-6 hours long, you get to draw your Firearm 6 times at best and maybe shoot for 3 minutes in total time. That not a great opportunity to practice.

Matches aren't practice. They are a match.

You can practice in your basement, dry firing.

Then start with Steel Challenge. You can start from low ready (you will take a time penalty for doing so).

Then you belong to the wrong gun club.

I shoot at 4 clubs and they all have good and bad, 2 of them do steel challenge and I have been doing them and IDPA at 3 clubs for the past 5-6 years. My opinion is mostly why I don't see many new shooters coming out

Stupid "safety" rules that have nothing to do with actual safety. Like having to unload a firearm or carry it around empty.

The last competition I went to they had a no carrying a loaded firearm rule. It wasn't hard to decide I don't need to hang around with people who are scared of loaded firearms.

I think not being able to draw and shoot fast and accurately, and never testing yourself under pressure, is what will really get you killed in the streets.

Looks like there are a few similar comments. I'd suggest defecting to rifle matches such as high power or CMP. Unless it's your turn to score and/or pull targets, you will have lots of trigger time.

I think not being able to draw and shoot fast and accurately, and never testing yourself under pressure, is what will really get you killed in the streets.

I can, and do, do all of that without having to deal with overzealous range nazis.

Someone asked a question, I answered. It was a pretty simple fix too I think. Allow us to carry guns like we do everyday.

I can, and do, do all of that without having to deal with overzealous range nazis.

Someone asked a question, I answered. It was a pretty simple fix too I think. Allow us to carry guns like we do everyday.
Come out to a match and let's see what you can do.

Looks like there are a few similar comments. I'd suggest defecting to rifle matches such as high power or CMP. Unless it's your turn to score and/or pull targets, you will have lots of trigger time.

Rifle is completely different than a handgun, I don't carry a rifle every day to work or out around town like I do with a handgun.
The biggest problem is that everyone is afraid of liability and instead of holding individual people accountable for their actions, we don't allow people to train the way they want. Unless you own or have access to a sand pit or whatever else the ability to practice is scarce. Yes there are professional training courses available but very few are within the state and most are very expensive. I can't always drive 1-2 hours away to do so. We need to stop being such a nanny state.

This is by far the most ignorant reply to this thread.

I understand the people who can't commit the time to attend several hour long events. I understand the people who can't or don't want to travel far.

Your reasoning of 'stupid safety rules' shows how little you know about the sports talked about here. IDPA, USPSA, Hi power, bullseye, trap, skeet... These are all games. It is not real world face shooting. None of these claim to be training or practice for a real world scenario.

I am assuming you went to a pistol match and could not carry your pistol loaded. Thanks to a member of this forum, USPSA has a clear and safe process in place for participants who arrive to a match with a loaded carry weapon, so that they may unload their carry gun, shoot the match with it, then after the match they may reload for carry on the way home.

Guys, perceived LACK OF SKILL IS NOT AN EXCUSE! No one cares how you shoot as long as you do it safely.

Here's a picture of the inscription on the inside of one of the IDPA props:

u3yW0vHh.jpg

Matches are super friendly - no one will berate you for not doing well. Just come out and try it!

Availability of practice time, IDPA and similar matches are really the only time you can draw from a holster, rapid fire, move and shoot, prone or whatever else. Most ranges don't allow any time of real practice doing these things unless it's at an actual event.

I can only sympathize. I belong to two clubs, one in Connecticut, one in Georgia. I'm as cleared as anyone can be at both clubs, (except for the archery ranges which I'm not certified on), yet I can do much more here at my club in Georgia.

The pit in Connecticut was designed for pistol fire, and is limited to that, rule limited to no drawing from holsters.

In Georgia however I can basically do whatever I want in our tactical pits here, providing that I'm presenting no danger to anyone. I've set up for 3Gun practice a couple of times, staging loaded weapons at different firing points and moving to them. It's not a problem here. Of course the entire gun culture here is quite different than in the NorthEast and the range was designed accordingly.

Here's a link, (hopefully), to a video from a drone that was taken yesterday of the pits and ranges. We started with (3) tactical pits, a 50 yard pistol, a 100 yard rifle, and a 500 yard rifle. They're completing two new pits, plus a new 50 yard pistol and a new 100 yard rifle. This is so that we can use one end of these ranges for "events" while still having the 500, a 100, and a 50 open for everyone else without crossover.

Not shown in the video are the skeet, trap, archery, pond/lake, sporting clays, and clubhouse.

https://www.facebook.com/gene.graham.39/videos/10202551160057189/

To each their own but I have a fiancé and a son myself and my fiancé spends most of her time telling me I should go shoot more and take our son with me lol. But I've just gotten lazy in the last few months.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Maybe she's just trying to get you out of the house so Rodney can come over.

But seriously, no need to belittle others on the forum about their relationships with their wives. Some are more committed to spending time at home than shooting competitively.

Back
Top Bottom