• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What keeps shooters from participating in organized shoots and matches.

When I'm determining my stage plan and visualizing it, I'm not going to be chatty. And when I'm the on-deck shooter, leave me alone because I'm busy.

This guy did not talk the whole match. Like nothing. It's a local shooting match. not William tell.

I've yelled back from the line to people who are having a (loud) conversation while we're trying to shoot offhand.

But I like the BS'ing before and after a match.

Last edited:
People are waaay into themselves.

Then again I'm more of a loner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx. It'd be nice to get all those events on one page (one could wish, right?).

I guess if I start bookmarking these things I'll start to become more in tune with what's going on where.

Re: the IDPA practice at WSA, is stuff like that open to the public? I apologize - I didn't click the link since I'm mobile. I'm assuming not.

Thx. It'd be nice to get all those events on one page (one could wish, right?).

I guess if I start bookmarking these things I'll start to become more in tune with what's going on where.

Re: the IDPA practice at WSA, is stuff like that open to the public? I apologize - I didn't click the link since I'm mobile. I'm assuming not.

Yes it is. As long as you have safe gun handling skills, holster, and mag pouches, you're good to go.

Yes it is. As long as you have safe gun handling skills, holster, and mag pouches, you're good to go.

Awesome - maybe I'll be back in town from my folks place by Saturday night and I'll swing by. Just moved to Billerica and used to drive past WSA all the time.
I guess what's confusing is that the calendar doesn't say whether it's open to the public, so I would've just assumed it isn't - since another event that day says open to all interested shooters. Even then, it doesn't say if it's to interested members, or interested public. I would just hate to be that guy to show up, gear and all - to find out it's an open match, to only their members (or practice).

But with that said, I can rely on the fine people here at NES to tell me what's GTG for non-members, so thank you for that. [thumbsup]

IDPA Practice
Activity: Pistol - IDPA
AgeGroup: Adult
Facility: Indoor Range
FacilityStatus: Closed To Others
16:00 - 19:00
Contact John Iacomini [email protected]

Awesome - maybe I'll be back in town from my folks place by Saturday night and I'll swing by. Just moved to Billerica and used to drive past WSA all the time.
I guess what's confusing is that the calendar doesn't say whether it's open to the public, so I would've just assumed it isn't - since another event that day says open to all interested shooters. Even then, it doesn't say if it's to interested members, or interested public. I would just hate to be that guy to show up, gear and all - to find out it's an open match, to only their members (or practice).

But with that said, I can rely on the fine people here at NES to tell me what's GTG for non-members, so thank you for that. [thumbsup]

My work/office based is in N. Billerica about 10ish minutes from WSA but getting there on a Sunday afternoon (living in Gloucester) can be tough sometimes. I'm gone all week in CT for work so my wife would be pissed if I bailed on her for Sunday afternoon....

Anyway, their matches/practices are open to the interested public who have good safe gun handling skills. I can't say they would want someone who's never fired/held a gun to show up [laugh]. Also bring $5 for practice.

They have a facebook page that helps keep everyone updated on matches/practices which is helpful (if you're on FB...).

Personally its time and $. Currently working 12-15hr days 7 days a week just trying to keep afloat.

I think a lot of new shooters to any sport ate turned off by the reception they receive from those running the event and seasoned shooters.

I have helped run trap and sporting clays events mostly and been to plenty of other events.

To seasoned shooters I would say remember whete you came from. People shooting an event for the first time are nervous and will need more time. Comments, groans and a generally poor attitude will not be missed by these people and not make them want to come back.

To people running events I would say be careful of your demeanor. I know of one shoot that turned 3 shooters away from pins.

My friend was shooting his first match (in door range) and was grazing the 2x4. The RO kept telling him lower right) meaning move up and left. When I looked at the wood stand there were 5 shots in a 2 in long area each about 1/8" lower than the last moving to the right and a little bit lower. Another RO exploded yelling and screaming and telling him to get off the line for hitting the stand.

Another friend 1st time shooter who was already nervous refused to shoot his second round and third new shooter decided to to leave as well after the RO blew up a second time.

If you want to get more people into the sport you will need to make time to welcome them. If I saw someone watching trap or clays I would usually ask if they wanted to try. Get them set up, walk them through stance and saftey, then throw a 4 or 6 birds for them between a round. More often than not those people came back.

Granted this is not done during a match setting.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Personally its time and $. Currently working 12-15hr days 7 days a week just trying to keep afloat.

I think a lot of new shooters to any sport ate turned off by the reception they receive from those running the event and seasoned shooters.

I have helped run trap and sporting clays events mostly and been to plenty of other events.

To seasoned shooters I would say remember whete you came from. People shooting an event for the first time are nervous and will need more time. Comments, groans and a generally poor attitude will not be missed by these people and not make them want to come back.

To people running events I would say be careful of your demeanor. I know of one shoot that turned 3 shooters away from pins.

My friend was shooting his first match (in door range) and was grazing the 2x4. The RO kept telling him lower right) meaning move up and left. When I looked at the wood stand there were 5 shots in a 2 in long area each about 1/8" lower than the last moving to the right and a little bit lower. Another RO exploded yelling and screaming and telling him to get off the line for hitting the stand.

Another friend 1st time shooter who was already nervous refused to shoot his second round and third new shooter decided to to leave as well after the RO blew up a second time.

If you want to get more people into the sport you will need to make time to welcome them. If I saw someone watching trap or clays I would usually ask if they wanted to try. Get them set up, walk them through stance and saftey, then throw a 4 or 6 birds for them between a round. More often than not those people came back.

I started shooting pins because I'd just been certified on our practical ranges and walked over to a pin match to see what was going on. Tony was running it, and asked me if I'd like to try it after the current round finished. He offered to let me use his gun too. You can't be much more welcoming than that. That was five or six years ago, and I've been shooting pins ever since in the leagues at our club.

This as well. Had a glorified doc catcher (cop from a small town) telling me I was holding my pistol and rifle wrong. I was literally 2 months out of Afghanistan on my second tour. He proceeded to tell me that the army way was wrong. I asked him what service he was part of-he said none. Pretty much told him to pound sand.

But I can't imagine some new shooter would come back if someone was trying to be a tool to them and point out their faults in a public forum. Yes I know a hurt feelings report and it's probably a very rare occurance. But taking the time with the newer shooters and getting them on point with how things run might draw some more folks into the sport. Enough said.

- - - Updated - - -

This as well. Had a glorified dog catcher (cop from a small town) telling me I was holding my pistol and rifle wrong. I was literally 2 months out of Afghanistan on my second tour. He proceeded to tell me that the army way was wrong. I asked him what service he was part of-he said none. Pretty much told him to pound sand.

But I can't imagine some new shooter would come back if someone was trying to be a tool to them and point out their faults in a public forum. Yes I know a hurt feelings report and it's probably a very rare occurance. But taking the time with the newer shooters and getting them on point with how things run might draw some more folks into the sport. Enough said.

Yes and that's great. I have been to a few shoots and they have been good. I guess what makes me hesitate is that some of the personalities that show up. I like to shoot have fun and maybe learn a thing or two. One guy refused to talk to anyone as it would mess up his shooting mojo-relax Francis.

at a match that has some serious coin on the table i can see this.
this is partly why i didnt ask why people do not compete in shoots and matches vs participate.

This as well. Had a glorified doc catcher (cop from a small town) telling me I was holding my pistol and rifle wrong. I was literally 2 months out of Afghanistan on my second tour. He proceeded to tell me that the army way was wrong. I asked him what service he was part of-he said none. Pretty much told him to pound sand.

- - - Updated - - -

This as well. Had a glorified dog catcher (cop from a small town) telling me I was holding my pistol and rifle wrong. I was literally 2 months out of Afghanistan on my second tour. He proceeded to tell me that the army way was wrong. I asked him what service he was part of-he said none. Pretty much told him to pound sand.

there is always this person around. Now it can be argued that the "military" training is wrong for competition? there are some older military guys that will say the newer guys are not trained in marksmenship ansd so on and so on.
If I find someone is really interfering with my time i will politely say so. all though i can say some of the guys who have given me help you need thick skin to take thier advice... get past that and they will almost always having you shoot better in a short period of time.

This guy did not talk the whole match. Like nothing. It's a local shooting match. not William tell.

I was squadded with a guy like that at the high power in Vermont (he was not local, so not a reflection on Vermonsters). Other guy in our squad was great. I don't talk when someone is shooting, so it's not that. Not even much of a response when I mentioned I gave him the benefit of the doubt for one shot at one of the scoring rings. Maybe he was offended that I thought he could have scored a '9', LOL. He did talk about one score that was clearly next lowest when via his scope he thought higher. No argument when I stated there was a clear border between his shot and the X ring.

Again, he was the exception. On the flip side, if you are antisocial a rifle match will not force you to be social if you don't want to be.

Just curious to what is keeping shooters from participating.

Trying to figure out how to increase participation.

So anyone have some input.

Not enough around here. I like BPCR, and want to go to silhouette matches, but they are hard to find in NE, all the good ones are far.
I also shoot muskets and would like to compete with those but no luck. :(

I do realize not everyone likes what I like, which reflects on the competitions clubs offer.

+1 Every match I've ever shot there has always been many people willing to help out the new guys/gals.

Long ago, I took a Service Rifle clinic at Woburn Sportsmen's. We were each paired up with an experienced shooter as a coach. I believe that the guy coaching me had shot with one of the service teams (I think the Army Marksmanship Unit). He was a totally awesome coach. He helped me calm down and focus.

I've been competing all over New England for 6 or 7 years, and I can count on one hand how many times I've come across bad attitudes in the squads. IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun, Steel, practical shotgun... ect ect ect to me the people I compete against are some of the bets folks I've met shooting. every once in a while you will get a person who is a jerk, but they are the exception not the rule.
if anybody wants to give it a try, send me a PM and we can meet up for your first match. if you need gear I have loaner sets, The guys I try to squad with will be more than happy to help you get squared away in which ever discipline you want to try to shoot.

More than anything else, the issue for me is well-in-advance scheduling.

Pioneer in Dunbarton has their 2017 IDPA schedule up already; that, for me, is perfect.

Most groups don't post their match dates until much later, and some don't post them more than three months into the future. For me, usually, short notice isn't enough notice. If I know the various schedules well in advance, such as with Pioneer's, the planning is fairly simple

AGREE 100% the reason I shoot CMP at OCSA and NRA at reading is they have thier schedules available early enough for me to plan... also they seem to keep the same pattern of the schedules... 3 sunday of the month for example.

I already have 5 of the 10 range days planned for 2017

Not enough around here. I like BPCR, and want to go to silhouette matches, but they are hard to find in NE, all the good ones are far.
I also shoot muskets and would like to compete with those but no luck. :(

I do realize not everyone likes what I like, which reflects on the competitions clubs offer.

black powder is pretty busy at OCSA in pembroke. Hanson usd to have a big turn out and some reason between the club and the guy running it things got sour. he left and so did the event.

i would love to do silhouette we had one match about 10 years ago and the turn out was about 15 shooters. over half said it was to hard... i dont think the high score was more than 35-40 out of 60 targets.?.... i loved it even though my 2 scores combined couldnt bust a 30!

Are there any classes or instructors geared towards competitive shooting?

Wondering if anyone has ever taken any classes like that. I would think many like me, shy in jumping right into a match would greatly benefit from it.

Are there any classes or instructors geared towards competitive shooting?

Wondering if anyone has ever taken any classes like that. I would think many like me, shy in jumping right into a match would greatly benefit from it.
We run and "intro to USPSA shooting" class at Hopkinton every March.

Back
Top Bottom