• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What keeps shooters from participating in organized shoots and matches.

mac1911

NES Member
Just curious to what is keeping shooters from participating.

Trying to figure out how to increase participation.

So anyone have some input.

I can say part of it for me is that I'm not proud of my current level of skill. I know that shooting in matches would be the fastest way to get better... but the other part is that having a young kid cuts down on free time.

Stage fright. At least for me anyway. Plus the little one takes time to raise properly.

I used to shoot some competitions when I was younger. But my skill, eyesight, and practice time have all gone down significantly.

So I would say, for me it's mostly that I wouldn't want to slow everyone else down, be in the way, or embarrass myself.

Always on weekends.

You know when I'm bored? Tuesday night. I can slip in a steel shooting match occasionally on a Monday, but with weekends busy all the time I never get out to do the fun stuff.

For me its time. I used to shoot steel on Monday nights, and I really enjoy it. Its very convenient for me as I live about 1/4 mile away from my club. My skill level increased, and my confidence increased as well.
The more people that got involved, the less time I was able to shoot. I think the last time I arrived at 6:40pm(I want to help set up) and left at almost 10pm because I want to stay to help clean up. I shot 3 times.
I get frustrated and tired just standing around for so long.
The shoot is run very well, and I like all the assistance everyone gives to each other and would never change it! But 3 hours and maybe 10 minutes of actual shooting? For me that drove me away, for now.

Convenience for me really. Both in finding out what's going on as well as actually going to it. I would love to start to shoot competitively but I already drive an hour each way to shoot at the range. It would have to be close and convenient.

i will say however that I could easily swing a "one night a week after work" than most weekends. I'm already booked out with the Mrs. thru February.

I'm more of a spontaneity guy now but I do miss the amount of shooting I was doing and the guys I was doing it with. Some of us were real ball breakers to each other.

Skill level or lack of on my part

That certainly goes for me too. It is hard for me to improve my shooting skills, when I only get to the range once or twice a month. Part of my problem too, is that I never really learned the basics of target shooting. I have watched a few UTube vids, but they only helped a little. There is really no substitute for range time.

Structure. I love shooting to relax and be by myself. I have enough rules to follow without adding more.
Doesn't seem like fun. Then again, I used to get picked last for kickball and didn't like group games ever since.

Finding time and shoots that are relatively close. I wouldn't mind doing some high power stuff but I suck at making time.

I hear the time thing... I have my potential matches scheduled by mid March.

- - - Updated - - -

Always on weekends.

You know when I'm bored? Tuesday night. I can slip in a steel shooting match occasionally on a Monday, but with weekends busy all the time I never get out to do the fun stuff.

Yeah weekday shoots would be great but work generally gets in the way for most.

back in the day, i shot ipsc. gotta get that first match out of the way, down hill from there. but driving over an hour to shoot for like 6 minutes, nah...not for me.

That certainly goes for me too. It is hard for me to improve my shooting skills, when I only get to the range once or twice a month. Part of my problem too, is that I never really learned the basics of target shooting. I have watched a few UTube vids, but they only helped a little. There is really no substitute for range time.

I under stand this
Although my scores have gone up even though I shoot less.
When I go to the range now it's generally for a match or a shoot of some type.
I do more practice at home. Dry fire in positions and I shoot a pellet gun to keep me from getting rusty.
I get out 10 times a year. Plan every trip months to year ahead. It's not easy.

- - - Updated - - -

back in the day, i shot ipsc. gotta get that first match out of the way, down hill from there. but driving over an hour to shoot for like 6 minutes, nah...not for me.

This I understand .... why some types of shoots need other activities to keep you busy.?

Don't worry it should be about doing your best...I feel like if you go feeling the need to "win" your not going to have much fun anyway. You will improve if you go and get the ones that do shoot well to guide you along.

Structure. I love shooting to relax and be by myself. I have enough rules to follow without adding more.
Doesn't seem like fun. Then again, I used to get picked last for kickball and didn't like group games ever since.

Yeah I know several people like yourself.... might be best you stay home[smile]
I kid but I get it.

I have my 6 month old every Saturday while the wife works and Sundays are usually spent doing all the crap I don't have time for after work during the week.

Work Schedule....its hard enough to get my son to Jr. Rifle.
Weekend schedules are full, and I'd rather shoot off my own porch in NH.

Weekdays....Add to the fact that the indoor at SRG has been closed for over 5 weeks to tie in a freaking drain......and no shooting outside after sunset, and now they want to jack the membership rate up by 70%

I'm more of a spontaneity guy now but I do miss the amount of shooting I was doing and the guys I was doing it with. Some of us were real ball breakers to each other.

Seriously fun ....I for one like the ball breaking and the 50 seconds of bragging rights

- - - Updated - - -

My wife wont let me Consort with any NES members.[laugh]

Dean

Let's not bring in that hurdle.... continuous battle for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Work Schedule....its hard enough to get my son to Jr. Rifle.
Weekend schedules are full, and I'd rather shoot off my own porch in NH.

Weekdays....Add to the fact that the indoor at SRG has been closed for over 5 weeks to tie in a freaking drain......and no shooting outside after sunset, and now they want to jack the membership rate up by 70%

I,expect my shooting to dwindle more if my kids take it up.
Sunset rule .....I'm used to that .
Shooting off my porch.... I think if I could do that I probably would only do postal matches!

NES is my primary sample for what the gun community around here is like and NES is filled with people whose behavior I find disgusting. I have no desire to associate with these people, so I don't.

I see a few answered "my skill level is too low".

DO NOT let that deter you! EVERYBODY sucks the first few times you shoot a new discipline.

Speaking for Highpower Rifle and Bullseye Pistol, they are ego killers.

Back
Top Bottom