What keeps shooters from participating in organized shoots and matches.

I wouldn't let lack of skill deter you. I'm nothing special at marksmanship but I am always trying to improve. The match at Pembroke was great because everyone was willing to answer questions and provide tips. It was welcoming and I plan to go back. That alone makes it worth the time, but I do like competing, for its own sake, not to win necessarily.

So if anyone feels like they would be out of their depth, don't worry about it. You might just end up hooked.

Just curious to what is keeping shooters from participating.

Trying to figure out how to increase participation.

So anyone have some input.
Scheduling conflicts. I carved out a weekend in March for the two-day USPSA class at Hopkinton with every intention of "doing" the summer matches. And then darned if I haven't had a client project on my desk on every match day since. And client projects trump all, since that's what pays the bills.

For lots of people (as displayed on this forum) enthusiasts are either super helpful and supportive or super douchey. I've been shooting for close to 40 years through military service professional shooting and competing. Its the same at every level with the ribbing and support. My first 3 gun was a catastrophe as was my second and third. You just have to push through and practice.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I wouldn't let lack of skill deter you. I'm nothing special at marksmanship but I am always trying to improve. The match at Pembroke was great because everyone was willing to answer questions and provide tips. It was welcoming and I plan to go back. That alone makes it worth the time, but I do like competing, for its own sake, not to win necessarily.

So if anyone feels like they would be out of their depth, don't worry about it. You might just end up hooked.

Just remember the CMP is actually intended for new shooters not so much a match to go out and win. Oh and if your afraid of your lack of skills don't be.
Only real skill needed is to be safe and ability to listen.
Everything else can be improved upon.

So what ever you equipment there is always a spot for you on a line somewhere...
Now so far the most humbling event I have shot is metallic silhouette... those fricken chickens!
I,only have done it a few times as it is not to popular locally.
My best score was 25/60 with my average being 17/60. It's fun I love it and do some air rifle work here at home...but man does it test your skills.
Just standing long enough to run the targets can be a challenge.

I get enough shit from my wife from training in jiu jitsu 4-5 times a week... telling her I'll be gone for 4 hours on a Saturday and she has the kids?

Ha.

I see a few answered "my skill level is too low".

DO NOT let that deter you! EVERYBODY sucks the first few times you shoot a new discipline.

Speaking for Highpower Rifle and Bullseye Pistol, they are ego killers.

Hey, let's not generalize, here. I've been shooting Bullseye Pistol for three seasons, now and I still suck! [laugh] Perhaps old[er] eyes and iron sights are part of it.

I try to shoot over my average.

I do that at Trap, too....but I suck less.

Stage freight and lack of time due to work and family really keeps me from competing I guess.

I left out competing in the question for a reason. I don't look at going to organised matches or shoots to compete or win. Yes it's nice but if I went to compete I would most likely not be happy...I would put to much on "winning" which I learned only takes away from my focus. I just go . Be aware of my fundamentals don't rush and relax I always shoot better.
I really did not think I was going to do well at a cmp modern military match few weeks ago. Shooting a so so rifle and 4moa ammo I,surprised myself with a 474/500..

Now on the garand match I knew I would have to really struggle to score well.
The rifle I used is not the best shooter and again I used surplus ammo.
I ended up 8 points out of the top 3... and was THRILLED

Partially skill level (only have been shooting for 6 mo.). Partially shyness (don't have any friends that shoot and too shy to just jump in). Partially ignorance (not aware of what is available in my area).

sent from my phone.

I used to shoot some competitions when I was younger. But my skill, eyesight, and practice time have all gone down significantly.

So I would say, for me it's mostly that I wouldn't want to slow everyone else down, be in the way, or embarrass myself.

You probably won't slow anyone else down enough to notice. Things like USPSA are pretty welcoming of all skill levels, the only thing you have to be "good" at is safety, which isn't that difficult.

-Mike

I can say part of it for me is that I'm not proud of my current level of skill. I know that shooting in matches would be the fastest way to get better... but the other part is that having a young kid cuts down on free time.

No one cares how slow you are. As long as you a) don't scare the crap out of us, b) help paste targets, and c) are a good sport, then you will be welcomed.

Of course, your buddies may bust your chops when you screw up ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NES is my primary sample for what the gun community around here is like and NES is filled with people whose behavior I find disgusting. I have no desire to associate with these people, so I don't.

Most people are far nicer in person than online. It is easy to hide behind your keyboard and vent your spleen.

I find a lack of information is the only reason I'm not more active. If someone wants to point me to where to read up on where I can hone my skills with my 1911, I'd be interested.

Search Amazon for books by Ben Stoeger and Mike Seeklander.

NES is my primary sample for what the gun community around here is like and NES is filled with people whose behavior I find disgusting. I have no desire to associate with these people, so I don't.

You're doing yourself a disservice, gun boards are not the "real world" WRT competitive shooting. Nobody is going to get into retarded discussions, etc. As long as your safe that's all anyone will actually care about. I used to shoot bowling pins with a guy who got banned here because he was a flaming moonbat and trolled the shit out of people online. But in person he was pretty normal and a very good shot.... [laugh] Even people with bad attitudes usually leave them at home when shooting a match.

-Mike

I am not competing much any more as at almost 85 not much works as it once did. I ran NRA Silhouette matches for over 12 years and saw many different reason for shooters not to participate. The biggest reason, often denied, is lack of confidence and not wanting to damage ones own ego.It takes a big swallow of pride to jump in and look poorly. Many will not do it. Part of the problem is the reactions and comments by the good shooters. We need to police our comments and not make the beginners feel bad. I was usually the only one who would motion over someone watching practice and let them try 10-15 shots. Many were surprised at how easy it could be when set up properly.
The other reason which many times I saw was that of cost. To jump into a new sport can be intimidating cost wise, not to mention the cost of matches. Many quality guns are expensive so I would let beginners borrow until they felt more confident. The excuse I used was try out many guns until you find what works for you.

I don't look at going to organised matches or shoots to compete or win. Yes it's nice but if I went to compete I would most likely not be happy...I would put to much on "winning" which I learned only takes away from my focus. I just go . Be aware of my fundamentals don't rush and relax I always shoot better.

Same here, my goal is to get progressively better scores as the season progresses. I'm really just trying to beat myself.

One of the first HP matches I ever shot was with a Service Grand Garand. The week before I had the bright idea around replacing the gas plug because I thought it was more "correct" for the rifle. Little did I know, the plug was gummed up and would intermittently disable the semi auto functionality. I can still remember the Match Director yelling at me during Rapid Fire going "You're not supposed to work the op rod between shots!".

Same here, my goal is to get progressively better scores as the season progresses. I'm really just trying to beat myself.

One of the first HP matches I ever shot was with a Service Grand Garand. The week before I had the bright idea around replacing the gas plug because I thought it was more "correct" for the rifle. Little did I know, the plug was gummed up and would intermittently disable the semi auto functionality. I can still remember the Match Director yelling at me during Rapid Fire going "You're not supposed to work the op rod between shots!".

What did he want you to do quit? I,have had plenty of on the line issues.
Starting with being left handed[smile]
Franco has criticised my handedness from the get go.
I did shoot one match just to see what he would say...I came in 2 points behind him.

One of the things you learn competing is that it is risky to dink with your gun before the match. We've all done it and we've all learned the same lesson.

I did shoot one match just to see what he would say...I came in 2 points behind him.

We're friends now...

Point was, I had no idea what I was doing and shot horribly.

Kept coming back though and have definitely improved a little

Once Franco criticized my sitting position, but I'm glad he did because it helped. I still hate sitting the most, even more than offhand.

Bring the family, its how they learn.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Things brings up a another good point. KIDS
If the club's can come up with a way to keep kids occupied for 3-5hrs even if it cost (I pay a baby sitter as it is now) that could boost turn out.!

Lol, that bean pole is one of the dudes I'd drop everything for if he needed something in an emergency. I used him as an example for the funnies. He's my little spoon.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

LOL, bait taken...

No wonder you catch crap for your left-handedness. It seems to be an unfair advantage. [smile]

I need to get my act together with the Garand, but shot a 95 rapid sitting at the NE Regionals with an AR. For me, I'm happy with that score. At my first Pembroke match Franco provided me with some solid instruction with lots of 'gentle' guidance for proper sitting position. Mentioning this because as a newb I received some excellent instruction that has helped a lot afterward.

Even if you don't plan to compete regularly or ever again, there are some valuable lessons and skills to be learned from attending one or two matches just for the experience.

I have been wanted to getting into competitive shooting for a couple of years now, just feel I'm not at that level yet and that's what has kept me from participating, and I'm not that young either. I also get nervous easily but I have decided to jump in this year. I need to start practice with some of you guys before a real match.

Just wanted to add to push myself I spent $40 and purchased USPSA membership.

Last edited:
I have been wanted to getting into competitive shooting for a couple of years now, just feel I'm not at that level yet and that's what has kept me from participating, and I'm not that young either. I also get nervous easily but I have decided to jump in this year. I need to start practice with some of you guys before a real match.

how can you get better if you don't set a baseline?

Back
Top Bottom