What keeps shooters from participating in organized shoots and matches.

NES is my primary sample for what the gun community around here is like and NES is filled with people whose behavior I find disgusting. I have no desire to associate with these people, so I don't.

LOL....I've met 6 or 7 of what I would call close friends via NES, guys I know I could count on for nearly anything, and I would reciprocate. Don't be so quick to knock everyone down because of dudes like Atilla.

As to the OP's question, it's a matter of time. Working 5.5 days a week, and having a little one certainly impacts what I can do for matches. I've promised myself that I would shoot some steel challenge next summer though, we'll see.

time & distance. but the one match and one organized shoot I did were awesome. planning to do more next year. 1+ hr drive to location plus a two-year-old at home makes planning more essential.

I shot USPSA for a season. Had a good time. Learned a lot. Got a bit better. Met some cool people.

But I haven't been back for the past 2 seasons. The time commitment is just too great with 2 kids at home.

I would be more likely to come to another event if they ran 3 hours instead of 5-6 hours. Same reason I haven't played as much golf. I still hit the golf and shooting ranges for an hour or two at a time but being unavailable to help with the kids for more than half a day isn't possible.

I think there are two types of people who participate in organized shoots and matches. 1- those who go for the competition, or to test their skills against others. 2- those who go to socialize with people who share a common interest -shooting

There are very many different types of organized shooting events. Some specific to type 1 people, or type 2, or may apply to both.

I am a competitive shooter.

I have a drive to win. I enjoy being challenged. I practice specific drills to improve my skill set. I analyze my performance, find the weaknesses and work to correct them.

Today I went to and won a match. I was there for 3 hours (a short match by comparison to many) and my total time for the match was 89 seconds. Less than one and a half minutes. But I spent the entire 3 hours with good company. I have made many great friends since I started shooting competitively.

I think there are two types of people who participate in organized shoots and matches. 1- those who go for the competition, or to test their skills against others. 2- those who go to socialize with people who share a common interest -shooting

There are very many different types of organized shooting events. Some specific to type 1 people, or type 2, or may apply to both.

I am a competitive shooter.

I have a drive to win. I enjoy being challenged. I practice specific drills to improve my skill set. I analyze my performance, find the weaknesses and work to correct them.

Today I went to and won a match. I was there for 3 hours (a short match by comparison to many) and my total time for the match was 89 seconds. Less than one and a half minutes. But I spent the entire 3 hours with good company. I have made many great friends since I started shooting competitively.

Very true.... I shoot against myself as my lack of real practice keeps me from being good enough to shoot well.... at my club I do ok and have a few trinket prizes but it's all personal goal for me.
Next year I'm going the MA NRA service rifle championship. Don't really care how I do I just want to see how well I can do.

No interest in competition shooting.

Back in the mid-1970s, learning to shoot, I asked advice of bullseye shooters and shot with the pistol team for home matches one season. I was also going to grad school 2 nights/week plus spending all day Sundays at the range practicing. I don't know how I did it back then, but I don't have the time these days to do all the practicing necessary to shoot competitively plus dedicate set days each week/month/etc. for the competitions themselves.

Like someone else stated, I also got a dose of cold water thrown on my desire to compete by those running the matches at the club I belonged to back then. I'd show up early so I could leave early, only to find that those running the matches setup all their buddies (who always arrived later) in the 1st and 2nd strings, so I had to wait around 1-2 hours before I could shoot in the 3rd string each time. They also refused to submit my scores to NRA to get a rating, insisting that I'd have to shoot one of the weekend NRA competitions and pay in order for them to send in my scores. The pistol team was a very cliquey group, there was no tolerance for different views or interests, according to them there was only one pizza joint in the world with good pizza and I just wasn't their type of pizza and beer guy (they did this after each match).

The above club was very close to my home, whereas now my clubs are 45 and 20 minutes from home, so I don't just zip over for a bit when I feel like it as I did in the early days.

Then add in that my eyesight is nowhere near as good as back 40 yrs ago, progressive bifocals make proper sight picture a pain, and I'm much happier shooting for fun and practice defensive tactics instead.

Last edited:
NES is my primary sample for what the gun community around here is like and NES is filled with people whose behavior I find disgusting. I have no desire to associate with these people, so I don't.

From what I've seen of internet forums the guys that talk to most aren't the ones that actually go to the events. [rofl]

Level of skill. That and I feel like I promise myself I'm going to hit the range every two weeks or so and it never happens.

Ive had an interest in the 3 gun cowboy style competition but as I mentioned above I'm still "developing" my skill level.[smile]

I see a few answered "my skill level is too low".

DO NOT let that deter you! EVERYBODY sucks the first few times you shoot a new discipline.

Speaking for Highpower Rifle and Bullseye Pistol, they are ego killers.

This right here. Nobody will give you crap for not being a top shot. You will get support and tips.

My first highpower match was dismal at best, but I practiced when I could and made it to pretty good. I'm nowhere near good enough to win, but I shoot for me and I shoot for team score. I have fun and hang out with some pretty good people.

This right here. Nobody will give you crap for not being a top shot. You will get support and tips.

Yep. I started to dabble in IDPA about a year ago. I've learned a ton and while still not a great competitor I have fun and hang out with some cool people.

There is definitely something to the "stage freight" thing..a lot of people feel they need to be great before they shoot with a group.

I find a lack of information is the only reason I'm not more active. If someone wants to point me to where to read up on where I can hone my skills with my 1911, I'd be interested.

No interest in competition shooting.

Back in the mid-1970s, learning to shoot, I asked advice of bullseye shooters and shot with the pistol team for home matches one season. I was also going to grad school 2 nights/week plus spending all day Sundays at the range practicing. I don't know how I did it back then, but I don't have the time these days to do all the practicing necessary to shoot competitively plus dedicate set days each week/month/etc. for the competitions themselves.

Like someone else stated, I also got a dose of cold water thrown on my desire to compete by those running the matches at the club I belonged to back then. I'd show up early so I could leave early, only to find that those running the matches setup all their buddies (who always arrived later) in the 1st and 2nd strings, so I had to wait around 1-2 hours before I could shoot in the 3rd string each time. They also refused to submit my scores to NRA to get a rating, insisting that I'd have to shoot one of the weekend NRA competitions and pay in order for them to send in my scores. The pistol team was a very cliquey group, there was no tolerance for different views or interests, according to them there was only one pizza joint in the world with good pizza and I just wasn't their type of pizza and beer guy (they did this after each match).

The above club was very close to my home, whereas now my clubs are 45 and 20 minutes from home, so I don't just zip over for a bit when I feel like it as I did in the early days.

Then add in that my eyesight is nowhere near as good as back 40 yrs ago, progressive bifocals make proper sight picture a pain, and I'm much happier shooting for fun and practice defensive tactics instead.

This I understand also as far as submitting scores ....well if the match is a local league and is not a sanctioned or approved match they don't send scores in.
For example I shoot cmp mostly. One club is a cmp shoot which is held 2 times a month one sat one Sunday every month. It's run like a match. Although it is not a sanctioned/approved match so no scores are sent in.

I do feel your frustration though because I went out of my way to shoot NRA service rifle at a sanctioned/aproved match/league and told my scores would be sent in. Felt I wasted 2 years because my scores where never sent in. You could how ever use the scores for the DIY NRA shooting achievement thing. I have expert in trap.... patches and plaques don't really mean much to me so I never went after the other areas pistol,rifle and so on.
Gave up on the why or how come but talking to others at other clubs said many times they won't send in scores if it will affect someone's average who competes at a more involved level... I don't know nor do I care. Sucks though that stuff happens.

The entire inner circle shit sucks. Although unless you get directly involved that seems to go on for every...
It's like the trap and sleet ranges that let people sign up for as many lines as they want. Even worse when a entire squad shows up and signs in for 4-5 rounds...

Last edited:
I'm 50 years old and just learned to shoot a couple of years ago. A lot of the people competing literally have four decades' worth of experience on me. Plus my eyesight isn't getting any better with age.

As a result my marksmanship isn't great. It's "good enough", and getting better with practice, but I don't think I'll ever be good enough to compete against someone who was taught to shoot when their age was in the single digits.

Just curious to what is keeping shooters from participating.

Trying to figure out how to increase participation.

So anyone have some input.

For me, it's the time commitment. It's several hours and I have 3 kids and work 50+hour work week. It wouldn't work to make the matches shorter, it's just is what it is. Before kids, I shot IDPA and hope to do it again soon now that the kids are getting older.

stage fright having all these people watching me ,

not having enough of a competitive mindset

traveling long distances when your a college student due to cost.

and of course spending time studying or other recreational activities that are close by and cost nothing .

I find a lack of information is the only reason I'm not more active. If someone wants to point me to where to read up on where I can hone my skills with my 1911, I'd be interested.

I agree lack of info sucks..
I didn't even know the trap range existed at my first club for 5 years!

So to all the club's and those on committees
There is no reason why a club can't send out email information on a regular basis.
Club meetings are not always informative...
I only found out about NRA service rifle by accident..

TO all the people saying they're not good enough or don't want to embarass themselves - nonsense! My first match (or five) I was one of the least accurate shooters there - no one ever made me feel like the loser I was and, on the contrary, everyone was supportive. The only requirement is to be SAFE so come out and shoot with us! Friday after Thanksgiving there's an IDPA match at Harvard!

I raced karts in the early 80's and had my share of having to be somewhere at a specific time. Shooting is not my only hobby and go when I want.

Yeah, more specifics in order here. Generally speaking, the bad actors often get a temporary or even permanent vacation from the forum.

LOL....I've met 6 or 7 of what I would call close friends via NES, guys I know I could count on for nearly anything, and I would reciprocate. Don't be so quick to knock everyone down because of dudes like Atilla.

I would not have considered Atilla to be one of the bad ones. Some of his posts might offend (not me but others...) but I have bumped into him at prior NES shoots and he's a good guy- the type that would bring his most prized safe queen to a NES shoot and offer to let you shoot it.

From what I've seen of internet forums the guys that talk to most aren't the ones that actually go to the events. [rofl]

And this is the most important point. Lots of great folks at NES events and same for matches. There's always a couple that might not be your favorite person, but the overwhelming majority are great. That reminds me that I need to contact one of several NES friends for a get together...

Anyway, a very high percentage of people I have met at matches are very friendly and helpful. In particular, the CMP 'Games' matches for the vintage stuff are a blast and relatively laid back. Ball busting, if any, is all in good fun and never to embarrass a beginner. I have not attended Camp Perry yet but even at the regional match this fall I thought the folks were great. I've run into a couple odd duck high power shooters- that's OK if one or two are a bit antisocial and/or over the top competitive as it's an individual sport that might attract those types. Again, the majority were really nice.

I'll close by stating that many of those who are the usual suspects at matches are extremely happy to see the ranks grow. If a newb is having a terrible time, those people have a sincere desire to help as long as they are not in the middle of trying not to mess up their own targest. [smile]

I agree lack of info sucks..
I didn't even know the trap range existed at my first club for 5 years!

So to all the club's and those on committees
There is no reason why a club can't send out email information on a regular basis.
Club meetings are not always informative...
I only found out about NRA service rifle by accident..

Actually these days clubs should use their website to promote what they have for facilities and events. Some do it and do it well, others not so well . . . and my first club (in my prior post) does not have a website or any external exposure even to this day, and that is intentional on their part.

I prefer to go shooting most when I want to just clear my head and be left to my thoughts. Hard to have that environment with a line full of people standing next to you.

I'm 50 years old and just learned to shoot a couple of years ago. A lot of the people competing literally have four decades' worth of experience on me. Plus my eyesight isn't getting any better with age.

As a result my marksmanship isn't great. It's "good enough", and getting better with practice, but I don't think I'll ever be good enough to compete against someone who was taught to shoot when their age was in the single digits.

Go have fun, compete with yourself or find someone with similar ability and wager a 6-pack for 'tightest group' or something. If it's not fun, you won't do it, so go have some fun.

Actually these days clubs should use their website to promote what they have for facilities and events. Some do it and do it well, others not so well . . . and my first club (in my prior post) does not have a website or any external exposure even to this day, and that is intentional on their part.

Yeah I get the no advertising thing and they probably love the non active members... one club I belong to used to call the members who join and don't come the perfect member.

- - - Updated - - -

Go have fun, compete with yourself or find someone with similar ability and wager a 6-pack for 'tightest group' or something. If it's not fun, you won't do it, so go have some fun.

This.... if you don't have fun then you know not to come back.

I find it harder to get friends to the range than strangers to match.

Yeah, more specifics in order here. Generally speaking, the bad actors often get a temporary or even permanent vacation from the forum.

I would not have considered Atilla to be one of the bad ones. Some of his posts might offend (not me but others...) but I have bumped into him at prior NES shoots and he's a good guy- the type that would bring his most prized safe queen to a NES shoot and offer to let you shoot it....

Lol, that bean pole is one of the dudes I'd drop everything for if he needed something in an emergency. I used him as an example for the funnies. He's my little spoon.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

The aholes you run across here are armchair commandos and you will never see them at a group shoot or a match. If they did they would be removed post haste. Nobody will put up with that at a match.

I just got home from the Worcester Pistol and Rifle Pin Shoot and it was a great time. I'm a crap shooter as I don't have enough time to practice and out of the 30 or so shooters at the range today, I was mid level at best. In a couple heats I was matched up against expert shooters and got my butt handed to me thoroughly, but you know, it was OK. I got faster and more accurate as the day went, I talked with people I didn't know and we all laughed and had a great time. If you think about it, that's what it's all about. Having fun with like minded people and getting trigger time. I see people complain about being bored shooting paper all the time. Well, this will definitely get your blood pumping.

Back
Top Bottom