What keeps shooters from participating in organized shoots and matches.

Stupid "safety" rules that have nothing to do with actual safety. Like having to unload a firearm or carry it around empty.

In real life you don't unload and clear your gun after you shoot someone. You top it off. Maybe start enforcing that and training people correctly and I'd consider competing again.

You learn some of the worst habits at competitions.

The last competition I went to they had a no carrying a loaded firearm rule. It wasn't hard to decide I don't need to hang around with people who are scared of loaded firearms.

I get where you are coming from. Lots of the rules are 2+ steps of stupid away from someone getting hurt. Guns are kept unloaded because inevitably someone will want to finger bang their gun during the match or they will drop it while on the shitter etc. The safety rules are dumbed down because of the dumb.

When you do drills with your buddies, you run hot, you trust each other. you probably wouldn't let some creeper off the streets wearing a holster sewn into sweatpants shoot with you. Well I have to, I wished I had a loaded gun, but was happy that his had to be unloaded.

Its funny that this post popped up at this time. I am interested in joining a club. They have an upcoming public steel plate match The club is under 10 miles form me. Have heard good things about it but do not know a single person who is a member. I talked to a friend of a friend who was a member a few years ago beofre moving across the state. He tells me that they are prettty welcoming of new members and just go to a couple of there public events and you will easily meet someone to sponsor you. I am not a shy person but hesitant to go to club where I dont know anyone to try and make friends. I dont mind shooting around other people but it has always been a kind of personal hobby for me. Usually just myself,a friend or the wife.

I do have an interest in shooting competitively but have never done so. Dont want to look like an idiot in front of a group of guys i am trying to get in good with. Safety procedures are not a concern. More of the general procedures for an actual match. On top of that have always trained with my handguns at 10-20 feet max. These steel plates at this match are at 25 ft. Was at the range the other day and found out i am not that good over 20 feet.

I think i might just go to watch this upcoming match and maybe actually join in on the next 1

Its funny that this post popped up at this time. I am interested in joining a club. They have an upcoming public steel plate match The club is under 10 miles form me. Have heard good things about it but do not know a single person who is a member. I talked to a friend of a friend who was a member a few years ago beofre moving across the state. He tells me that they are prettty welcoming of new members and just go to a couple of there public events and you will easily meet someone to sponsor you. I am not a shy person but hesitant to go to club where I dont know anyone to try and make friends. I dont mind shooting around other people but it has always been a kind of personal hobby for me. Usually just myself,a friend or the wife.

I do have an interest in shooting competitively but have never done so. Dont want to look like an idiot in front of a group of guys i am trying to get in good with. Safety procedures are not a concern. More of the general procedures for an actual match. On top of that have always trained with my handguns at 10-20 feet max. These steel plates at this match are at 25 ft. Was at the range the other day and found out i am not that good over 20 feet.

I think i might just go to watch this upcoming match and maybe actually join in on the next 1

Blieve me there are seasoned folks who still can't get through the "procedure" with out delay, forgeting something and so on..... Everyone does it !
Don't be worried or hesitant show up and ask who's in charge of XYZ I would like to shoot XYZ...
What club.

Safety procedures are not a concern. More of the general procedures for an actual match.

Just tell the match director beforehand that you are new and they will help you out. I did that with trap and skeet. No idea of the rules, procedures or how it was shot. Spent years shooting USPSA, and knew that I did not know what the hell I was doing with clay sports. So I checked my ego and had a great time learning a new game

You learn some of the worst habits at competitions.

The last competition I went to they had a no carrying a loaded firearm rule. It wasn't hard to decide I don't need to hang around with people who are scared of loaded firearms.
Nobody is "scared of loaded firearms". It's an acknowledgement that many of the guns are light trigger competition guns in race holsters that have been known to drop a gun. The USPSA rules were changed to explicitly support the concept of arriving at a match "hot" and unloading at the venue.

I doubt anyone is going to go out into the mean streets with an unloaded gun simply because they shoot cold range matches. If you're too good to shoot with the likes of Leatham, Vogel, Michel, Sevigny etc. because they shoot cold range matches and you are a tough, grizzled, street-wise, uber-tactical, high survivability quotient sort who is threatened by the cold range concept, it is debatable if the loss is theirs or yours.

My home club runs cold range matches under USPSA rules but, at other times, the rule is "loaded guns to be unholstered at the firing line only".

Last edited:
I get where you are coming from. Lots of the rules are 2+ steps of stupid away from someone getting hurt. Guns are kept unloaded because inevitably someone will want to finger bang their gun during the match or they will drop it while on the shitter etc. The safety rules are dumbed down because of the dumb.

When you do drills with your buddies, you run hot, you trust each other. you probably wouldn't let some creeper off the streets wearing a holster sewn into sweatpants shoot with you. Well I have to, I wished I had a loaded gun, but was happy that his had to be unloaded.
Its no always "stupid" or "newbies" who do things to get rules in place.
One club I am a member at started the no handling of mags or ammo while range is cold.
A verified instructor and then range safety officer was giving a class.
While the range was cold he was loading mags. Upon finish he inserted mag into pistol and in loaded 8 rounds demostrating rapid fire to the students....while there where still people down range....
Our no draw rule came from a highly ranked pistol shooter who discharged a round into the concrete at his feet the debris almost blinded the person next to him.

So yes some rules are "stupid" and some can be over the top.
But if you have 10 ,20 50 shooters or what have you mucking about with no rules in place bad things will happen.
It's a range and not "real" world. Plus in the "real" world my gun stays holstered unless I intend to shoot something.
I do agree that clubs should at least have a few days through out the year where people can Practice live fire draws with out. "Competition " being held.
Also There are many clubs that just want their club to be a social event for the 10% actively running the club. Some clubs don't want anything more than members plinking. Some clubs are a accident away from getting shut down as it is. Think insurance.
As for having a bunch of people running around with loaded guns on your property how do you think that would go over with your insurance carrier if something where to happen?

I also will add IF you don't like how something is run volunteer to take over as chairman and make the changes to make it better?

Ohh and thanks for getting a simple thread deleted.

Derek lock it up if it gets off line again.

Last edited:
Our no draw rule came from a highly ranked pistol shooter who discharged a round into the concrete at his feet the debris almost blinded the person next to him.
Sounds like an "eye protection mandatory" rule would be a better solution than "no draws".

Ohh and thanks for getting a simple thread deleted.

Derek lock it up if it gets off line again.

No idea how this thread got so personal since the last time I checked it a couple hours ago...But glad to see its opened up.

I live close to Woburn Sportsmen Association, I'm told they have IDPA practice shoots a few times a month on Sunday afternoon/early evening. I've never shoot at anything but paper, my club is pretty lame. Do any of you guys/gals ever shoot there? I'd love to try it....

Sounds like an "eye protection mandatory" rule would be a better solution than "no draws".

I don't know if they where wearing eye protection. I know eye protection and ear pro has been mandatory for at least 20 years.
I think from standing near the chip in the pad is the person was most likely more forward/over the impact and not all shooting glasses offer great protection from objects coming from below and to the sides.
It's just to point out why some rules come about. I think the big issue with this rule was that the shooter was not up to the line. When shooting pistol your supposed to be up to the "line" so the muzzle is out over beyound the pad. Even today you will hear the RSO barking at pistol shooters to get up to the line..... when your at the bench with a rifle your muzzle is out over the line.

All,in all its the club's rules. If they didn't exists at one point and now do is,because enough people screwed up to make those rules come into exsistance.
Now I do wish they had a place to draw fire. I do practice at home unloaded...
Some stupid rules over the years
No clays on the berm. 1st excuse was it causes more wear on the berm..then it's messy.
No spinner targets on the ground now all targets have to be 36" off the ground.
It's just that most rules are in place simply because enough people have been hurt or can't be safe.
It's funny I still shoot at one club my dad belonged to. As a kid this club only provided a back stop and key to the gate. Only rule was you make sure your shots go into the berm direction. You where allowed to do anything you wanted.
There where no benches, tables, enclosures, trash cans, target stands. You brought what ever you needed and took it back out with you.
Things have changed greatly and not so much for the better....is what it is though.

Last edited:
I live close to Woburn Sportsmen Association, I'm told they have IDPA practice shoots a few times a month on Sunday afternoon/early evening. I've never shoot at anything but paper, my club is pretty lame. Do any of you guys/gals ever shoot there? I'd love to try it....

Yes! My first time shooting IDPA was at Woburn last year. It's only like 35-40 min from my house which is very nice. They run a great practice and great matches.

Practice is the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month. Cost is $5. I haven't been to a practice in over a year due to Sunday afternoons being tough for my schedule. But I highly recommend.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...A-Practices-at-Woburn-Sportsmen-s-Association

Edit: Their next match is December 3 which I hope to make and is a USPSA match actually. They're trying to get the club setup for both IDPA and USPSA.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...0-Woburn-Action-Shooters-December-USPSA-Match

Last edited:
thumbs-up.jpg

Last edited:
As for having a bunch of people running around with loaded guns on your property how do you think that would go over with your insurance carrier if something where to happen?
The might say "we sternly disapprove" while paying the claim if the incident was covered (watch out for exclusions - the last I checked, the NRA endorsed exclusions including any hunting accident; anything involving a gun in a vehicle and sexual abuse/assault).

When something fun turns into a competition it forces an increase in participation and expense and control of when and where I participate. I like to shoot and find my challenge is within myself. I don't care to compete with others. I don't care to be part of the grunting chest thumping crowd competing in everything I do. Shooting and all the related activities such as reloading, hunting, and gathering etc is my yoga/zen/meditation time and it has been since I got my first bb gun 48 years ago. I had my competitive time playing team sports for 35 years...baseball mostly.

Are competitions open to the public - or do you have to be a member of the range? I've only done one IDPA shoot and loved it.
I guess for me - AFAIK BR&P doesn't offer any such competitions (where I'm a member); other than the CMP shoot I did once. I'm applying to PF&G - so I'm hoping that they host something regularly.
Otherwise MRA and WSA are close to me as well, but I guess I'm not actively seeking out competitions just yet - but I'd like to start getting into it more.

Are competitions open to the public - or do you have to be a member of the range? I've only done one IDPA shoot and loved it.
I guess for me - AFAIK BR&P doesn't offer any such competitions (where I'm a member); other than the CMP shoot I did once. I'm applying to PF&G - so I'm hoping that they host something regularly.
Otherwise MRA and WSA are close to me as well, but I guess I'm not actively seeking out competitions just yet - but I'd like to start getting into it more.

Yes, almost always open to the public.

Are competitions open to the public - or do you have to be a member of the range?

All clubs in MA (at least for IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge) don't require you to be a member of the club. Though after a 3 matches, you need to be a member of IDPA and get a member number etc. I can't speak for any rifle competitions.

Last edited:

many events are open to the public but your going to have to check with your local clubs that you want to go to..
For instance I know CMP/NRA/IDPA/ATA/Steel plate/Silhouette are usually open to the public type events. From what I understand any national type of oganized shoot/match has to open to the public.
Now what you need to do and how you need to sign up has to be figured out.

I know TRAP, CMP and NRA events have been the easiest for me to just walk in and participate.

All clubs in MA (at least for IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge) don't require you to be a member of the club. Though after a couple matches, I think you need to be a member of IDPA/USPSA and get a member number etc. I can't speak for any rifle competitions.

For USPSA you don't need to be a member to shoot local (Level 1) matches.

I'm not a wealthy guy and I have a few other expensive hobbies. I only became interested in firearms 3 years ago and since then I've been accumulating firearms and ammo as fast as the budget will allow. I'd rather buy now, while I can still get stuff and shoot later. Once I own a fundamental collection of handguns and long guns in key calibers, and a backstock of ammo, I'll actually participate in some events and learn how to use it all.

Generally speaking, I know my club won't host matches and their rules make it almost impossile to practice as well. I also know when they tried to run a competition this past summer, there was so much fuddery involved that enrollment was quite low, which was probably engineered that way because they didn't want to do it in the first place.

I will say having events that don't disenfranchise ordinary shooters will help. The Scoped Rifle Challenge at Wallum Lake last month is a prime example, Ron did a very good job organizing and running it and the turn out was good and had a wide variety of shooters. I doubt my club would be open to a similar event though, which is a shame because the model could be scaled to almost anywhere.

I wish there were more F style shoots though, I don't see those very often.

I can, and do, do all of that without having to deal with overzealous range nazis.

Someone asked a question, I answered. It was a pretty simple fix too I think. Allow us to carry guns like we do everyday.

Sunday my wife was practicing in a tactical pit, working on head shots. Another member of the club walked right into the pit, spoke to her and proceeded to walk further into the pit, directly in her line of fire. He did this while she had a loaded gun in her hands. Stupid/oblivious people are everywhere. Cold ranges at a match are generally setup because trusting everyone is a good way to have something stupid happen.

When I shoot with friends, everyone carries a loaded gun, and everyone communicates. I pick and choose my friends, and don't shoot with people whose gun handling I'm not comfortable with. Not everyone at an event is going to be an expert.

For USPSA you don't need to be a member to shoot local (Level 1) matches.

Yes and that's great. I have been to a few shoots and they have been good. I guess what makes me hesitate is that some of the personalities that show up. I like to shoot have fun and maybe learn a thing or two. One guy refused to talk to anyone as it would mess up his shooting mojo-relax Francis.

When something fun turns into a competition it forces an increase in participation and expense and control of when and where I participate. I like to shoot and find my challenge is within myself. I don't care to compete with others. I don't care to be part of the grunting chest thumping crowd competing in everything I do. Shooting and all the related activities such as reloading, hunting, and gathering etc is my yoga/zen/meditation time and it has been since I got my first bb gun 48 years ago. I had my competitive time playing team sports for 35 years...baseball mostly.

yeah hanging out ass grabbing and playing baseball for 35 years will do that[smile]

Just curious to what is keeping shooters from participating.

Trying to figure out how to increase participation.

So anyone have some input.

More than anything else, the issue for me is well-in-advance scheduling.

Pioneer in Dunbarton has their 2017 IDPA schedule up already; that, for me, is perfect.

Most groups don't post their match dates until much later, and some don't post them more than three months into the future. For me, usually, short notice isn't enough notice. If I know the various schedules well in advance, such as with Pioneer's, the planning is fairly simple

Last edited:
More than anything else, the issue for me is well-in-advance scheduling.

Pioneer in Dunbarton has their 2017 IDPA schedule up already; that, for me, is perfect.

Most groups don't post their match dates until much later, and some don't post them more than three months into the future. For me, usually, short notice isn't enough notice. If I know the various schedules well in advance, such as with Pioneer's, the planning is fairly simple

Harvard posts their schedule in the Pistol Competition forum section in addition to their website:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-IDPA-Match-Schedule-Harvard-Sportsmen-s-Club
http://www.harvardsportsmensclub.com/calendar.html

Worcester also has a schedule:
http://www.wprclub.com/calendar-2016

Woburn also:
http://www.woburnsportsmen.com/schedule.php

Pembroke too:
https://sites.google.com/site/oldcolonysaweb/home/calendar

Pelham:
http://www.pelhamfishandgame.org/google-calendar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom