• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What keeps shooters from participating in organized shoots and matches.

Are there any classes or instructors geared towards competitive shooting?

Wondering if anyone has ever taken any classes like that. I would think many like me, shy in jumping right into a match would greatly benefit from it.

NRA and CMP both offer clinics.
For example at Pembroke MA OCSA the CMP M1 is a clinic/match.
Is it a one on one clinic no. Is it a highly focused clinic no. Will you walk away with a good idea of how the highpower matches are run and learn a few things about shooting better....yes.
I know other clubs offer more comprehensive clinics for beginners and more advanced...
I also know several people who would help anyone if asked.

To people running events I would say be careful of your demeanor. I know of one shoot that turned 3 shooters away from pins.

My friend was shooting his first match (in door range) and was grazing the 2x4. The RO kept telling him lower right) meaning move up and left. When I looked at the wood stand there were 5 shots in a 2 in long area each about 1/8" lower than the last moving to the right and a little bit lower. Another RO exploded yelling and screaming and telling him to get off the line for hitting the stand.

Another friend 1st time shooter who was already nervous refused to shoot his second round and third new shooter decided to to leave as well after the RO blew up a second time.

I started to say that this is why I would never take a newbie to any range run by ROs, but then I realized that this is why I don't go to any range run by ROs.

I started to say that this is why I would never take a newbie to any range run by ROs, but then I realized that this is why I don't go to any range run by ROs.
Agreed.

I'm not picking on RSOs and I believe in an event type shooting scenario woth both new and seasond shooters they help keep things running smoothly but need to remember the setting and think about their reactions to the individual event. In the case I mentioned the RSO directly behind the shooter should have quietly stipped him. Assessed the issue and either asked the shooter to adjust and continue or leave the line.

Haulting a shooter because someone decides to stroll downrange requires a different response.

I have been guilty of being out of line with a shooter as well when acting as an RSO and deeply regretted it. Guy who showed up late was complaining about the wait he had to endure on a particularly busy day. It was late in the event and I knew it was a fay I had hoped to shoot a couple rounds but new I was not going to get a chance. I responded with something along the lines of " I've been here since 6 (then about 12-1) and probably won't get a chance to shoot. You showed up late and are at the end of the list do you really think I care?"

Definitely an improper response given my position that day etc.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This is silly. Yes I agree there are some big headed RSO out there.
Although there are other ranges and events that if your not on paper (big targets) or are not following or understanding commands will get you tossed from the line. RSO are there either at clubs or events because people generally don't follow rules.....NOW I have personally had to remind RSO's of their own safety violations.

Agreed.

I'm not picking on RSOs and I believe in an event type shooting scenario woth both new and seasond shooters they help keep things running smoothly but need to remember the setting and think about their reactions to the individual event. In the case I mentioned the RSO directly behind the shooter should have quietly stipped him. Assessed the issue and either asked the shooter to adjust and continue or leave the line.

Haulting a shooter because someone decides to stroll downrange requires a different response.

I have been guilty of being out of line with a shooter as well when acting as an RSO and deeply regretted it. Guy who showed up late was complaining about the wait he had to endure on a particularly busy day. It was late in the event and I knew it was a fay I had hoped to shoot a couple rounds but new I was not going to get a chance. I responded with something along the lines of " I've been here since 6 (then about 12-1) and probably won't get a chance to shoot. You showed up late and are at the end of the list do you really think I care?"

Definitely an improper response given my position that day etc.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I don't really think this a a bad response .....could it have been worded better for sure...but.
I know every event i have ever been to that if your not there in time for sign up squading or before the 1st shot is fired...... no soup for you.
It's funny how things change. I remember way back my grandmother would respond to that complaint of that shooter "tough shit get over it"

I will say though I have not been to but one event where the event organizers where rude in anyway.
The one issue I had was at a skeet shoot. Appears i was not the ideal social or economical person this bunch. I put up with their shit and gave them a good FU by running a 85 which put my in 6th place. Not bad for a working class poor boy with a POS shotgun. I also never shot skeet before...now this didn't stop me from shooting skeet. I just don't go to that club for their little group match. Other clubs with skeet have been fine. I shot another local match and one guy let me shoot his 15k$ 4 barrel set and gave me the ammo needed to play.(I didn't know they where running all 4 gauges) that day I didn't do a well. Gun fit I blame shot a 71.

So don't be discouraged don't tuck your tail. Take it all in and learn from it.

Also I add if your upset with a RSO and don't like how they handle things PLEASE become a RSO and help change that.

Last edited:
Are there any classes or instructors geared towards competitive shooting?

Wondering if anyone has ever taken any classes like that. I would think many like me, shy in jumping right into a match would greatly benefit from it.
Read the rule book, watch some youtube videos, go to a match, and tell them it's your first time. I honestly don't think you need to wait for a class.

NRA and CMP both offer clinics.
For example at Pembroke MA OCSA the CMP M1 is a clinic/match.
Is it a one on one clinic no. Is it a highly focused clinic no. Will you walk away with a good idea of how the highpower matches are run and learn a few things about shooting better....yes.
I know other clubs offer more comprehensive clinics for beginners and more advanced...
I also know several people who would help anyone if asked.

Braintree CMP always has a clinic for the first line and the regular match for the 2nd line.

First line students are individually coached by the match shooters. Skill level of students ranges from never shot a high power rifle to guys who bring their own rifle/ammo but are unfamiliar with how a match is shot.

I enjoy coaching someone and seeing them do well. My metric for doing well is getting all or most of your 50 rounds on paper.

Remember the CMP mission statement. It doesn't include shunning new shooters. I want you to have fun, and come back for another match.

1. To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;
  2. To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;
  3. To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.

.......tell them it's your first time.
i think this is important. the folks were great at my first match and pretty much stopped the stage to help me and my buddy with pointers just trying to clear leather (yeah, a long time ago!) and complete the stage. that experience made us want to go back and get better and we came out of it with new friends. i believe the club was westfield, timeline...mid 80's? but i've said before, go with friends and break the ice.

Read the rule book, watch some youtube videos, go to a match, and tell them it's your first time. I honestly don't think you need to wait for a class.

Yeah I agree. I went to my first match last year and just told them it was my first time so I was allowed to go last at each stage. Just go[thumbsup]

This. I went to a 600 yard match in Reading, great guys, learned a lot about the equipment, scoring, and all that fun stuff.

This. I went to a 600 yard match in Reading, great guys, learned a lot about the equipment, scoring, and all that fun stuff.

Couldn't agree more....

- - - Updated - - -

For me it is schedule, kid, and sometimes location of the match

This takes time to figure out...it took me over a year to figure out a schedule that kinda works around life in general.

When I can get the time and money to jive I'd happily sign up for more Appleseeds but the chances of ever attending a CMP shoot ever again are slim to none. If I want to be treated like shit I'd just pick up some overtime and make some extra ammo loot instead of having to pay to be treated like shit at a CMP shoot.

Braintree CMP always has a clinic for the first line and the regular match for the 2nd line.

First line students are individually coached by the match shooters. Skill level of students ranges from never shot a high power rifle to guys who bring their own rifle/ammo but are unfamiliar with how a match is shot.

I enjoy coaching someone and seeing them do well. My metric for doing well is getting all or most of your 50 rounds on paper.

Remember the CMP mission statement. It doesn't include shunning new shooters. I want you to have fun, and come back for another match.

1. To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;
  2. To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;
  3. To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.

This is also a good point. Even if your not a good shooter if you been to enough matches to know how it flows and can give some advice and guidance that's a pay off also.

I used to like IDPA matches. Not anymore. For me, the turn off was to spend the better part of Saturday (9am - 2pm) for 2 minutes of pure shooting. And the paradox is, the better you are, the less time you get to shoot. 99% of the time is just walking back and forth, taping and re-setting targets, small talk, etc. Come on, 7 hours of Saturday for 2 minutes of shooting? Maybe when I retire and will have nothing else to spend time on, I'll be back.

I used to like IDPA matches. Not anymore. For me, the turn off was to spend the better part of Saturday (9am - 2pm) for 2 minutes of pure shooting. And the paradox is, the better you are, the less time you get to shoot. 99% of the time is just walking back and forth, taping and re-setting targets, small talk, etc. Come on, 7 hours of Saturday for 2 minutes of shooting? Maybe when I retire and will have nothing else to spend time on, I'll be back.

9-2? Sounds like a short day on the range. Matches here go from 8am to 6pm. Usually there is a 1+ hr backup on a stage because of the same group of shooters taking forever

I would like to try pistol silhouette or rifle if any local clubs are offering that.
Something with iron sights.
I think what holds me back in taking the first step. I feel like I would go and love it if I got off my ass and went for it.

I go to the range every week. Wouldn't mind shooting silhouette every week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matches are too long and slooooooow.... Its tough to commit 6-7 hours to shoot a few hundred rounds. Shooting the stages is great fun and every time I go to a match I tell myself I should do this more often, but for every 20 seconds of shooting, you have an hour or waiting and pasting targets.

I prefer to setup my own stages, shoot a few hundred rounds in a 2 hours and call it a day.

I thought this was a great question by the OP and I'm confused by a lot of the responses about IDPA and USPSA type matches. I can understand that being on a range for half a day but shooting only +/- 6 times seems a waste. But what range will allow you to do all of the things that you can do at a match? Draw from a holster, shoot stages with moving targets, move downrange, left, right etc and engage multiple targets at multiple distances. And do it with six or so different ranges/scenarios. I need to know what clubs allow this so I can join up and stop wasting my time at matches. If that club does exist there's no way your going down and setting up 6 stages, shooting six stages then break it all down in half a day by yourself. These matches offer a lot and offer what you can't get most anywhere else.

For me it is schedule, kid, and sometimes location of the match

When your kid is old enough, bring them and have them participate. My son started doing pin shoots with me when he was 14. He just turned 18 and he's now also doing 3 gun events with me. It is great bonding time and it elevates their confidence and ability. My son is now far better with a rifle than I am.

It also teaches them how to safely clear and get a gun back into action. When you are up against a clock doing this quickly matters, as it does in real life. When you are just punching holes in paper you have all day.

Here's a video from our last 3-Gun. His last shot with the AR-15 is at a 12" steel plate at 100 yards with red dot and no magnification. He's come along way.

Last edited by a moderator:
But what range will allow you to do all of the things that you can do at a match? Draw from a holster, shoot stages with moving targets, move downrange, left, right etc and engage multiple targets at multiple distances. And do it with six or so different ranges/scenarios. I need to know what clubs allow this so I can join up and stop wasting my time at matches. If that club does exist there's no way your going down and setting up 6 stages, shooting six stages then break it all down in half a day by yourself. These matches offer a lot and offer what you can't get most anywhere else.

Outside of the "six or so stages" thing, There are a shitload of ranges outside of the 495 loop (and even a few inside it) where you can set up an action stage on your own and do all of those things. Get away from the "fudds R us MRA BRP etc overcommited urban range" type setups and this becomes a reality rather than an "oh no you can't do that here" thing. At one of the local clubs out here in central mass we used to put up a steel challenge stage with like 3 or 4 guys shooting it to see if we could get our times down, etc. Then we'd move the steel around and do a different one, etc.

I'd still rather shoot a match though and let someone else do all that stuff, though, so I agree with you on that general sentiment. And there is nothing like showing up and getting something different.

-Mike

Outside of the "six or so stages" thing, There are a shitload of ranges outside of the 495 loop (and even a few inside it) where you can set up an action stage on your own and do all of those things. Get away from the "fudds R us MRA BRP etc overcommited urban range" type setups and this becomes a reality rather than an "oh no you can't do that here" thing. At one of the local clubs out here in central mass we used to put up a steel challenge stage with like 3 or 4 guys shooting it to see if we could get our times down, etc. Then we'd move the steel around and do a different one, etc.

I'd still rather shoot a match though and let someone else do all that stuff, though, so I agree with you on that general sentiment. And there is nothing like showing up and getting something different.

-Mike
There are still some clubs within 495 that allow it, they all ain't gone bad yet. Folks have been basically saying matches are a waste of time and they'd rather shoot more at their own range. I get that thinking but I doubt they are getting the same quality of shooting that you get at a match. I think they are missing out.

Matches are too long and slooooooow.... Its tough to commit 6-7 hours to shoot a few hundred rounds. Shooting the stages is great fun and every time I go to a match I tell myself I should do this more often, but for every 20 seconds of shooting, you have an hour or waiting and pasting targets.

I prefer to setup my own stages, shoot a few hundred rounds in a 2 hours and call it a day.

The shooting might be over quick, but the winning last all week

I would like to try pistol silhouette or rifle if any local clubs are offering that.
Something with iron sights.
I think what holds me back in taking the first step. I feel like I would go and love it if I got off my ass and went for it.

I go to the range every week. Wouldn't mind shooting silhouette every week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silhoutte from the feed back i have recieved is "to hard"

silhoutte from the feed back i have recieved is "to hard"

To quote Tom Hanks, "It is supposed to be hard, if it was easy, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great".
Although the season is over, Pioneer Sportsmen, Purgatory Falls Fish & Game and Pemigewasset Fish & Game Are the only clubs in New England that still host NRA Silhouette. The season starts in April.

Back
Top Bottom