What is the worst thing that happen to you when you carried?

Guy it got me thinking to today, what is the worst thing that has happen to you when you carried? (beisdes having to use your firearm).

I mean ever been in the mall or a store and the butt of the pistol was seen by some mom who called 911. And next thing you know you have 5 troopers with pistols point at your head like your the bad guy.

I took the boys to the boston aquarium and we stopped at quincy market to eat lunch. While we were eating I noticed an entire wall of people looking at me. My two year old had pulled my shit up and over my sidearm and the sheeple were shocked.

"Check Please!" Hasty exit and no issues. [smile]

I took the boys to the boston aquarium and we stopped at quincy market to eat lunch. While we were eating I noticed an entire wall of people looking at me. My two year old had pulled my shit up and over my sidearm and the sheeple were shocked.

"Check Please!" Hasty exit and no issues. [smile]

Got to love the kids LOL. But hey it was boston if you had jens down around your butt, a blue or red head banded they wouldn't have gave you a 2nd look.

A couple years ago when it was starting to get cold, I changed my CCW location from my pants front pocket to the inside pocket of my leather jacket. For years this had typically been the spot where I put my wallet during the colder months. A week or two after I started carrying in my jacket I was pulled over by a LE for speeding and when the officer was standing next to my door asking for my license and registration, without thinking I reached into my inside coat pocket to get my wallet. I was seconds away from pulling out my CCW before I realized what it was I was pulling and I dropped in back in. I then tried to innocently move my hand to my back jeans pocket to get my wallet. The LE didn't notice my almost life altering mistake to my great relief. Learned a valuble lesson that day. Always pay attention to the small details in life. If I had pulled it out into the open, I'm pretty sure the least that would of happened would of been the revoking of my permit. Worst, well worst is pretty obvious.

Long, long ago, my Sig 226 tumbled out of a cheap azz holster and hit the asphalt just as I was approaching a parking lot ATM.

It gets worse -- another customer was coming out of the kiosk right then and there.

Fortunately, he was in such a fog he never saw a thing as I stuffed my blaster back into my jacket!

Sheesh!

A couple years ago when it was starting to get cold, I changed my CCW location from my pants front pocket to the inside pocket of my leather jacket. For years this had typically been the spot where I put my wallet during the colder months. A week or two after I started carrying in my jacket I was pulled over by a LE for speeding and when the officer was standing next to my door asking for my license and registration, without thinking I reached into my inside coat pocket to get my wallet. I was seconds away from pulling out my CCW before I realized what it was I was pulling and I dropped in back in. I then tried to innocently move my hand to my back jeans pocket to get my wallet. The LE didn't notice my almost life altering mistake to my great relief. Learned a valuble lesson that day. Always pay attention to the small details in life. If I had pulled it out into the open, I'm pretty sure the least that would of happened would of been the revoking of my permit. Worst, well worst is pretty obvious.

I always carry mine in a IWB holster, makes it a little hard to get to in the car, but leaves me to think that I wouldn't make the almost mistake that you did. I am you didn't pull it out!

Long, long ago, my Sig 226 tumbled out of a cheap azz holster and hit the asphalt just as I was approaching a parking lot ATM.

It gets worse -- another customer was coming out of the kiosk right then and there.

Fortunately, he was in such a fog he never saw a thing as I stuffed my blaster back into my jacket!

Sheesh!

Well you learned not to buy a cheap holster now didn't we? but glad he didn't see you.

Rockrivr yikes! [shocked]

Cross-X, it's a good think sheeple lack situational awarness. [wink]

Sheeple aren't the only ones.

I was shooting my 4506 at the range last summer about 2 miles from my house. I have a huge retention-type holster (bought used for $5) that I use for open carry at the range. When I was done, rather than lock it up, I stuck the pistol into the holster and pulled my shirt kind of over it. On the short drive back to my house, the traffic was stopped on a bridge over the Squannacook River. I got out to look at what was going on and a cop approached to say that a woman had jumped into the river (turned out to be a successful suicide attempt) and wanted to know if anybody had seen anything. I talked to him for a couple of minutes with what looked like a dishwasher strapped to my hip with a wife-beater T-shirt just barely stretched over it. If he noticed, he didn't say a word.

Did not happen to me but to a friend. We were sitting in a training session with local bank personnel (LE training) One LEO arrived late sat in the back. As he sat down, we all heard his gun hit the floor. Every LEO in the room knew what had happened. No one even looked around. (Guy lost a day for that slight "accident")

I let another guy borrow my off duty S&W 19. It came back a little marked up. Apparently he had gone to the city and ended up in a bar fight. My 19 went sliding across the floor and was retrieved by the guy that had custody of it before it was used on him. (He lost his job over that one.)

The above two episodes occurred a long time ago but they both reinforced what I had always said about having the best holster you could afford.

Last year my truck broke down on 128. While I was tinkering under the hood, a female trooper pulled up to check on me. I said I was okay, but might need a tow. I went back to tinkering.

Then she called out from the cruiser "Are you carrying?" I said Yes, why do you ask?"

Apparently, while I was bent over the engine, my Army field jacket rode up enough to expose the bottom of my holster. I apologised, and offered to show her my LTC. She said "No problem, but we are more comfortable when we know about the gun beforehand".

Thing is, she never took me up on the offer to see my LTC!

Last year my truck broke down on 128. While I was tinkering under the hood, a female trooper pulled up to check on me. I said I was okay, but might need a tow. I went back to tinkering.

Then she called out from the cruiser "Are you carrying?" I said Yes, why do you ask?"

Apparently, while I was bent over the engine, my Army field jacket rode up enough to expose the bottom of my holster. I apologised, and offered to show her my LTC. She said "No problem, but we are more comfortable when we know about the gun beforehand".

Thing is, she never took me up on the offer to see my LTC!

I shoot in Braintree, as I was heading to the range (maybe a year after I moved back to Mass) so it was 2004. I drove to the range and I went around a bend and here is a cars lights speeding down the road and behind it blue lights.

I stop, wait and the car hit's a wall and comes right at me. Lucky for me it missed my truck and was 33ft of my front right bumper, so I get out about the same time as the Randolph officer. I see the drive jump out and run but his buddy was not as fast, the officer drew his duty wpn and me seeing the officer was alone, and I knew there was more to this then a speeding ticket. I drew mine to back him up, he had the guy on the ground and as he searched the guy out comes 2 knifes and on go's the cuffs.

Once more officers showed up he thanked me and I just happen to be heading to the range in Braintree and I was in the wrong place at the right time I guess. He asked my first name but never asked to see my LTC as I went to leave he just thanks me for the help again.

OK. Let's see, 7 different times that a gun was spotted non-concealed. 7 times that there were no arrests. This seems contrary to all the nay-sayers on here who keep saying it will certainly get one arrested.

I think there is only one time that has happened, and it was the guy with the windbreaker at a pizza place (Dedham?).

I think the facts speak pretty well for themselves.

Hey henchmen77, are you a police officer? How did the one you "backed up" know you were not a bad guy? That sounds pretty scary to me.

OK. Let's see, 7 different times that a gun was spotted non-concealed. 7 times that there were no arrests. This seems contrary to all the nay-sayers on here who keep saying it will certainly get one arrested.

I think there is only one time that has happened, and it was the guy with the windbreaker at a pizza place (Dedham?).

I think the facts speak pretty well for themselves.

Hey henchmen77, are you a police officer? How did the one you "backed up" know you were not a bad guy? That sounds pretty scary to me.

Not LE, on the list waiting to get hired, well I got a Marine high and tight and the sticker on my truck which he didn't see but I don't think he minded the help at the time.

Like I said he ask my name told him and added that I was heading to the Range in braintree so I am sure once he heard that he didn't ask.

Just knew I had a LTC, also my trucks plates were facing his car so if he has a dash cam I am sure he ran my Tags and saw I had a LTC when he got back to the station.

It was not scary, well the car coming at me when I was stopped got the blood flowing lol. But kept my cool used my trucks motor as cover if the guy did shoot and at the time had a P12 45ACP so you know as them 45 guys like to say one shot and it would knock him off his feet lol. Now I carry either my G19 K9 or my new M&P 9C.

Last edited:
Once felt my ankle holster with my S & W 642 slide down to the ground while stepping up to the counter at Papa Gino's. I very slowly shuffled out the front door like a very old man. Thankfully, no one saw anything except my funny walk.

An accidental loss of concealment is a far cry from say, someone wandering
around in a public place with a gun openly carried on their hip. Please walk
around in boston, carrying openly everywhere you go and let us know what
happens, we'd love to hear your experiences.

[rofl]

-Mike

Last year at work I wore a Red Sox jersey and I was carrying a 1911 with a DeSantis holster. My office bucket was getting full so I decided to empty it into a floor bucket (they are much bigger) and when I lifted my bucket up it snagged my shirt and placed it between my body and my holster. One of the guys on the floor stopped working and stared at me. I had no idea I was advertising. I got some heat from upper management for that one.

I've only been carrying for 4 years but the only bad thing thats ever happened to me is summer time heat/humidity making it reallllly uncomfortable to put my Glock 23 and Hume in the pants holster in place when I leave the body shop. After a sweaty day of auto body work the last thing I want is to take that thing out of my locker (which I'm always within reach btw[wink]) and put it in my waist band to go home. The sticky feeling of Glock slide finish rubbing against me is pretty nasty for the first few minutes untill I get home.
I hear ya Derek about sheeple lacking situational arwareness.
A few weeks ago I was at Home Depot one Saturday morning taking some 14' wood moldings down from the racks to cut to length and while cutting one I felt something odd on my right side. Looked down and saw my shirt bunching up over my pistol with it in plain site. It must have rode up while I was stretching to take the moldings down from the racks.
I had to have been measuring and cutting for at least 5 minutes with people walking all around me, up and down the aisle, workers going by, etc and no one said a thing or even looked at me strange.
Of course once I pulled my shirt back down over it, finished cutting, checked out, and exited the store, I felt like EVERYONE was watching me.

I was pulled over by the Boston cops on 93 and accused of "shooting up" a bar in Kenmore Square at 3:00 AM. I was pulled over because my car (silver Corvette) and I matched the desription of the shooter and his ride. Things got a little worse when a search of my person turned up my model 60 in an IWB holster.

I told the cops I had nothing to do with the shooting and that the 60 hadn't been fired in months. A check of the 60 revealed some serious dust bunnys in the barrel (thank God I never cleaned the little devil) which calmed the LE personnel down quite a bit. I still had to wait for an eye witness to be driven to the scene (they got lost) to clear me. I got lucky, the guy had good eye sight and a good memory, so I got to go home, two hours late.

I opened the wrong end of my briefcase and had my Glock Model 19 in its holster tumble out onto the floor of an MBTA commuter train with a loud thud about 8 or 9 years ago.

I hastily jammed all the contents back into my breifcase and tried to act nonchalant while scannning the other passengers to see who noticed. If anyone did, they didn't say a thing.

I've had a bunch of incidents happen and funny enough they all happened because of my son.
I think the worst was shopping in Sears one day.
I was checking out when my son grabs each side of the front of my cover garment (flannel with snaps) and yanks.
Every last snap comes undone and there is the butt of my Glock sticking out of my FIST holster in the appendix position.
All I did was make a fast step forward to put my belly to the counter and snapped my shirt back up.
The cashier never even noticed.

An accidental loss of concealment is a far cry from say, someone wandering
around in a public place with a gun openly carried on their hip. Please walk
around in boston, carrying openly everywhere you go and let us know what
happens, we'd love to hear your experiences.

[rofl]

-Mike

I kind of figured someone would say that or "You can be the test case". Whatever. I said it before and I'll say it again, I've seen people openly carry in restaurants and elsewhere, and either nobody said anything, or a conversation was started on what he was up to with it. In one case, the guy was hunting squirrel while scouting out a place for his next deer stand. People seemed happy for him. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong crowd.

I kind of figured someone would say that or "You can be the test case". Whatever. I said it before and I'll say it again, I've seen people openly carry in restaurants and elsewhere, and either nobody said anything, or a conversation was started on what he was up to with it. In one case, the guy was hunting squirrel while scouting out a place for his next deer stand. People seemed happy for him. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong crowd.

I've seen people "get away with it" occasionally too, but IMO in this state
it's no better than playing russian roulette. All it takes is one dumb sheep
making a panicked call and a hothead/anti LEO to ruin your day.

Edit: Again... go open carry in cambridge or boston and tell us how long you
last, or even worcester for that matter. Enlighten us with your experiences.

-Mike

Last edited:
A few years back, me and my cousin made a trip down to the Mashpee "performing arts center". It was early afternoon, so the place wasn't too crowded. I noticed a group of guys who might have been over-served if you know what I mean. One guy was all over the "performers", so he and his buddies got tossed out of there. There was a little bit of pushing and shoving but they left. Not knowing how this was going to turn out, I kept on eye on the door. Sure as shit, the moment the doorman tuned his back, Mr. Cantkeephishandstohimself burst through the doorway with "something" in his hand. I grab a hold of my Keltec p11, the gun never cleared my waistband, but if I needed it, I would be ready in a split second.

As it turns out, his car keys fell out of his pocket at the bar, and that "something" in his hand was his sun glasses. Good thing it was pretty dark in there. No one saw me make a move for my gun, not even my cousin, who was stand right next to me. Plus it helped having the "performers" to keep eyes off of me, and on to them.

That's the closest I've come to using my gun for something other than target shooting. Hope I never have to.

Kurt

I rarely carry as I can only do so when in NH. I never CCW in Massachusetts because my LTC is restricted and I don't feel like risking it.

Biggest problems I've ever had are 1) my ankle holster's velcro came loose and it fell off. Luckily I was wearing sweatpants with elastic bands at the ankles so it didn't fall onto the ground.

2) Magazine eject button was hit when I was carrying my M&P IWB in an undersized holster. Mag didn't fall out til I got back to the car though.

3) Was going to an event when I saw they were searching people at the gate for alcohol etc. Opened my jacket, they checked quickly and cleared me without ever noticing the 317 IWB'ed under my t-shirt.

Well, this thread makes me happy I use a better holster than the nylon cheap one I had before.

Back when I worked full-time at a gun shop, I open carried all the time. Did it for about 6 months. I open carried everywhere I went, including Radio Shack, Wendy's, Star Market, CVS, you get it... In the whole time, I had 2 incidents. First was a mother who was almost yelling at her kid about how only LE or "people that carry alot of money" should carry guns... That was in a supermarket.

Second incident, I was at a Citizen's Bank opening a new account with one of the people I knew that worked there. He also happened to be part-time at the gun store I worked at, at the time. Turns out about 2 weeks before I was in the bank, it had been held up. The bank had a detail officer in there. Needless to say, the cop didn't like my 1911 hanging out. Showed him my LTC, he said something about how the only people that go to banks with guns are there to rob them, and sent me on my way.

I also did a brief stint as an armored car dude (worst. job. ever.). Once you have black pants and a uniform-looking shirt on, you can go ANYWHERE with a gun on your side. I was in many liberal strongholds, without a single word ever said.

--EasyD

I started to type in one, but then I just thought; "Delete this message and let it go. Don't want to put that story online." Sorry no story here [smile] Would be happy to tell it FTF.

During my good ‘ol motorcycle days, I came upon a road construction area in Lowell. The traffic was backed up a bit and I was behind about six cars stopped by a Lowell Cop on traffic detail. While I was stopped, a dog came out of nowhere (must have been bothered by the noise) and firmly bit down on my leg. I drew my S&W Model 39 (I miss that gun) and pointed it at the angry mutt’s head while shutting off the bike’s engine. The dog stopped biting, loostened his grip, lost interested and then scampered away. I re-holstered the gun while noticing the cop walking my way. Not knowing what to expect, I kept the engine off with my hands on the handlebars. When he got to me he said “I would have popped that f*****n dog”, and asked if I was okay. That was it. No LTC questions, who I was…. nothing.

Back
Top Bottom