What happens to my guns if I die?

Dark, macabre thing to think about, so I just put it right out there in simple form in the thread title. I don't know why, but for some reason on my way into work today the thought crossed my mind. I want to make sure my firearms collection stays with my family. In most states I'm sure it's not something to even have to worry about. However in this state, with our Godforsaken laws, I just want to have piece of mind that they will stay in the posession of my wife and sons should something happen to me [thinking]

My wife has her Class A/non-restricted license. Am I correct in thinking she would simply have to send in new FA-10's to register them in her name?

On a similar note, I need to get around to doing the whole "will" thing as well. I'd imagine there's a pretty standard step to include my wishes mentioned above.

*sigh* great, now I'm all bummed out.[sad]

I have strict instructions that I am to be put in the safe with my firearms and then they just take the whole safe and put it in the ground sans coffin. [smile] Only problem is I don't think i can fit at the moment.

Seriously, good for you for preparing for these things. You should feel good about it, it's very considerate.

I'm offering a service here on NES to take possession of your guns after you die, so you can be sure they don't fall into the wrong hands. Now it's regularly $49.95/year, but it will only cost NES members $29.95/year, and all you have to do is write me into your will. Now where else can you get piece of mind at bargain price like that?! [smile]

I don't know what happens to YOUR guns, but MINE go to my family... it says so in my will.

Why do you not have one yet? Call Darius, call Keith, pick a lawyer out of the phone book if you have to, but get your will done!

My family won't be interested in my guns, and they won't need the modest amount of $$ selling them would bring. They'll be distributed to whomever my shooting buddies are at the time I go belly up in the pond of life. I shoot with some pretty decent people, so I expect they'll even vacuum the gun room when they're done removing my stuff.

My family won't be interested in my guns, and they won't need the modest amount of $$ selling them would bring. They'll be distributed to whomever my shooting buddies are at the time I go belly up in the pond of life. I shoot with some pretty decent people, so I expect they'll even vacuum the gun room when they're done removing my stuff.

But if you do not name them in your will, they won't have that option, short of breaking the law by walking out with them. Even with your families permission and blessing, they can't take them.

Not sure about other states, but at least in MA, name them in the will, even if your collection is of $40 .22 bolt actions and $25 Sat night specials.

But if you do not name them in your will, they won't have that option, short of breaking the law by walking out with them. Even with your families permission and blessing, they can't take them.
The can at a rate of 4 per year as a private transfer from a family member with an LTC, or via an FFL as an intermediary. But, your advice is indeed valid and I'll do it the next time I have it updated.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78747&postcount=2

... if a married gun owner dies WITHOUT specifying that the guns go to a specific person, the surviving spouse automatically inherits the guns ... can not extend the exemption to give the guns (unlimited quantity) to a third party en masse ... would have to do it at the rate of 4/year ...

You appear to be correct - the spouse automatically inherits all and could dispose at 4 / year. *MY* wife would just as soon toss them in the trash, so they go to my son.

Someone else who:

1. Made NO effort to check the forum for this discussed-in-detail subject; and

2. Failed to even post his thread in the appropriate section of the forum.

Good work.......

Last edited:

Really?

And when were executors/trixes stripped of their inherent authority to distribute the assets of the estate per the deceased's instructions?

Someone else who:

1. Made NO effort to check the forum for this discussed-in-detail subject; and

2. Failed to even post his thread in the appropriate section of the forum.

Good work.......

Yet it was deemed of high enough importance to qualify for a response from you....twice now. I'm honored.[smile]

Really?

And when were executors/trixes stripped of their inherent authority to distribute the assets of the estate per the deceased's instructions?

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78747&postcount=2

You appear to be correct - the spouse automatically inherits all and could dispose at 4 / year. *MY* wife would just as soon toss them in the trash, so they go to my son.

If you don't put it in your will, it never happened.

No. That's wrong.

If you don't put it in your will, your wishes are irrelevant.

In the absence of a will, the court would appoint an administrator/trix, if the estate was of sufficient value.

I'm offering a service here on NES to take possession of your guns after you die, so you can be sure they don't fall into the wrong hands. Now it's regularly $49.95/year, but it will only cost NES members $29.95/year, and all you have to do is write me into your will. Now where else can you get piece of mind at bargain price like that?! [smile]

When recently on the Worcester Police website I saw a "Firearms Removal Service," contact Detective so-and-so with his phone number.

Now if only we could figure out a way to do call forwarding from his phone...

IANAL but.....

The thing with a will is that it has to go through probate. That is the great thing about trusts in that they don't have to go through the court process. Just assign the guns in to your trust and make whomever you want to get your guns the successor. I've seen the problems people have trying to work out their deceased relatives estates through a will at my work plenty of times to know that a trust makes things a lot easier. Just make sure there is a copy of it somewhere where it can be found, otherwise you are screwed and have to go through the courts.

A properly established trust works well for such chattel property. It can be an impediment to real estate transactions, however.

Back
Top Bottom