• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What happens to anyone possessing a pre-ban glock hi-cap magazine?

Any case examples of someone with +1/2/3/X extension on pre-ban mag?

If it’s pre-ban, any extension is irrelevant; it’s pre-ban and not subject to capacity limits.

What *might* be interesting is what happens when you put a +2 baseplate on a post-ban 10 round magazine. Like a Glock 26 mag that will go to 12 rounds with the extension.

If it’s pre-ban, any extension is irrelevant; it’s pre-ban and not subject to capacity limits.

What *might* be interesting is what happens when you put a +2 baseplate on a post-ban 10 round magazine. Like a Glock 26 mag that will go to 12 rounds with the extension.
I have some pre ban G26 mags. (10 round pre ban)

Ever hear of that?

They were made before September 13th 1994 and can legally accept a +2.

It is better though to have a pre ban G17 mag and a grip sleeve.

G26 is suppose to be compact.
Otherwise, carry a G19.

5C11630A-C29A-49EC-8D25-32D982B5F1C0.jpeg 7479A711-A9C5-4FD5-B788-CD3955114D75.jpeg The preban thing is pretty stupid...
I run Beltfeds in MA so I’m pushing the Envolope...

I’m completely comfortable with the risks....
Won’t take no for an answer.

Somone has to fight the fight......

I’d love to find a mag extension for this preban I just broke the floor plate on..

A +2 baseplate on a post-ban 10 round is clearly a violation.

Part of the problem is that the LEO told me that if there was an incident in which you used your Glock with a hi-cap pre-ban mag for self defense, you would be charged for illegal possession of a hi-cap mag, and would then have to prove to the court that it was pre-ban. How would you do that?

That’s the exact opposite of how the law works.

Burden of proof is on them, not you.

Also; this “other guy” is clearly an idiot. Stop talking to him.

And a +2 baseplate on a pre-ban is...?

A +2 base plate on a post ban 10 round mag is clearly creating a post ban large cap magazine, which is illegal

A +2 on a pre ban large cap is still a legal pre ban large cap.

A +2 on a pre ban 10 round mag? That I don’t know.

What makes you so sure of this? During the Fed AWB the ATF issued the Bardwell letter which gave the opinion that a modified preban magazine could be considered a new magazine due to its modification. That was a different issue than increasing capacity, but I view that opinion as an argument supporting a prosecution claim that a modified magazine is a new post ban magazine. To my knowledge your view has never been tested much as I would like to believe a court would also see it that way.

I know of one incident where an LTC holder was charged with large capacity violations for possession of pre-ban glock mags. I do not know the outcome though. It was evidently a pissed off cop in a dispute with a constable.
These cases are always leo, military, polit involved. I’ve never heard of a regular Joe getting jammed for this. If you are an inocuous individual with no bone to pick nor pot to stir then just stay under the radar and if you’re faced with a runin with authority just be honest, humble, and full of integrity. It’s best not to talk about it with anyone but those you trust.

If this were true why have there been no arrests? Every incident I hear about the High Capacity magazine charge is added on to multiple other charges. Among the other charges is usually no permit at all, never mind a class A.

This sort of “I herd this guy say that” just leads to more internet paranoia. When I hear an actual news story of a MA class A LTC gun owner arrested for his High Capacity mag (pre or post ban) with no other charges at all then I will become concerned. Until then I have better things to worry about.
You’re a lost cause

These cases are always leo, military, polit involved. I’ve never heard of a regular Joe getting jammed for this. If you are an inocuous individual with no bone to pick nor pot to stir then just stay under the radar and if you’re faced with a runin with authority just be honest, humble, and full of integrity. It’s best not to talk about it with anyone but those you trust.
I would like to think that but then there's the situation where someone runs into the cop that OP spoke to, or the one that ripped apart a fix mag AR to make it into a AW. There are some hardcore a-holes out there.

The pre ban G26 10 round mag came with a +2. That is how it came as there was no ban at that time.
There are some G26 mags that were pre ban and 10 rounds of the same vintage.
Adding a +2 to one of those mags is of no consequence as that mag was pre ban from it's birth.

Just like adding a +2 to a pre ban G17 mag. Totally legal.

If it's pre ban you can do anything to it - 10 round, 15 round, 17 round, or 30 round.

However, I would say that the police would have probable cause to arrest you for such a mag because there are probably less than 1% of g26 10 round mags that are actually pre ban.

In court though, the state would have to prove it's post ban.

My pre ban G26 mags have low 9mm markings and a straight shoulder just like the other pre bans of that era.

The G26 10 rounders with high 9mm markings and a beveled side are not pre ban.

ALL Glock mags with low caliber markings are pre ban.

The reason being is that once the ban started, Glock placed LE/Gov markings on the mag and therefor had to raise the caliber markings.
When the ban ended, the LE/Gov markings were removed but the caliber markings stayed in the new higher position.

I know Glock won't comment on ambiguous mags, but the above 2 sentences are widely known and even taught in Glock Armorers Class.

Keep in mind though - tens of thousands of high caliber marked mags are also pre ban because before the ban, Glock first raised the caliber markings to prepare for the LE/Gov markings. Initially there were no LE/Gov markings - just a high caliber marking right before the ban. Glock was pumping them out by the thousands in the months ahead of September 13, 1994. They had months to prepare the new moulds. When the ban finally started and Glock was making post ban mags, the LE/Gov markings were added for the next 10 years until the ban sunset.

The above paragraph was told to us at Glock Armorers Class many years ago when people cared about that subject.

G26 mags that are pre ban and +2 are more of a liability I would say due to their doubts.
If you want more than 10 rounds - get a pre ban G19 mag and carry with confidence.

I would like to think that but then there's the situation where someone runs into the cop that OP spoke to, or the one that ripped apart a fix mag AR to make it into a AW. There are some hardcore a-holes out there.
Yes, the OP post was regarding an acquaintance and the JC arms guy has a story that is yet to be detailed AFAIK. Thanks to the NES esquires and dealers with above standard customer support and advice. I’m not saying it won’t happen but in a litigious society I would rather err on open honesty appealing to conscience rather than “lawyer up” mentality. That’s just my humble opining. I appreciate lawyers and the function they have in society but there is a problem in this country, generally speaking, of utilizing that function rather excessively. With firearms related legalities the pendulum does swing towards “lawyer up”.

Claim that your native american like Pocahontas, and it's your sovereign right
Pocahontas.jpg

Last edited:
Just train more with your ten round mags and carry a lot of them. Practice mag change after mag change until u make John Wick look like Elmer Fudd! Get to a point where u can do 2 mag changes and get all 30 rounds on target faster than the guy with a 30 round mag. That will show em!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to get the hell out of this state!!! God bless our warriors who didnt make the trip home!!!!

Took a class up at Sig Academy a few years back. One of the instructors was Everett PD at the time. He told me I was absolutely insane for carrying a pre-ban mag in Mass and that 10 rounds should be enough. I was disappointed that Sig employed the guy.

Yes, and, IIRC, Bill Jordan was of the opinion that if you needed more than six rounds in a gunfight, you either needed more practice, or had too many enemies. [laugh]

Although for anyone using a gun in self-defense in MA I expect a world of hurt either way.
This can't be overemphasized. Even if it's a 100% clean shoot, you stand a chance of ending up in jail and broke, especially in MA. If you shoot, you have to be so sure you have to, that you can walk out of jail many years later still thinking you did the right thing.

Took a class up at Sig Academy a few years back. One of the instructors was Everett PD at the time. He told me I was absolutely insane for carrying a pre-ban mag in Mass and that 10 rounds should be enough. I was disappointed that Sig employed the guy.

I carry 10 round magazines. If a MA police officer ever has reason to examine my carry gun and magazines, I don’t want to open up the “is it preban or postban” can of worms. YMMV.

Of course, I used to carry 1911s, so I was comfortable carrying 8 round magazines.

Back
Top Bottom