What guns do you bring... in 1920?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
...Except that in 1920 the world was still more British than American. "Common calibers" were .455 and .303.

Even Indiana Jones ended up with a Webley by the third movie. And even in the first two, the revolver was his go-to. His backup was an auto.
This was my thought, considered Lee-Enfield since I would expect lots of Africa and elsewhere would have copious 303.

I don't get the people picking the 1903 when there's better options. It didn't even take center stage in World War One.

I don't get it either. The 1917 shoots rings around the '03. I think people THINK the '03 must be better because it lasted longer, which makes sense... everywhere but in a government operation.

Also, people thought of the 1917 as un-American because it was a British design.

...Except that in 1920 the world was still more British than American. "Common calibers" were .455 and .303.

Even Indiana Jones ended up with a Webley by the third movie. And even in the first two, the revolver was his go-to. His backup was an auto.

To be fair, I never specified exactly where someone was going in the OP. If you're going to Alaska or Arizona, .30-30 or .30-06 and .45LC + ACP would be more common than .455, 9x19, .303, and the Mauser calibers. But if you're going to the Rhodesias or Kenya, you'd want to bring something in a Commonwealth caliber or a commercial Mauser caliber like .275 Rigby, aka 7x57.

Winchester 1886 in 45-70.

Colt new service revolver, with the 5.5" barrel chambered in .45 colt would be the sidearm.

Of course this is assuming I'd be staying in the USA and be out in Alaska or something because that's the type of country I enjoy.

Last edited:
To be fair, I never specified exactly where someone was going in the OP. If you're going to Alaska or Arizona, .30-30 or .30-06 and .45LC + ACP would be more common than .455, 9x19, .303, and the Mauser calibers. But if you're going to the Rhodesias or Kenya, you'd want to bring something in a Commonwealth caliber or a commercial Mauser caliber like .275 Rigby, aka 7x57.
I chose 1903 and 1911 with Alaska in mind.

I chose 1903 and 1911 with Alaska in mind.

Alaska in 1920 would've been something a lot of guys at the time would be dreaming about, mostly thanks to Townsend Whelen. Whelen at the time was busy as commanding officer of the Frankford Arsenal, writing for American Rifleman, and cooking up his first cartridge, .35 Whelen. Whelen designed his namesake .35 specifically with Alaska in mind. I believe Whelen first visited AK in 1904-05.

Col. Townsend Whelen

Why a 1903 and not the M1917? It's superior in basically every way--higher capacity, better sights, and it was the US's main World War One rifle.

although I can’t disagree with you, the Springfield is shorter and lighter. If I were to count on more ‘sniping’ style engagements, the M1917 would be my choice...preferably one that was actually cleaned from time to time.

apples to apples for accuracy though, my M1903 is on par with my M1917. It just takes a little more effort to squeeze what I need to out of the open sights.

although I’m really getting a handle on ‘cock on closing’, I think the opposite is a bit more organic.

I’m just not a revolver guy...yet. They’ve become somewhat more interesting to me as of late, but mostly because I have everything I need to reload for them and nothing to put the bullets in. I’ll beak down eventually.

in this scenario, I’d prefer something I know how to work on, or can at least ‘figure out’, and revolvers might as well be witchcraft to me.

although I’m really getting a handle on ‘cock on closing’, I think the opposite is a bit more organic.
I’m just not a revolver guy...yet. They’ve become somewhat more interesting to me as of late, but mostly because I have everything I need to reload for them and nothing to put the bullets in. I’ll beak down eventually.

in this scenario, I’d prefer something I know how to work on, or can at least ‘figure out’, and revolvers might as well be witchcraft to me.

Funny, my experience is the opposite. Give me an Enfield action over a Mauser one anytime for speed, slickness, and ease of use. Matter of fact, even though I said earlier I'd bring a Ross, that was mostly just a "dream scenario" type thought. I'd be happy with my Pattern 14.

On the revolver, well, to me, a revolver is a FAR simpler machine than an auto is. I think a lot more can go wrong on an auto. But then, I'm just spitballing; clearly an M1911 is a fine choice, though personally I'd rather wait until 1935 and pick up a BHP. I own and carry several 1911s, but I usually trust the device with the fewest moving parts!

It's kind of funny how much 'cock on closing' is growing on me. at first it felt like the first time i tried jerking off with my left hand (burnt my right arm pouring gasoline on a fire).

+1 on the trip 'back to the future' of 1935 for the BHP. Got me a real Nazi (later model w/o tangent) and it's a dream to shoot.

Funny, my experience is the opposite. Give me an Enfield action over a Mauser one anytime for speed, slickness, and ease of use. Matter of fact, even though I said earlier I'd bring a Ross, that was mostly just a "dream scenario" type thought. I'd be happy with my Pattern 14.

On the revolver, well, to me, a revolver is a FAR simpler machine than an auto is. I think a lot more can go wrong on an auto. But then, I'm just spitballing; clearly an M1911 is a fine choice, though personally I'd rather wait until 1935 and pick up a BHP. I own and carry several 1911s, but I usually trust the device with the fewest moving parts!

The P13/P14/M1917 Enfield is a Mauser. Or a "its not a Mauser (wink)." Because RSAF Enfield never stole intellectual property rights, right? I'd link to C&Rsenal but Wikipedia cuts through the bull faster:

Pattern 1913 Enfield - Wikipedia

The P13/P14/M1917 Enfield is a Mauser. Or a "its not a Mauser (wink)." Because RSAF Enfield never stole intellectual property rights, right? I'd link to C&Rsenal but Wikipedia cuts through the bull faster:

Pattern 1913 Enfield - Wikipedia

Technical aspects aside, the cock-on-closing aspect is what I was talking about. 90% of the act of shooting a bolt gun, to me, is the feel of the action, and my Pattern 14 feels a lot more like a SMLE than a Kar98.

Another coronavirus stir crazy thread. The year is 1920. You've decided to leave dreary old New England in exchange for some adventure in a remote place like Alaska, Southern Rhodesia, Kenya, or Burma. You've sold everything you own and can buy whatever you want within reason. Gun laws aren't a concern. WW1 surplus guns are flooding the used market. But you can only bring one long gun and one handgun.

I'm going with a Mauser 98 sporter in 7x57 and a C96 in 7.63x25.
Still undecided on the sidearm. Probably Colt SAA in .45 LC. If my destination included Canada, Africa or Australia, definitely an SMLE. The .303 ammo that it fires would be the easiest to obtain.

Well yeah- between the 5 foot long rifle and 3 foot bayo. Seriously- those bayonets are ridiculously long!

Didn't Sgt. York use a 1917 and not a 1903 as is the common belief?
Yes, 1917.

I think the 1917 doesn't get as much hype since it's a "foreign design" and there's a degree of homerism for the "domestic" 1903.
I've come close to the 1903A3 a few times, have not acquired one.

Looks like an 03 to me. I'm also surprised how much Sgt York looks like Gary Cooper.

What? You didn't get the memo that Gary Cooper was born in backwoods, hillbilly TN? And that 1911s in .45ACP work great with blanks? Fun fact, the "1911s no worky with blanks" issue also caused Tom Selleck to use a 9x19 Colt Series 70 in Magnum P.I.

What? You didn't get the memo that Gary Cooper was born in backwoods, hillbilly TN? And that 1911s in .45ACP work great with blanks? Fun fact, the "1911s no worky with blanks" issue also caused Tom Selleck to use a 9x19 Colt Series 70 in Magnum P.I.
Didn't know that about Thomas Magnum. Just lost a lot of respect for him.

Back
Top Bottom