What does Hassan victory mean for 2A in N.H.?

I take it that's not a majority though. Which party controls your State House of Representatives next year? As I recall, in the year leading up to the Republican sweep of 2014 the Dem-controlled NH House passed at least one or two gun-control bills that, had not the State Senate been in (just barely) Republican hands, would have almost certainly landed on Gov. Hassan's desk.

Not saying NH democrats are the same as M******* Dems. Just pointing out that at least on the issue of gun control the politicians seem to be at least in general agreement.

24 state senators. So yes 14 is in fact a majority. And the NH house did not succeed in passing gun control bills in 2013. We stopped them before it reached the senate.

Rockingham county was red. The blue towns within Rockingham County are lee, durham, madbury, Dover, Somersworth, Rochester (all b/c of UNH), Portsmouth and Rye (artsy hippies)...

Other blue spots are Concord, Manchester, Nashua, Keene and Hanover.

Libertarian hotspots are Manchester and Keene...

Just to correct the record, lee, durham, madbury, Dover, Somersworth, Rochester are in Strafford county. Also Rochester voted for Trump.

It was a close race, official margin was 1,023 votes, not exactly a rout.

I'm not sure what you mean by "many non-votes"? I don't see much indication anybody cast a ballot but left the senate line blank, with 9500 more ballots cast for Senator than President. (NH SOS hasn't released totals on write-in for the presidential race).

In just one county, Strafford (the one I live in) there were 70,077 ballots cast. Link: http://sos.nh.gov/2016BallotsGen.aspx?id=8589963628

However, when you add up the numbers for US Senate in Strafford county, you see something interesting (http://sos.nh.gov/2016USSGen.aspx?id=8589963597). Only 68,390 votes were tallied. This includes write ins. Thus with some simple math we see that 1,687 people did not vote for US Senate at all. 1,687 people left it blank.
You will note that 1,687 is greater than the 978 votes that separated Hassan and Ayotte. And remember this is just one of ten counties.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't Shaheen come up in 2018?

No. Senate terms are for 6 years. Shaheen was 2014. Thus 2020 is when Shaheen is up for re-election.

It means absolutely nothing.

Hassan has no control over gun bills in NH anymore. Even if Ayotte's recount is unsuccessful (it likely will be), and Hassan is still on the government payroll, she will be at the federal level and not state.

NH just elected it's first republican governor in 12 years, kept the same balance of power in the senate (14-10, though this could drop to 13-11 if democrat Hosmer wins the recount in the race he lost), and will retain control of the house, albeit with a smaller margin. Republicans even retained a majority on the executive council.

I don't wanna hear any more bullshit from anyone about how NH is a "blue state."

This is important. A Republican governor is a big deal. Maybe constitutional carry will pass in NH now. Its up to the legislature.

Maggie Hassan serving in a Republican controlled Federal Senate is irrelevant. She essentially just keeps a seat warm.

God it must suck to finally win a senate seat. Only to have both houses of Congress and the President be from the opposing party. Ha ha ha.

In just one county, Strafford (the one I live in) there were 70,077 ballots cast. Link: http://sos.nh.gov/2016BallotsGen.aspx?id=8589963628

However, when you add up the numbers for US Senate in Strafford county, you see something interesting (http://sos.nh.gov/2016USSGen.aspx?id=8589963597). Only 68,390 votes were tallied. This includes write ins. Thus with some simple math we see that 1,687 people did not vote for US Senate at all. 1,687 people left it blank.
You will note that 1,687 is greater than the 978 votes that separated Hassan and Ayotte. And remember this is just one of ten counties.

Does that also include machine-read errors where the voter over-colored (or under-colored the ballots)? I was surprised she didn't opt for the recount.

This is what happens when you have open borders. M*******s move North and take their liberal politics with them. Now NH is a blue State with two left wing, Obama supporting Senators. Looks like my escape from Ma. will have to look elsewhere.

Keep that crap going. Most of the members on this board are transplanted from elsewhere, usually mass., and if they left your state would be effed.

With state level government fully in GOP hands the loose residency and same day voter registration garbage can be tightened up to end M******* and out of state student fraud. That should start to swing the federal delegation in NH back to something more representative of the state next election cycle.

Does that also include machine-read errors where the voter over-colored (or under-colored the ballots)? I was surprised she didn't opt for the recount.

Ayotte decided to quit. A spread of 0.1 percent should be recounted.

Maggie Hassan serving in a Republican controlled Federal Senate is irrelevant. She essentially just keeps a seat warm.

It gives her the advantage of incumbency. It gives the Democratic Party elite a rubber stamp for their agenda when the US Senate flips. That's why the out of state money flooded in.

They couldn't see enough difference between the two to care. Hassan is worse but the margin is not large.

You have TWO D-SENATORS and the majority voted Hillary …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Dyi8v.gif

Ayotte decided to quit. A spread of 0.1 percent should be recounted.
It gives her the advantage of incumbency. It gives the Democratic Party elite a rubber stamp for their agenda when the US Senate flips. That's why the out of state money flooded in.
They couldn't see enough difference between the two to care. Hassan is worse but the margin is not large.

Ayotte's name was mentioned tonight on the news regarding rumors of Trump appointee's...................

I did my duty today and picked up all the free target backers and stands --oops, "campaign signs"-- that I could find in my area.

About halfway through, I noticed that 75% of the Ayotte signs I picked up were the "Ayotte for Special Interests" signs that duplicated her real sign except for the wording. These were paid for by the NH Democratic Party, and were placed to block the real signs. I had never noticed that while driving by, and barely noticed it when I was picking them up.

Since Ayotte didn't need any assistance in losing, I enjoy knowing the Dems wasted thousands of dollars advertising for her.

I left a couple of them out, because the Democrats don't pick up their own trash.

Guys, stop posting questions that make it obvious you can't read a thread for shit.

The real question to ask is: "What does a Sununu victory mean for 2A in NH?"

Hate to pick on you but that was already answered.

NH votes libertarian issues, not party lines. Ayotte wasn't acting anti-establishment enough (by dropping Trump), so she got booted. She's a quick learner and may redeem herself as a Trump appointee.

Hassan has shown she has little political savvy. She served as a roadblock to state wishes as governor and did very little else (not that the governor can). She was DUMB to run for Senate this election cycle. Now she's in a lame duck seat and will end up a "me too" one-hit wonder if she goes up against real competition in 6 years. If Trump only serves one term we'll flip Senators easily. If it's midterm on a Trump second term the Republican candidate will have to earn it. Her strategically dumb move opened up the state to the R's and now we're going to reap the benefits. I'm sure the DNC realizes they f'ed up.

At the state level we're libertarian and vote with our head and not with our feels (there's less uninformed voters here per capita). At the federal level we suffer because the state's Republican party tends to put up Congressional candidates that slant conservative and/or who would help bring dollars in to the state's tech / defense sector. That doesn't ring as true with enough voters to lock in the federal seats for R's. What I'm not sure about is why: Whether we're a little "party-schizophrenic", or if it's just that not enough"in-tune" Republican candidates have trickled up through the political system yet to be presented to the state as a candidate.

Last edited:
Ayotte's name was mentioned tonight on the news regarding rumors of Trump appointee's...................

Appointees are where we start learning about the Trump behind the rhetoric.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom