What do you consider to be a high round count in terms of firearms?

Paul455 said:
I have a Remington Nylon 66 .22 rifle that I bought new in 1972.
Round count estimate is probably 30,000 or more. Still works fine.

I have a 1912 Remington take down that my Gdad bought from a Revere Beach shooting gallery that has so many bricks of 22 through it, that I lost count in the 50's. Bore is fine, accuracy is as good as can be expected, and it's a 4th generation rifle. 22's are self lubricating like 22 year olds.

yeah, that's cool. but something i have always done is keep a small notebook with my pistols, don't bother with the rifles. as soon as i get the box of a new pistol home, i toss a notebook in. first entry is of course date purchased, price, from where and then i start the clock. i have a touch of ocd, i like lists and making them. i also arrange books, cd's in neat lines. can't help it, it's a sickness. started to slow down on it though as i get older.
I understand the OCD thing. I am that way when it comes to my cars, boat, ATV’s, generators or anything that needs a regular service. Like you, I keep a notebook of all my maintenance records. And like you I also keep my CD’s in neat alphabetical order.;)

But when it come to my guns I feel I also take very good care of them, but not to the point of keeping a round count. I don’t need to keep maintenance records for my guns because every time I shoot them they get cleaned. They don’t get cleaned and inspected after a certain amount of rounds have been blasted through them, the get cleaned and inspected after every time they are shot.

I have never thought about that before.

I have Canadian friends that have logs for every bullet shot through their Glocks, but they shoot competitively and that was the first time I have been exposed to counting your to rounds.

I figured that with most firearms you shoot it till is just isn’t accurate any longer.

I have my NORINCO underfolder that I have shot about 3000 rds through it, and mostly very quickly, but I have never thought it would “wear out”.

RC

Thought this would bring up some interesting discussion...

What do you personally consider to be a high round count in terms of firearms? Does it differ between .22 rimfire pistols and rifles, to shotguns, to rifles; whether defensive in use or precision/competition oriented? Does degredation in perfomance a primary decision in your consideration, or overall wear?

What sparked this idea was that I recently passed the 14K round count mark in my Canik TP9SFL and it is still running marvelously, and I will be posting a thread with pictures featuring how it's been wearing. Along the same theme, I also estimated I have at least 15-16K rounds through my CZ 612 Trap gun... been running great and slaying clays since I picked it up a few years back. I know some Competitive pistol and shotgun shooters will shoot upwards of 10K per year, easily.
For barrel wear , when accuracy falls below what ever your "like new " accuracy was.
22s and most good quality shotguns , if taken care of round count is not much of a issue for me.
there are parts that will wear out. They will show thier face regardless of round count.

For barrel wear unless your are shooting a 22-250 or a 220 Swift I would not stay up nights over it. I had some knot head who I was selling a Walther to, who agreed to purchase it and then backed out when I could not document the round count.

This is a great conversation. I think round type and caliber are an important part of that conversation too. That notwithstanding, I guess I have at least 20K rounds through my Citori, 75% of which were my own loads. I probably have a couple/few handguns that have ~5K rounds through them with 75% factory loads, though that ratio is slowly changing. I was never a big rifle person, so I’d be surprised if any of them have over 1K rounds, likely all factory, but I have been experimenting with .30-06.

For barrel wear unless your are shooting a 22-250 or a 220 Swift I would not stay up nights over it. I had some knot head who I was selling a Walther to, who agreed to purchase it and then backed out when I could not document the round count.
Document round count? So if you gave him a notebook with dates and number of rounds through it that you made up the buyer would have been satisfied? That's nuts.

Depends on what it is and what caliber it's chambered in. 10,000 rounds in a centerfire handgun of any worth is not a whole hell of a lot. On the other hand you take some weirdo rifle calibers that run at high velocities and the barrels can be pretty much toast in a few thousand rounds or less.

-Mike
Yes, AR barrells for instance. Anderson barrells are good for around 15000 rds while FN go for a double that at least.

Back
Top Bottom