• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you consider "open carry?"

StevieP

NES Member
I normally carry a compact semi-automatic handgun iwb, with a long shirt or a jacket covering it.

Last fall I bought my first revolver, a k-frame 4.25" model 66 .357. I hadn't gotten a holster & carried it until today. For whater reason I felt if I were ever to carry it I'd do so "openly."

So after a long search I bought a Simply Rugged sourdough pancake OWB holster. I even ordered it in oxblood color instead of my typical black. I like the way it holds the gun, and it's comfortable. I wore it out to dinner my wife & friends at P.F. Chang's. With a long, un-tucked shirt covering it. Sigh...

So, while it's "OWB," I still don't feel I've "open carried," since nobody saw it.

How do *you* define open carry?

Personally, if the gun is hidden behind a long untucked shirt , it is concealed. If the shirt were tucked in and the gun in OWB and nothing is concealing it, then that is open carry.

Personally, if the gun is hidden behind a long untucked shirt , it is concealed. If the shirt were tucked in and the gun in OWB and nothing is concealing it, then that is open carry.

This. Makes me smile every time Lady Radtekk puts on her G26 in the Rose-embossed pancake holster she paid dearly for, and then covers it. Kinda like gun lingerie:)

One definition, from NH.gov: "The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack."

Basically, nothing obscuring the gun in anyway. Plenty of people concealed carry OWB.

Stevie - I've coined a term that I use in OC friendly Connecticut. I call it "casual carry"

I use the term because since I typically wear an untucked shirt, its more effort to OC than to CC.

I may choose to carry a G17 in an OWB holster with nothing but a white T shirt over it. I make no effort to conceal. But I'm also not going to tuck in my shirt just to annoy the Antis. I print like the NY Times.

In CT I usually Casual Carry. i.e. convered, but with no effort to conceal the firearm at all.

The only time I OC really is at political events or (before I got my NH P&R) when I was in NH.

One other thing. Carrying like this really shows you how most people do not notice what is going on around them.

A couple of years ago I carried a G34 with a compensator in a Safariland ALS (huge holster that sits far away from your body) to Stop and Shop for an early morning Bagel run. At least 2 inches of compensator and slide was below the hem of my shirt. The gun stuck out like I was wearing a football on my belt. I didn't get a single strange look.

Don

I'd like to take this one step further.

I carry a Keltec P3AT in .380. I normally carry it in one of my front pockets of my slacks or jeans. It's small enough to just disappear into those pockets. However, a while back I purchased a belt holster for it called a "sneaky Pete". It's made from very nice black leather, has a leather lined interior and when it's on my belt it looks for all the world that it's a medium sized notebook holder. No one.......not one person I've asked, has ever thought of it as a holster holding a firearm but there it is, right out in the open for the public to see. I've worn it to church, shopping, reastaurants, etc., not one eyebrow raised. It's accessible, too. It would be easy to present if needed.

This is a new approach to "open carry" since the gun is right out in public in that pretty black container. Unlike those old "fanny packs" that scream "look in me", this innocuous holster is really invisible to the average person would not suspect anything out of the ordinary with this type of carry.

Rome

Also, if you are going to truly OPEN carry, its my opinion that you should use a retention holster.

Your casual carry with the untucked shirt is probably fine. But if you are truly open about it, then a retention holster gives a bit of security. Especially if you carry it behind your hip.

Open carry = anyone can see the gun and it is obvious.
OWB holster + garment covering the holster and gun = OWB CC carry, also known as lazy carry (very comfortable)
IWB holster = what most people think of when you say CC

This is an open carry state, but I have yet to see anyone doing it. I have open carried a few times going to the range, but I didn't have to do any errands on the way. From what I understand, its just not a good idea anyway.

If it's covered by a shirt it's concealed. If it prints or your shirt blows away and someone sees it, I guess it's open, at least as far as they are concerned.

This is an open carry state, but I have yet to see anyone doing it. I have open carried a few times going to the range, but I didn't have to do any errands on the way. From what I understand, its just not a good idea anyway.

I see people open carrying all the time. I occasionally open carry if I am feeling lazy.

"casual carry"

Stevie - I've coined a term that I use in OC friendly Connecticut. I call it "casual carry". I use the term because since I typically wear an untucked shirt, its more effort to OC than to CC.
The only time I OC really is at political events or (before I got my NH P&R) when I was in NH.
For people with a NH P&R, "casual carry" is common. Not quite as in-your-face as open carry, good for when you have to visit tourist-prone areas in the summer.

This is an open carry state, but I have yet to see anyone doing it.

Cops and security guards do it all the time, and the latter group doesn't have any authority that you don't have.

I don't because I don't like attracting attention, unless someone is going to pay me for the aggravation or something.

-Mike

Open Carry: If it's not out and proud and unmistakeably armament, it's not OC.

The only states prohibiting handgun open carry are Florida,California, Illinois, New York and South Carolina. (And some non-states, like DC).

You can do that in your state, [NH], as it is still a free state, for the time being.
Ooh, ominous!

Given that the most liberal town in the state, Hanover, posts "open carry is a right" on their website, I'm not worried about the future of [NH]. Sure, we're having to fight a bit harder than we'd like to get Vermont-style carry, but I'll take that fight any day over, say, Hanover, MA.

Well this is not MAshooters.com, and this is not the MA Law subforum nor did the OP specify any MA concerns in his post, so...
Many people seem to feel this is MAshooters.com. That said, OP asks what our personal definition of "Open Carry" is, not the legal term.

Back
Top Bottom