• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you consider "open carry?"

Back in the early 90s, I had a desantis fanny pack. It was very well made, but it cost about 40 dollars in 1990.

I was in college, working at a restaurant and we all kept our "bank" in a fanny pack. So I didn't stand out.

Don

Out of curiosity, am I correct in interpreting (from NH.gov):

"The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack."

That despite the term "fully exposed," if I were to OC in NH without a P&R, that an IWB holster with a shirt tucked in behind it would be good to go? The pants would obviously cover the bottom half of the slide but the grip would still be showing.

Out of curiosity, am I correct in interpreting (from NH.gov):

"The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack."

That despite the term "fully exposed," if I were to OC in NH without a P&R, that an IWB holster with a shirt tucked in behind it would be good to go? The pants would obviously cover the bottom half of the slide but the grip would still be showing.

Yes, legal, but not smart.

If you are going to OC a gun, a retention holster is preferable. Especially when you are going to carry it at 4 or 5 oclock. It is REALLY easy to grab from an IWB holster carried on the back.

Yes, legal, but not smart.

If you are going to OC a gun, a retention holster is preferable. Especially when you are going to carry it at 4 or 5 oclock. It is REALLY easy to grab from an IWB holster carried on the back.

Makes sense. I haven't had the time to find a retention holster for my P226 so I was thinking AIWB with a tucked in shirt could suffice "in a pinch." I figured holstered at appendix or 9/10 o'clock (lefty) would make a grab tough(er).

Here's my open carry in down town Holliston on Saturday, Holliston Firearms had a customer appreciation BBQ. Cops came buy for free lunch, did not say a thing about it. image.jpeg

Also, if you are going to truly OPEN carry, its my opinion that you should use a retention holster.

Your casual carry with the untucked shirt is probably fine. But if you are truly open about it, then a retention holster gives a bit of security. Especially if you carry it behind your hip.

100% agree. I was just saying this very thing last week to my wife when we were in Italy. I made the observation of the various police that I saw with no retention clips or straps of any kind. Just simple white leather holsters. That would make me very nervous, especially in dense crowds. That isn't even considering the fact that they may need to actually run after someone.

Many European police have lanyards.

Did they have lanyards?

Not the ones I was looking at, that's what was so surprising. There was nothing that would have prevented someone with nefarious intentions from grabbing the gun and killing them.

Back
Top Bottom