• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you carry when you dont want to carry

A recording of the racking sound of my Mossberg 500, and a laser pointer. I hear that those two things will deter 99% of attackers.

O come on lol. There are situations where you cant or dont want to carry. For example going to the beach/boating, on school grounds, traveling out of state or going out to the bar. Especially the last one.

Hear no evil..... speak no evil...... see no evil.

The feds do not recognize FLRB relief for ANY offense, and will not accept proof that the FLRB has granted relief as the basis for removal of a disqualifier frmo the NICS database.

I know of a case where an individual who has been granted FLRB relief for a > 2 year misdemeanor filed a NICS appeal, and provided proof he had been granted FLRB relief. The feds refused, and he remains in the NICS "no bjy" database.

Sounds familiar. I was told recently that the mechanism for demonstrating FLRB relief was the VAF, and not the standard NICS denial appeal. Thoughts?

Knives, OC spray, batons ect.. What do you guys carry for personal defense when you dont want to carry a pistol? I have been thinking of getting a S&W Tactical pen or maybe a nice folder.

When I don't want to carry my gun I carry my gun. My life and the lives of my family are more important than the minimal inconvenience of carrying a block of Glock.

Type I hand phaser and I just got a light saber app for my smart phone. It's all good....

The feds do not recognize FLRB relief for ANY offense, and will not accept proof that the FLRB has granted relief as the basis for removal of a disqualifier frmo the NICS database.

I know of a case where an individual who has been granted FLRB relief for a > 2 year misdemeanor filed a NICS appeal, and provided proof he had been granted FLRB relief. The feds refused, and he remains in the NICS "no bjy" database.

I'd be very interested to know if they've initiated felon in possession charges against anyone who had FLRB clearance. This appears to be an administrative decision to determine who's name goes in the "No soup for you" database, and not necessarily their position on prosecutions. It seems like backdoor legislation to me that wouldn't hold up in court with a correctly worded defense, since the USC on the subject is very clear. It still leaves some people in a crappy situation.

Don't we have a person on this forum who recently got a FLRB relief granted, and I thought he was able to buy.....

I think the person you're referring to found out that he wasn't prohibited based on the date of his offense (and the shorter HOC penalty at the time).

i_have_skills_napoleon_dynamite_card-p137867552372058946q0yk_400.jpg

Well, the brain and body are not what they used to be, so fists and training are in need of some tuning up.

Otherwise, maybe this will help you:

"alternative" knives

Chances are if you can't carry a gun there, other weapons are a no-go too.
Ah, not necessarily. Where I work for example (DARPA operations, military work), we're not allowed to carry into the building, but non-firearms are allowed (mace, folding knives under 4", for example). Firearms are only allowed under a very strict set of circumstances, as well.

It is 100% legal to carry into a bar in Mass. It's not legal for an LTC holder to carry a firearm while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The douchebags the sheep voted into office never defined the liquor law here. Therefore they're allowed to f**k you if you had a beer ten hours ago...let jail time ensue. [thumbsup]

Ah, not necessarily. Where I work for example (DARPA operations, military work), we're not allowed to carry into the building, but non-firearms are allowed (mace, folding knives under 4", for example). Firearms are only allowed under a very strict set of circumstances, as well.

I did not know that. Can you tell I don't spend time on military bases? [laugh]

The douchebags the sheep voted into office never defined the liquor law here. Therefore they're allowed to f**k you if you had a beer ten hours ago...let jail time ensue. [thumbsup]

It's a complicated issue, and it could be argued several different ways. My point is only that there's no question about the legality of carrying into a bar, the only question is regarding how much of the bar is carried in you. [wink]

...The douchebags ... never defined the liquor law here. Therefore they're allowed to **** you if you had a beer ten hours ago...let jail time ensue. [thumbsup]

Actually, they just look the other way if you are politically connected, wealthy, famous, or are law enforcement; or know someone in the preceding categories. It is up to "officer discretion" to pick and choose who to punish and how.

Actually, they just look the other way if you are politically connected, wealthy, famous, or are law enforcement; or know someone in the preceding categories. It is up to "officer discretion" to pick and choose who to punish and how.

Guess I'll keep the Admirals and Generals (I haven't pissed off yet) in the background, in case I get caught lighting fireworks while having a beer [wink]

Knives, OC spray, batons ect.. What do you guys carry for personal defense when you dont want to carry a pistol? I have been thinking of getting a S&W Tactical pen or maybe a nice folder.
If you decide to buy some kind of tactical pen, please report back with how well it works as a writing tool. I've been thinking about buying one of those since I'm sick and tired of Staples pens falling apart.

kel-tec, because it fits in my front pocket, no matter how tight my jeans are, and I have a cute little red pepper spray thingy that matches my purse .. When I was bartending, I carried something bigger

It is 100% legal to carry into a bar in Mass. It's not legal for an LTC holder to carry a firearm while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Not arguing with you, but do you know where it says that? I can't recall ever seeing it in the MGL's?

kel-tec, because it fits in my front pocket, no matter how tight my jeans are, and I have a cute little red pepper spray thingy that matches my purse .. When I was bartending, I carried something bigger

12ga 870?[wink]

Last edited:
When I can't carry=nothing. I always carry a pocket knife but I don't really regard it as a weapon.
When I don't want to carry=442
When I do want to carry=1911

It's a complicated issue, and it could be argued several different ways. My point is only that there's no question about the legality of carrying into a bar, the only question is regarding how much of the bar is carried in you. [wink]

GSG, how would this play out if one had been drinking at home for a few hours in the evening, then used a firearm in a self-defense scenario against a B&E perpetrator in your bedroom at 2am?

With regard to the alcohol thing, for me I don't change carry habits unless i know that I'll be having "more than a few". Like many are saying here, it's another bullshit interpretation of the law...so I don't get too upset about that. I thunk on it for quite a while, then compared the scenarios in which I would actually draw the pistol to the reason I carry in the first place...just because I had two beers doesn't mean that my mission statement is now invalid.

When I don't have a CCW, you can usually find at least 3 blades on me, which are atm usually a leatherman skeletool/MUT, ESEE RAT3, and ESEE Izula. The fixed knives stay in high riding belt holsters, quite concealed.

Back
Top Bottom