What do you carry when you dont want to carry

Knives, OC spray, batons ect.. What do you guys carry for personal defense when you dont want to carry a pistol? I have been thinking of getting a S&W Tactical pen or maybe a nice folder.

O come on lol. There are situations where you cant or dont want to carry. For example going to the beach/boating, on school grounds, traveling out of state or going out to the bar. Especially the last one.

O come on lol. There are situations where you cant or dont want to carry. For example going to the beach/boating, on school grounds, traveling out of state or going out to the bar. Especially the last one.

It is legal to carry in a bar as long as you are not drinking.

Other times I at least have one or two knives on me, but you have to be carefull with knives as they could be concidered as something you can not carry on a campus.

I worked on a college campus for 25 years, I was told by the college police once that my Leatherman could get me in trouble if someone complained.

Someone that I worked with did complian once but it didn't go anywere because that person got into more trouble from things he was doing and the heat shifted from me to him and he wasn't there much longer [smile] so it died.

Last edited:
O come on lol. There are situations where you cant or dont want to carry.

Chances are if you can't carry a gun there, other weapons are a no-go too.

going to the beach/boating

That's only illegal on some beaches in Mass., and carrying a pistol is generally legal on a boat.

on school grounds

You can't carry anything dangerous there, including a knife or can of OC, unless you have permission from the school.

traveling out of state

With enough permits in your wallet and avoiding federally defined school zones you can legally carry in a lot of other states.

going out to the bar.

It is 100% legal to carry into a bar in Mass. It's not legal for an LTC holder to carry a firearm while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

It is 100% legal to carry into a bar in Mass. It's not legal for an LTC holder to carry a firearm while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Interesting... Does under the influence mean over the limit or no alcohol at all. This is of particular interest to me because I usually go to the beach in my neighborhood and have a beer(no less no more) before heading to bed. I usually just bring my cheapo folder with me but I would much prefer my M&P since on occasion belligerently drunk people will show up there to drink more/do drugs.

Interesting... Does under the influence mean over the limit or no alcohol at all. This is of particular interest to me because I usually go to the beach in my neighborhood and have a beer(no less no more) before heading to bed. I usually just bring my cheapo folder with me but I would much prefer my M&P since on occasion belligerently drunk people will show up there to drink more/do drugs.

Well lets put it this way, I haven't had a drop of alcohol in around 25 to 30 years (maybe more, I cant remember now it been so long), you take it from there.

I saw something on TV a few times were they tested Alcohol (I think it was Myth Busters) and it was hard for them to prove or disprove when you were concidered "at the limit".

So if you are carrying or thinking of carrying it makes good since to stay away from ALCOHOL.

Does under the influence mean over the limit or no alcohol at all.

It's not defined, and a skilled prosecutor could argue it a few different ways. If convicted the offense is also a lifetime federal prohibitor, a conviction that can't be overturned by the FLRB because it involves weapons. In the eyes of the feds it's a felony, so you'd never be able to touch guns or ammo for the rest of your life, if convicted.

But with all that said, one beer would be a long stretch for "under the influence." You could still carry OC while drunk, no law against that as long as you're licensed. Like anything else in Mass. it could play into "suitability" if discovered.

I CAN'T carry at schools. (don't ever go there) Post offices (go there rarely and it's a few minutes tops) Courthouses (I'm surrounded by armed bailiffs and totally unconcerned) Bars (never go there) and mental hospitals and jails which I don't visit.

I'm not disarmed anywhere else except in airports, where I'm surrounded by armed people.

So basically, other than rare occurrences (plane flights) I'm never disarmed. I don't like to be disarmed. I WON'T be disarmed unless I have no choice. I CHOOSE not to place myself in situations where I will be disarmed unless it's something very important to me. In other words, almost never.

I have never seem a need for a weapon other than a gun that is better than my fists, knees, arms and legs. YMMV. I just take the word of people I know that are actual experts o this stuff that have told me to run away and not fight. I trust their judgment. Goodness knows it's very rare that I'm actually disarmed by law.

If convicted the offense is also a lifetime federal prohibitor, a conviction that can't be overturned by the FLRB because it involves weapons.

The feds do not recognize FLRB relief for ANY offense, and will not accept proof that the FLRB has granted relief as the basis for removal of a disqualifier frmo the NICS database.

I know of a case where an individual who has been granted FLRB relief for a > 2 year misdemeanor filed a NICS appeal, and provided proof he had been granted FLRB relief. The feds refused, and he remains in the NICS "no bjy" database.

if not carrying the 40 cal glock, the P238 Sig (380) fits in any pocket I have. This includes swimming trunks (no I don't swim with it!)
If I am not carrying that, I don't carry anything. I do think about where I am going and the risk with this. I then have to rely on the brain I am carrying and be aware of the circumstances that i could be getting into.

O come on lol. There are situations where you cant or dont want to carry.

When you can't carry it becomes a non-permissive envrionment. One needs to balance the risks(discovery & legal penalties) over the rewards (the whole juged by 12 vs carried by 6 thing).

There are sheeple here who will obey every law to the letter.
There are men here willing to protect their famlies and themselves because evil exists in the world.

I always have my knife, and I usually carry OC.
Every now and again we'll go to the local pub and that's all I bring.

I don't like the fact that I can't have a glass of wine when we're out a dinner tho...
All the more reason to save by eating/drinking at home.

My 5 shot knife...
0601012326.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still stuck on the post about a leatherman potentially getting someone in trouble. This is why we can't ever give an inch, and why I despise the Fudd.

The feds do not recognize FLRB relief for ANY offense, and will not accept proof that the FLRB has granted relief as the basis for removal of a disqualifier frmo the NICS database.

I know of a case where an individual who has been granted FLRB relief for a > 2 year misdemeanor filed a NICS appeal, and provided proof he had been granted FLRB relief. The feds refused, and he remains in the NICS "no bjy" database.

Don't we have a person on this forum who recently got a FLRB relief granted, and I thought he was able to buy.....

Ok, serious answer. I go down to RI to visit my folks a lot and I can't carry there. It unnerves me to no end. I carry a knife. Not that I think I'd be any good in a knife fight, especially if the other guy has a gun. I pretty much resign myself to being a victim every time I go to RI.

Back
Top Bottom