• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you carry for defensive ammo?

Seems like the majority of us use Critical Defense and HST. Has to be for a reason, I hear/watch/read nothing but good about the two.

Critical Defense looks pretty bad ass too. Not that it matters how a round looks but it's definitely the coolest looking round right after that R.I.P Ammo; too bad I'd never use defensive ammunition with the name R.I.P. lol...

Last edited:
Corbon 160 gr .45 ACP. This stuff runs about 1100 fps or so. Unfortunately, at $2.00 per round, I might be too cheap to defend myself.

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in my .38spl LCR. Hornady in my G19, although I'd like to switch to Corbon DPX if I can find it.

Winchester PDX1 Bonded
124 grain +P 9mm / 165 grain 40 S&W/ and 60 grain 223 REM.
They get great reviews on shooting the bull/Ammoquest. and available at Wal mart nationwide

Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124g +P.

outdoorhub-top-5-9mm-self-defense-ammunition-choices-2015-02-09_22-55-22.jpg

(not my photo)

Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P 124 grain.

Because it's a round proven in the real world, not in advertising. And so when asked after a shooting why I use such terrible, killy, ammunition i can say I don't know much about ammo but figure if it's good enough for the NYPD to issue to its officers, it's good enough for me.

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in my .38spl LCR. Hornady in my G19, although I'd like to switch to Corbon DPX if I can find it.

I used to run CorBon DPX until I took the GOAL EDC course. We shot through a windshield and the CorBon, being a non-bonded bullet, came apart while the bonded bullets (Gold Dot in my case) did not. Now I run Gold Dots in everything.

Federal HST 150gr in my G19. Pdx1 124gr +p in my shield. It would probably be HST across the board but I've only been able to find 20 round boxes locally. It's expensive as hell!!!

Different rounds for different jobs seasons wx. Ball ammo really, hope you like a jail cell next to the guy you shot after your round kills some innocent bystander. Make more informed round choices.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

In the revolvers mostly
federal (38g) 38 special +p 158 grain semi wad cutter hp. (FBI load)
sometimes golden sabre .357 mag 125 grain jhp

in the 9s
federal (9bp) 115 grain hi-shock jhp
thinking of moving up to federal (9bple) +p+ 115 grain jhp

the federal 9mm can be had for .30 to .35 per round when purchased by the case, I use if for about 25% of my practice.

Back
Top Bottom