What do I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What to buy,what to buy?

Poor college kid who still lives with his parents here.Almost done with my Hunter Safety class,so I can get an FID soon.What should I buy? this would be easy except I'm looking for a gun with aperture peep sights.I want to at least get a gun to plink with so i can hone my skills,and if possible a muzzleloader or shotgun to hunt with. Suggestions?

Poor college kid who still lives with his parents here.Almost done with my Hunter Safety class,so I can get an FID soon.What should I buy? this would be easy except I'm looking for a gun with aperture peep sights.I want to at least get a gun to plink with so i can hone my skills,and if possible a muzzleloader or shotgun to hunt with. Suggestions?

For plinking, you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. The ammo is extremely inexpensive, and you can find the gun used for very little money.

As far as something to hunt with, it depends on how often you would like to hunt. I would recommend getting a muzzleloader first, as you can use it during shotgun season as well. I don't know that much about them, but many of my friends are fond of Thompson Center Arms, and you can pick up an Omega inline for around $300. From what I have heard, they are quality guns.

When you have enough money and want to buy a shotgun, I'd suggest a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. I prefer Remington myself, but you can't go wrong either way. The Mossberg is cheaper, and many will argue that it is just as reliable and accurate. It depends on how much dough you want to spend, but either one would make a decent beginner shotgun.

Just my .02, hope it helps!

Ruger 10/22 is my recommendation.
I got one for $135 at a gun show. Someone right before me bought one for $115.
I missed it by a few minutes.

Also look at the Savage bolt .22's, which come with a superb trigger. I believe there is still a target model with aperture rear/interchangeable insert front sights available.

Also look at the Savage bolt .22's, which come with a superb trigger. I believe there is still a target model with aperture rear/interchangeable insert front sights available.

I have a Savage MkII and love it dearly. There is a model with target sights, but it's more expensive by quite a bit.

By the way, does a 10/22 fall under the definition of a "hi-capacity" rifle, since it has the ability to take a hi-capacity magazines?

Hardly an original thought here but like some of the others I would recommend a good 22 rifle (it doesn't have to be a Ruger 10/22 but that is a good choice; Marlin makes some good 22's as does Savage) and then maybe one of the Mossberg 500 shotgun combos...one with two barrels, one for shot (bird hunting etc, can also double for personal defense) and the other barrel for slugs (good for deer hunting and other game).

Mark L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Bread View Post

By the way, does a 10/22 fall under the definition of a "hi-capacity" rifle, since it has the ability to take a hi-capacity magazines?

That's what I was thinking. Since 30-rounders are available.

You both need to think less and read more. This has already been discussed, at length.

Show me ANY Ruger long arm on the "Large Capacity Roster."

Show me ANY Ruger 10/22 mag that holds more than 10 rounds.

Anyone w/an FID card can lawfully purchase or possess a 10/22, new or used, so long as it comes w/the standard capacity magazines. An LTC is required if - and only if - aftermarket "large capacity" mags are involved.

Dealers who state otherwise are misinformed or blindly subservient.

Last edited:
I'm with the 10/22 crowd.I also think Mark's suggestion for a combo Mossberg is a good idea. You can find them for around $200 if you look a little bit.

There is also the "Handi-rifle" that takes different barrels and different calibers, and also shoots black powder for deer hunting.

Myself, I like a gun for a specific use, not a "Multi" type gun, but they do the job and save some money getting into a few different kinds of shooting.

You can find a good used Shotgun for under $200 every day of the week, and a Ruger 10/22 for around ~$150.

If you want to really spend less, look for a used Mossberg Bolt Action .22 with aperture sights. You'll find them in the dust bins at most local gun stores. They aren't popular these days, and I've seen them for as little as $70. They are great shooters, if not the prettiest girl at the prom!

Welcome to the forum, keep checking in.

My suggestion?

Get a good .22 that you like, that can have decent sights (or a scope), uses detachable mags and can have a sling installed.

Get it zeroed in for 25 meters (82 feet) and get used to it a little.

Then get yourself to an Appleseed or at least a Mini-Appleseed.

When you go to a full Appleseed, make sure to take 2 (TWO) Bricks of ammo, you're going to need them at some events.

Then, with that nice CMP certificate you'll be getting, buy an M1 Garand, while you still can, from CMP.

+1 for everything Nickle said. I did just that. I love my new (to me, the receiver is older than my parents) Garand. I bought an IBM M1 Carbine from the CMP too.

Ruger 10/22. Put a set of tech-sights on it to turn it into a Liberty Training Rifleand then attend an Appleseed.

Absolutely. Can't go wrong here. Tech-Sights are easy to put on, so don't let that stop you. Don't know where you are but if you want to try one, just say so. (or go GREEN and get to go to the upcoming shoots where you'll be able to try many different guns just for the asking).

Absolutely. Can't go wrong here. Tech-Sights are easy to put on, so don't let that stop you. Don't know where you are but if you want to try one, just say so. (or go GREEN and get to go to the upcoming shoots where you'll be able to try many different guns just for the asking).

You mean I can just show up at appleseed shoots and They'll let me shoot?

I just passed my hunter safety test and I'm getting and FID app tomorrow.What do I after that? I have never even shot a real gun,so I don't know what kind of gun to buy or where to buy it.I was thinking of joining the rod and gun club.I would hope there are some sporting gents down there that would allow me to try out their guns and I assume the range rents.
Whats the best way to really get into shooting? All I know is that all I can afford is a .22,a NEF pardner,or maybe a low end blackpowder,I like aperture peep sights (Which almost no .22 has) and I'm contemplating starting on a single shot so I learn the basics before I get all mixed up with other actions.(we tried basic operation of the five actions with dummy cartridges in the class.after handling that 30.30 lever gun,I just wanted to put it down and walk away.the three Cs, Clumsy,Clunky,Complicated).

B_R, where are you located?

There are a lot of folks here who would be glad to help you, maybe even take you shooting. Tel us wehre you live and someone from that area might post here for you.

Joining Gun Owners Action League, (GOAL) would be a good start, and put you in touch with the newsletter and all the clubs and activities going on in Mass.

If you live anywhere near me I'd be glad to take you shooting a few times, let you try some different guns, and help you get started.

Bill

They have walk on prices of a few dollars more than preregistering (flyer for this weekend). Under 21, women (until the end of '08), and active military shoot free (you still have to pay the range fee, usually just a few dollars). They usually have loaner 10/22's available, but you probably need to arrange a loaner ahead of time. You need to provide the ammo or find someone to get it for you if you aren't licensed yet.

22 with peep sights - check out the CMP Mossberg 44 model

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=107834274

(not my auction - used for example)

You should mention where you live, perhaps suggestions for club to vist, etc.
Also, go green if you're not already and attend some of the Member's shoots, I am sure people would be quite willing to allow you to try out a variety of weapons.

Another thought, if you're thinking single shot, is to get a decent air rifle - with this you could even practice in your basement once you set up a pellet trap. I'm not sure if you need a license to purchase an air rifle in Mass.....

Last edited:
I'd vote for an airgun. That way you can shoot in your basement. CMP has some nice ones with peep sights for fairly cheap money. Pellets are pennies and the airguns are super accurate.

B

The Pardner shotguns are actually pretty good. I have one and it only cost $150, only bad thing is they are Chinese if that bothers you. A .22 rifle can be had pretty cheap as well, you can put peep sights on a 10/22.

Like others have said post where you are and somebody is bound to invite you to the range.

Definitely post your general area - there is sure to be somebody who is willing to take you shooting and spend some time showing you some of your options.

If you are budget restricted then one of your best options is to get yourself a Ruger 10/22 rifle. The ammo (.22LR) is very cheap and available anywhere, the rifle is easy to maintain and parts are available anywhere, it is a very good rifle to train with (the Appleseed shoots usually have a large number of people using them) - and it is a rifle that you will want to keep even if you move up to bigger calibers - so it will be money well spent.

One last thing - if I was you, I would apply for the LTC-A even if you do not intend to carry concealed. It will give you more options as to what you can buy as far as firearms go. There is no reason not to have the LTC-A vs. the FID card that I can think of.

Since you say you've passed yout hunter safety course, I am assuming you will be hunting. If that is one of your primary goals, I would recommend a pump shotgun.

Take some folks up on their offer, and ask to shoot a shotgun. Or meny shotguns. See which ones you are comfortable with.

A shotgun is pretty much all you can use in Mass to hunt with, plus it is versatile enough to hunt anything from squirrels to birds to deer to bear and most anything in between.

You can get a very nice one that will do the job for well under $300. You can also later customize it for the job at hand by getting different barrels and accessories.

Definitely post your general area - there is sure to be somebody who is willing to take you shooting and spend some time showing you some of your options.

If you are budget restricted then one of your best options is to get yourself a Ruger 10/22 rifle. The ammo (.22LR) is very cheap and available anywhere, the rifle is easy to maintain and parts are available anywhere, it is a very good rifle to train with (the Appleseed shoots usually have a large number of people using them) - and it is a rifle that you will want to keep even if you move up to bigger calibers - so it will be money well spent.

One last thing - if I was you, I would apply for the LTC-A even if you do not intend to carry concealed. It will give you more options as to what you can buy as far as firearms go. There is no reason not to have the LTC-A vs. the FID card that I can think of.

I'm quoting Calsdad but others have recommended a Ruger 10/22. That's a .22 rifle which should cost about $200-$250. You can put whatever type of sights you want on it.

B_R, where are you located?

There are a lot of folks here who would be glad to help you, maybe even take you shooting. Tel us wehre you live and someone from that area might post here for you.

Joining Gun Owners Action League, (GOAL) would be a good start, and put you in touch with the newsletter and all the clubs and activities going on in Mass.

If you live anywhere near me I'd be glad to take you shooting a few times, let you try some different guns, and help you get started.

Bill

+1. post where you are. Many here would be willing to help get you started.

I'm assuming you are under 21 and that's why you went for FID? Otherwise take the basic pistol class and get an LTC if you can. (or are you actually going to pick it up, not just apply?)

You can easily upgrade the ruger 10/22 to peep sights (I use these: http://www.tech-sights.com/). I know local shops that have a few in stock at less than $150. Great rifle to learn the basics on and it will grow with you.

Also, if you "go green" and become a paid NES member you will have access to the two upcoming shoots where you'll be able to try lots of stuff for the asking.

If you make arrangements ahead of time (see the appleseed sub-forum under "training") you may be able to get a loaner .22. At ~$45 per day this is absolutely the best training deal going. They'll walk you through basic operation and get you the basics to shoot well. There is a shoot this weekend in CT.

How about buy an SKS? It's a good reliable and fun gun to shoot. The ammo is still relatively inexpensive compared to most calibers. It has some of the "assault" features Mass hates so much. And I have one for sale in the classifieds, what a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom