What cartridge for firing squad?

StevieP

NES Member
You'd think with the high tech armed drones we have now, would be easy to rig up a dozen RC robots with Glocks on it, just like the Israeli military now uses flying drones with Glocks rigged on it so they can shoot whatever well away from danger. A dozen RC armed robots already pointed at the condemned prisoner, one of the 12 robot guns has a blank round. Volunteer shooters don't even need to aim or look, could even be in a different building... just push the kill button and tell yourself you got the blank.

You'd think with the high tech armed drones we have now, would be easy to rig up a dozen RC robots with Glocks on it, just like the Israeli military now uses flying drones with Glocks rigged on it so they can shoot whatever well away from danger. A dozen RC armed robots already pointed at the condemned prisoner, one of the 12 robot guns has a blank round. Volunteer shooters don't even need to aim or look, could even be in a different building... just push the kill button and tell yourself you got the blank.
Way too expensive for a commie.

My opinion of the death penalty is that it's more about deterrence than actual justice. In order to maximize deterrence, I give you exhibit A (shamelessly reposted from the military caliber thread):

And someone has to aim for the face, of course.

The US is already spending way too much money on execution research. Lethal injection cocktails not 'humane' enough. In Vietnam, a single .38 point blank to the side of the head worked perfectly.
38 is too rich for my blood!

The thing about getting shot is that it doesn’t hurt until later. A few minutes, an hour, I guess it depends where you get hit.

When I got shot, it felt like a punch. No real pain until that night. Then it hurt like a mother for a good while.

I guess if you get one to the heart, you are dead before the pain has time to set in. Just speculating of course.

from wiki on the execution of gary gilmore in the '70's. i do remember the guns were 30-30 lever rifles, that was public knowledge at the time as this was a big event in the country and people were extremely curious about this execution. but the ammo used, first i've seen what type was used was just now when i read this segment that was in an article about gilmore. i believe there was a made for tv movie that was made and aired at the time. i may be wrong, tried to find it on imdb and nothing from back then.

"In Utah, firing squads consisted of five volunteer law enforcement officers from the county in which the conviction of the offender took place. The five executioners were equipped with .30-30 caliber rifles and off-the-shelf Winchester 150-grain (9.7 g) Silver Tip ammunition. The condemned was restrained and hooded, and the shots were fired at a distance of 20 feet (6 m), aiming at the chest.

Prison officials stated that the firing squad comprised four men with live rounds, and one with a blank, so that the shooters could not be certain as to who fired the fatal shots. However, upon inspecting the clothes worn by his brother Gary at his execution, Mikal Gilmore noted five holes in the shirt. According to his memoir Shot in the Heart, "the state of Utah, apparently, had taken no chances on the morning that it put my brother to death."

A dozen RC armed robots already pointed at the condemned prisoner, one of the 12 robot guns has a blank round. Volunteer shooters don't even need to aim or look, could even be in a different building... just push the kill button and tell yourself you got the blank.

Prison officials stated that the firing squad comprised four men with live rounds, and one with a blank, so that the shooters could not be certain as to who fired the fatal shots. However, upon inspecting the clothes worn by his brother Gary at his execution, Mikal Gilmore noted five holes in the shirt. According to his memoir Shot in the Heart, "the state of Utah, apparently, had taken no chances on the morning that it put my brother to death."

IIRC, the South Carolina procedure uses 3 volunteers from the state police, and there are no blank rounds.

and remember one shooter gets a blank .....
yeah, that has always been my understanding. something to do with the psychological effect of killing someone, so they would have that doubt if they had a live round or not. i guess to ease their conscience???

Meh, what do they call those guns that shoot like 1/4 moa at 500 yards? They are huge, breech loading 'rifles'. Get 3 or 4 of those, aim them in, random trigger to set them off.

No reason to turn anyone into a killer. We have enough people running around after 20 years of wars that have mental issues due to killing someone.

Back
Top Bottom