What cartridge for firing squad?

Well... but there's that pesky historical problem that horrific public executions (impalement, crucifixion, drawing and quartering) weren't very good deterrents. People kept on committing all the crimes.

Capital-punishment-as-a-deterrent is an argument that makes perfect sense on paper, but the history just doesn't back it up.
One might make the case that without those deterrents, there would have been significantly more of those crimes. No deterrent will work 100% of the time but it doesn’t mean they’re not effective.

Well... but there's that pesky historical problem that horrific public executions (impalement, crucifixion, drawing and quartering) weren't very good deterrents. People kept on committing all the crimes.

Capital-punishment-as-a-deterrent is an argument that makes perfect sense on paper, but the history just doesn't back it up.
Studies have shown that for deterrents to work they must be applied consistently, publicly and quickly.

Studies have shown that for deterrents to work they must be applied consistently, publicly and quickly.

They were. For centuries.

Ask the Romans how well they "solved" crime. They didn't, despite how painful their punishments were.

Still, I get it. I won't convince anyone. Like I said, "capital punishment as a deterrent" is logical. It should work. So? People will always think it's a great idea.

Ask the Romans how well they "solved" crime. They didn't, despite how painful their punishments were.

Still, I get it. I won't convince anyone. Like I said, "capital punishment as a deterrent" is logical. It should work. So? People will always think it's a great idea.
I agree it won’t “solve” crime. Criminals don’t follow the law. That’s why they’re criminals.

But without meaningful, swift and sure deterrents, I believe we would be much worse off.

Law abiding citizens are going to abide by the law. Deterrence isn’t really for them.

It’s for those who might otherwise consider the crime if they think the consequences aren’t assured, aren’t meaningful or aren’t timely.

There was a survey some time back I saw: thru asked men if they would commit rape if they 100% knew they would be assured they’d get away with it, nobody would know and there would be no consequences. Some insanely high percentage said they would rape under those circumstances.

If those with access to children and in charge of children’s programming were constantly reminded of the consequences with a life streamed public wood chipper feeding of a child rapist I do believe that would help act as a deterrent for those who might otherwise commit such acts. The ground beef being sprayed out the wood chipper and screams of the molesters might be enough to keep some kids safe.

But it certainly won’t eliminate crime, won’t have any impact on the law abiding and punishment must be universally applied, applied quickly and publicly. Fear does work on some.

.50bmg on goats. Youtube may have removed it but quite revealing as to the damage the round does to flesh.
I don’t want to see that. I’d rather see 50bmg used on a taliban goat f***er than a goat. I care far more about animals than people.

I've always had the opinion that people who commit/convicted of heinous crimes, should have heinous deaths.

I also would like to present to you my (I believe to be original) execution slide... construct a near vertical water slide , 75 feet ought to do it and add a nice launch ramp to the bottom of this slide. At the base or start of the launch ramp, make that bit of slide out of cheese grater blades, not much is needed, say 10 feet or so.

Think Water Country's Geronimo but with a spicy launch ramp.

Locate this slide out in the ocean about a mile off the Farallon Islands, a well known rock outcrop 30 miles offshore of California... LOTS of Great White sharks.

You ride the slide blindfolded and naked, whatever side you slide on is entirely up to you.

I believe this would be a proper deterrent and also satisfying to the victims surviving relatives.

But... if we have to use a fired projectile.

The runner up to the slide is gently place a 16" Mark 7 shell on the inmates chest while he/she is laying flat on the floor.

The beauty is, this one round can be used over and over... very cost efficient.

Vis-a-vis deterrence:

Well, I don't know, but when I try to think like a criminal, what I come up with is that deterrence is maximized when the perpetrator is reasonably certain they will be caught. Once you have that, or very nearly, you can tweak the punishment severity for some incremental deterrent effect. Otherwise, the murderer is typically going to be "all in" on the gamble of not getting caught.

something easy to be accurate with, with sights close as possible to bore axis to eliminate worrying about offset, and fairly powerful. I'd say an 03a3 or a Garand would be the way to go.

Also, no state that does this loads a blank round in anything. That is a popular culture myth. It would be too easy for a bunch of experienced riflemen to know if they fired a live round or a blank round. The difference in recoil and muzzle blast is too significant.

Last edited:
I've always had the opinion that people who commit/convicted of heinous crimes, should have heinous deaths.

I also would like to present to you my (I believe to be original) execution slide... construct a near vertical water slide , 75 feet ought to do it and add a nice launch ramp to the bottom of this slide. At the base or start of the launch ramp, make that bit of slide out of cheese grater blades, not much is needed, say 10 feet or so.

Think Water Country's Geronimo but with a spicy launch ramp.

Locate this slide out in the ocean about a mile off the Farallon Islands, a well known rock outcrop 30 miles offshore of California... LOTS of Great White sharks.

You ride the slide blindfolded and naked, whatever side you slide on is entirely up to you.

I believe this would be a proper deterrent and also satisfying to the victims surviving relatives.

But... if we have to use a fired projectile.

The runner up to the slide is gently place a 16" Mark 7 shell on the inmates chest while he/she is laying flat on the floor.

The beauty is, this one round can be used over and over... very cost efficient.
Here’s the one I have for child molesters: Place a large wooden table/bench in the middle of an empty barn out in the middle of nowhere. Nail the his penis to the table. Hand him a rusty saw or serrated knife. Light the barn on fire and let him choose his fate.

I don’t think there’s any way to quantify how it did or did not work back then. No one knows what crime would have been like without it. What is the crime/murder rate in Saudi Arabia?

Then there’s the justice/punishment part of it which needs to be taken into account as well.

I will agree with you that in its modern form in the US, it’s not a deterrent at all for the reasons @safetyfirst2125 mentioned.

So many questions

Could you be one of the three men to do it?

What do they use? It says rifles.

Where do they aim? At what distance?
Maybe the could do a lottery like they do with Moose Permits.

I say Mini Gun at twenty feet.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/vnmV_uyleO8?feature=share

I don’t think there’s any way to quantify how it did or did not work back then. No one knows what crime would have been like without it. What is the crime/murder rate in Saudi Arabia?

Then there’s the justice/punishment part of it which needs to be taken into account as well.

I will agree with you that in its modern form in the US, it’s not a deterrent at all for the reasons @safetyfirst2125 mentioned.

Yeah... I don't care what the murder rate is in Saudi. I'd never want to live in a place where my government had the kind of power they do over there. If that's what it takes to get a low crime rate, I'll take a high one.

I've never disputed the justice of capital punishment. My objection has more to do with trusting the state to get it right. Which I don't.

I’d pull the trigger… Not for some sick thrill. He’s condemned to death and is going to die either way. At least I give them a clean death.

It couldn’t possibly bother me. And this is to comeing for somebody who just shot their dog (Best friend I’ve ever had) 4 weeks ago… I don’t recommend you do that it’ll haunt you. You don’t want that to be the last memory of a loved one.

I think they put way too much thought into the death penalty. I’m not really sure about the whole humane thing.. Or if that should even be a consideration.

I think if they want to kill somebody kind of humane. All you do is stick a needle in your arm and let them bleed out. This lethal injection thing is stupid. It’s more for show.. We waste way too much money on this kind of thing

The cost effectiveness of a needle in the arm just letting you bleed out it’s probably the least painful method other than it might take a little while. Which is good let them think about their crimes.

Now if you f*** with children I think they should do disembowelment like Braveheart. After their tortured with in an inch of their life.. f*** it being humane

Many people die waiting for organs every day. Be a shame to waste viable organs. Anesthesia and then harvest away.

Recipients wouldn’t need to know who donor was.

Maybe, just maybe, a nugget of goodness could could could come out of a $hitty situation.

Many people die waiting for organs every day. Be a shame to waste viable organs. Anesthesia and then harvest away.

Recipients wouldn’t need to know who donor was.

Maybe, just maybe, a nugget of goodness could could could come out of a $hitty situation.
I don’t know if I can get on board with that. China does that to its political prisoners…

I think it should be a voluntary option for people on death row but at the same time they keep them there for 20 years…

If I was on death row I be concerned if you said you were organ donor… Might speed up your date of execution… Me personally I wouldn’t want to live in a cage or in chains at all… I consider firing squad a viable option..

I do think giving the condemned a last meal isn’t a unreasonable thing to do… I’m not heartless.

But once again with the kiddy didllers I’d be OK with just lock them in a room with only water and let them starve to death

I was gonna link this in First World Problems,
but that would have been wrong.

Charlie and Sarah, two disaffected teens dealing with depression, meet in an online chatroom and soon hatch a plan to bring meaning to their lives by encouraging other despondent individuals to help eradicate the "scum of society", such as pedophiles and rapists who have escaped justice. Anyone determined to commit suicide is urged to first kill someone who "got away with it" before taking their own life. Why not, they ask, "take one with you?"​
The idea goes viral and things rapidly spiral out of control. As they develop feelings for each other, their worldwide followers begin to enact a very different version of their idea, perverting its original intent and threatening the thin line between civil society and criminal anarchy. Just as they find the hope of happiness together, Charlie and Sarah must deal with the monster they've created, a global epidemic of murder-suicide that threatens the very core of their humanity.​
Take One With You is a unique crime thriller/millennial love story that poses the question: If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, would you kill someone tonight? Someone who had done something terrible. Someone who deserved to die. If so, who would it be? If you wouldn't go that far, what about your neighbor? Your friend? Your enemy? Who draws the line? Who decides who lives and who dies? And what if we all began to take justice into our own hands?​

[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom