What can I do in MA?

I want to build a nice AR.

two schools of thought here

1. ignore healys bullshit decree and buy a stripped lower from any number of FFLs here and build it to your liking, making sure it meets the AWB requirements

or

2. buy a preban lower and build it however you want

there is a 3rd school of thought... if you own a pair of crocs and sometimes say to your buddies "im not gay, buttttt" then maybe consider a tavor x95

There’s lowers and uppers for sale in the classifieds, both “pre-Healey” (BS) and otherwise. It’s possible, but you gots to pay.

80% lower...get but raped in the classifieds.... find someone to sell you one
This. If I was building an AR, I would do everything possible to not buy from the NES classifieds. The prices are full retard.

Edit to add: this is the only time you will hear me say to skip the NES classifieds.

Last edited:
Step 1. Buy Complete Upper
Step 2. Buy Stripped lower, LPK, and stock.
Step 3. Build your AR using a guide from the internet. I recommend Pew pew tactical, it’s very clear to follow. You will need to buy certain tools at a hardware store; some punches, clamps, a rubberhead hammer, etc.

If this is a spare AR you might want to keep your build cost around $1000. If this is your first and you want a high end AR you may end up closer to the $2000 neighborhood...which warrants the question of whether you would be better going for a preban complete rifle by stalking the NES classifieds section and waiting until someone posts their safe queen. I vote build, for the record, but totally your call.

ETA: Step 4. Make MA compliant.

If you are worried about Marsha's "ban" on post July 20, 2016 and you MUST have a lower with "papers" (dated receipt with serial number that shows it was in Mass before July 20, 2016) -

Look for pre Healey lowers with receipts or FA10's.

Or, if you don't care about what Healey said - buy a new lower any FFL that will sell you one.

I don't think there have been any convictions, yet.

Plan it and build it!
Parts may be difficult to come by these days! Make your list and shop around! Most online places have a "Notify me when back in stock" option which can be helpful.
My "wish list" at Brownells is full just waiting for items to be back in stock, same with Joebob's
Good luck!

I want to build a nice AR.
Then buy a new lower and built it.

^^these shops have complete uppers and stripped uppers also. Basically everything you need.

Easier to be said than done. At those prices on proper pre-bans - f#ck the AR. It is not worth it.
A good AR requires NH residence.

Not really. Once someone gets a lower, its pretty much up to them to build the gun right. Most of the, uh, "less good" ARs I see on here come more from a lack of understanding of what a good AR is. Like guys who put 5-25x56 scopes on a 16" carbine and their gun club has a rifle range of only 100 yards.

Back
Top Bottom