What blade do you carry?

Kershaw Leek. Awesome knives. F'n sharp. And I won't carry anything that doesn't have assisted opening.

Kershaw_Leek_Speed_Safe.jpg

+1... exact same model I carry. Easy for a knucklehead like myself to keep sharp, too...

Nice thing about the Leek is it is skinny. You don't notice its there when clipped in a pocket....

-Mike

Oh Nice! I must not have read your post correctly, I thought you had the newer FRN that came in the fancy new colors. I like that G-10. Is it like a sage green? Hard to tell from the photo.

They call it a "color match" green that is supposed to blend with the US Army digital camo colors. Whatever. It is more of a grey green and it does seem to blend in for pocket clip carry. The G-10 is a little heavier than the standard Spyderco plastic, which is durable anyway, but not quite as solid feeling. I'm shopping for a macro lens for better close up pictures of this type of stuff and will post them soon.

Chris

What knife do I carry? I have several but these six knives always keep coming out near the top.
None of these knives are cheap so they don't do alot of cutting, as they are seen as self defense tools and need to be kept sharp.

- In street clothes I mostly use a folding knife.
1) Every day it's a Benchmade (Bob Lum) Mini Dejavoo 3 1/4 inch blade as it just feels so right in my hand. $100
2) In a big city like Boston with strange knife laws it's a Spyderco Karambit, all stainless with a wicked sharp 2 inch curved hook blade. $200

- Special Type Knives
3) When I am out of this state, in uniform, or can not pack a gun, my auto knife is a real nasty front opening Microtec Ultratech with a 3.5 inch dual edged blade. Paid $150 at the Springfield gun show, but it's worth $375. All because the action was not opening smoothly, but it was NIB with the Microtec registration card. So I got it, took it home and sprayed some gun scrubber inside and it now works just fine.
4) I also am a fan of the thin fixed balde Masters of Defense (MOD) Ayoob Razorback knife 3 7/8 inch. $159

- In the woods or on duty I like a fixed blade knife.
5) On my IFAC (flack jacket) I cary a 1/4 inch thick 4 inch blade Strider DB-L NSN with Coyote Brown G10 handles. This is my battle knife and it is just like a prybar with a real sharp edge. under the MSRP of $300
6) Camping and hunting I keep a TOPS Tom Brown Tracker II - 5 1/2 inch with me (think the knife used in the movie The Hunted). It is carried in leather "scout" sheath. A $300 gift from my wife.

smitty

Last edited:
5) On my IFAC (flack jacket) I cary a 1/4 inch thick 4 inch blade Strider DB-L NSN with Coyote Brown G10 handles. This is my battle knife and it is just like a prybar with a real sharp edge. $300

[devil]

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Since you mentioned it was the NSN model, was that issued?

A $20 Victorinox Swiss Army, large blade, small blade, large screw driver w/bottle opener, small screw driver w/can opener, and of course toothpick and tweezers. It is by far the best, most useful knife I've EVER carried.

Last edited:
atmay - Nope the Strider wasn't an issue item to me, as I'm not some sec opps Ninja just a Heavy Equipment Chief.
I was looking for a knife to go on my duce gear, saw the knife and liked it alot. I 've got it in the Coyote Brown CSM nylon sheath mounted with the knife blade area behind my medical kit via a Coyote Brown K-Bar adapter. It eats up less room on the vest that way. I've also got the kydex sheath and the dull edge Strider DB-L trainer.
The DB-L NSN is one great knife. It's a little small but well made.
To everybody else, If your military Strider gives a great discount if you call and order directly from them.
smitty

atmay - Nope the Strider wasn't an issue item to me, as I'm not some sec opps Ninja just a Heavy Equipment Chief.
I was looking for a knife to go on my duce gear, saw the knife and liked it alot. I 've got it in the Coyote Brown CSM nylon sheath mounted with the knife blade area behind my medical kit via a Coyote Brown K-Bar adapter. It eats up less room on the vest that way. I've also got the kydex sheath and the dull edge Strider DB-L trainer.
The DB-L NSN is one great knife. It's a little small but well made.
To everybody else, If your military Strider gives a great discount if you call and order directly from them.
smitty

I carry an SMF every day, keep an SnG as backup, and usually have an SLCC on me. They're expensive, but I refuse to carry any other brand of knives.

I recently bought my first "real knife" based on alot of recommendations from here. Its a Benchmade Griptillian and I love it. Got it for $60 new.

This might be why:
http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies313.htm

There have been years of questions and debate on this in the knife world.

Oh, believe me, I know. I used to carry a CS folder, until I saw the "Truth about Strider" tidbit on the website. After reading it, I went and checked out Strider knives, eventually became somewhat acquainted with the boys at Strider (via the internet, have yet to meet them in person), and made my own decision about Mick and his crew.

You'll notice, I currently own, and exclusively EDC, 3 different Strider knives.

Oh, believe me, I know. I used to carry a CS folder, until I saw the "Truth about Strider" tidbit on the website. After reading it, I went and checked out Strider knives, eventually became somewhat acquainted with the boys at Strider (via the internet, have yet to meet them in person), and made my own decision about Mick and his crew.

You'll notice, I currently own, and exclusively EDC, 3 different Strider knives.

There are so many great knife makers around, I don't see the point of dealing with anyone that doesn't have a seller reputation. For me, I rather deal with someone local. For fixed blades I go with Mike Spangler. And for a custom folder, Hopefully my next purchase will be from RJ Martin, his DRT is unreal

What's up with Cold Steel? I don't own any, but one of my cousins swears by them. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but that's because he's the only one who ever even brings them up. He keeps trying to get me to buy one.

columbia river knife and took m16 i currently have a smaller version of what i had that was the m16 tanto zytel 3 1/2 inch i think mine has the spear point now and i dont like it as much.

the lock is the strongest i have ever seen and i have abused the old version that i lost a ton stabbing it into trees and stuff trying to get it to close and it wouldnet it also served well as my work knife doing irrigation getting covered in mud for a year before i accidently buried it in a hole somewhere.

What's up with Cold Steel? I don't own any, but one of my cousins swears by them. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but that's because he's the only one who ever even brings them up. He keeps trying to get me to buy one.

There are two distinct lines in cold steel from what I have seen, they make some great stuff but they cost a premium and they make junk, look up Cold Steel Kukri, they have one that is around $20 and another around $400 I'll let you figure out which one is which. IMHO they are over priced for what you get

Supermoto - I thought you didn't like Strider knives?
What the hell do you think Zero Tolerence knives are?
Kershaw working with Strider.

smitty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom