• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What’s one thing you wish you knew sooner?

So I’m new here, and generally new to firearms as well. I’ve been to the range a handful of times, completed my Mass Firearms Safety Course, and applied for my LTC. I’m currently waiting for a call from the PD to come pick it up.

What’s one piece of advice or tidbit of knowledge you wish you learned sooner? Help out us newbies learn from your experiences and grow into better gun owners!

I would have bought the first mark23 I saw

I remember one guy on here was liquidating his collection and he had P7M8s and maybe an M10 or M13 up, all maybe around $1400-1500. They sat for a little while. It seemed exorbitant at the time... Like the HK93 that somebody else wanted $2k for. Where are the $2k 93s now?!

So I’m new here, and generally new to firearms as well. I’ve been to the range a handful of times, completed my Mass Firearms Safety Course, and applied for my LTC. I’m currently waiting for a call from the PD to come pick it up.

What’s one piece of advice or tidbit of knowledge you wish you learned sooner? Help out us newbies learn from your experiences and grow into better gun owners!
Buy a bigger safe. Once you get your LTC, you won't own just one gun. 5-10 rifle safe with room for handguns to start.

New MA shooters are always raving about the service at Shooters Outpost!

Also, save your money and head to Round Robin in Wareham for the best 30 oz ribeye in town.

You're welcome.

don't f*ck crazy

but if you are looking for gun advice, I would say do not go cheap on your holsters. having a holster you are comfortable with, that fits you, fits the gun, that you are confident about its ability to retain the gun, one that gives 100% coverage of the trigger area, etc etc etc.

The holster is a big part of a self defense plan.

(as are good belts)

don't f*ck crazy

but if you are looking for gun advice, I would say do not go cheap on your holsters. having a holster you are comfortable with, that fits you, fits the gun, that you are confident about its ability to retain the gun, one that gives 100% coverage of the trigger area, etc etc etc.

The holster is a big part of a self defense plan.

(as are good belts)

+1. I learned the belt lesson a long time ago but just got my first big boy leather holster this week, after far too long. Kydex is practical and nice, and cheap, and I've had decent leather holsters in the past, but this latest one that I got is night and day better.

second bit of advice, if you are ever in the position of having to talk to a cop after using your gun, SHUT UP and LAWYER UP

"Sir, at this time I choose not to answer any questions until I can consult my Attorney and can have him (her) here. I will co-operate but only with my Attorney present"

(there are some great layers on this forum, and some not on the forum but competent firearms attorneys, get their numbers and keep them in your phone

Buy all the Glocks you can.

If she says don’t worry about it, double bag.

Grab a 40.

In all seriousness, research the gun you want and don’t buy off a whim. Join a decent club and ask if you can shoot a few members guns, there will be a few members that will help you out.
We all have been there so we try to help each other other out.
Mention your location and I’m sure PM’s will follow.

Too much to list. However, better judgement prevails, and I think it best not to divulge.
When it come down to it though, @Woodstone said it well, 'No Regerts' LOL.

Whenever they interview centennials and ask them what they wish they did differently in their life, it is always the things they DIDN'T do that they talk of - not the things they did...

For me it would definitely be cheap rifles. Back when i started i wasn't knowledgeable at all. In fact most of my learning came from this very forum. When i started i had zero experience with guns. So at the start i wasn't really into any of the guns i am into now. I would have definitely bought way more rifles at the start instead of handguns. Saiga rifles were $500, mosins were $75, sks $250, Cmp M1's were $550, m1 carbines were $600-700, mak 90's were $500, Wasr10 were $399.....ahhhh it hurts even typing this. I would have done it all different that is for sure.

Back
Top Bottom