What’s one thing you wish you knew sooner?

Your car is not a holster.

Good quality training is the one thing that makes all your guns better. You probably can't shoot as well as you think you can.

A Glock 19, a 10/22, a good quality 5.56 AR-15, a .308 bolt action rifle, and a 12 ga mossberg 500 are really the only guns anyone needs, but buy the biggest safe you can find anyway and leave enough room for another one next to it.

Admitting to owning a .40 S&W will make everyone on here question your sexuality.

Someone with training can shoot any gun well. Don't modify your guns other than sights/optics. Use the money you'd waste on bullshit mods for ammo and training.

If your new handgun shoots low and to the left don't adjust the sights, just get training.

Buy a Glock 19, shoot/carry only that for a year, take a couple classes, become proficient then go buy that new micro 9mm or .38 snubby and learn how not to shoot your fingers off with it.

Last edited:
Know this exists and seek knowledge.

What’s one piece of advice or tidbit of knowledge you wish you learned sooner?
I had to think pretty hard about this. I'm afraid my answers might be a little too specific.

Save your brass, even though you're not reloading yet. OK, that's fairly general. But don't save your Herter's 44 magnum brass. It sucks, and you can't fix it with primer pocket reamers and swagers. Just give it up and throw that crap away. Better yet, don't buy Herters 44 magnum ammo. The 357 magnum cases are only a little better. Don't bother with those, either. Oh, and don't shoot Herter's Nylon-coated 45 ACP bullets in a revolver unless you really like melted plastic in the cylinder throats.

Night vision and silencers are cool. Don't rely on local gun stores for anything. Either join a niche gun club that appeals to you or shoot on land that isn't a club. Everyone has subjective biases and most people will never push their guns to the guns' full potential. Path dependency is everywhere. And finally, prioritize quality over low prices.

So I’m new here, and generally new to firearms as well. I’ve been to the range a handful of times, completed my Mass Firearms Safety Course, and applied for my LTC. I’m currently waiting for a call from the PD to come pick it up.

What’s one piece of advice or tidbit of knowledge you wish you learned sooner? Help out us newbies learn from your experiences and grow into better gun owners!
Reloading

I learned a valuable lesson after I got my LTC by complete accident. After I took my safety course, I got a free gun rental coupon. Thankfully I used it before I bought my first handgun. After just a single magazine, I realized that my first choice of ccw gun (I was basing everything off online reviews at the time) felt horrible in my hand, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it! If I blindly bought it, I would have been stuck with a gun I hated shooting.

Second: My first ffl trip wasn't to Littleton! After seeing what kind of treasures are in that mill building, I'm still kicking myself for waiting so many years to take a trip down there! Go to MAGA Arms. Sharif is a great guy!☺

Buy a bigger safe. Once you get your LTC, you won't own just one gun. 5-10 rifle safe with room for handguns to start.
This is good advise.

I prefer several small safes. Makes them easier to move and, in my opinion, easier to organize.

Buy ammo when it's cheap and plentiful. Your coming in a a shitty time. When ammo comes back to normal buy it.....only shoot half of what you buy....stockpile the rest. You need a good Blackstock to get through the tough times. And Backstock means if you know how many rounds or boxes you have it's not enough.

Back
Top Bottom