What’s one thing you wish you knew sooner?

Two things I wish I knew ahead of time as a newbie:

You don't have to start off with a micro or subcompact, despite the entire industry saying they make perfect EDC guns. Larger guns are generally nicer to shoot and can be relatively more accurate due to more weight and mass to grip. I actually think it would have been better for me to learn the fundamentals on a larger gun as apposed to a snappy micro gun, then later make the transition to a smaller gun if I wanted one. I've also found that I can EDC a G19 or other compact with all but the lightest summer clothing, and I'm short and skinny.

Preban Glock mags are not really worth chasing anymore in MA. The majority seem to be U notch that are just simply crap compared to modern mag designs. They're expensive. They're most likely old as sh*t and fall apart, and some of the oldest examples aren't even in spec to modern G19 grip length. And if you find some squares, be prepared to take a second on your mortgage to buy them. Squares were questionable years ago at around $80., but they're often listed for $200 today, and that's just nuts. Just carry a second 10rd mag if you want insurance.

Last I will add for now ...

Guns are NOT ILLEGAL to own in MA just because they are not on the magical list.

The list does not make guns legal or illegal to own. If any LEO, gun store employee, friend or NES member says otherwise, they are WRONG.

Buy all the Glocks you can.

If she says don’t worry about it, double bag.

Grab a 40.

In all seriousness, research the gun you want and don’t buy off a whim. Join a decent club and ask if you can shoot a few members guns, there will be a few members that will help you out.
We all have been there so we try to help each other other out.
Mention your location and I’m sure PM’s will follow.
Oh, and GO GREEN!!!!!

screw the copay, get that rash checked out
Furthermore, bite the bullet and wear surgical gloves
when using cleaning/lubricating chemicals.
[angry]

I prefer several small safes. Makes them easier to move ...
82107385c7651236492bb3c39a4bd118--cat.jpg

Furthermore, bite the bullet and wear surgical gloves
when using cleaning/lubricating chemicals.
[angry]

82107385c7651236492bb3c39a4bd118--cat.jpg
Meh. Bolt them.

99% of safes people buy are pure sh*t anyway. You can cut through them in a few minutes. So, if the safe weights 800lbs or 200lbs, it won't make a big difference and if they are bolted, you won't be able to lift them. The difference will be on the pain in the a** it will be to move and the fewer locations in the home you can put the safe in.

A safe will never stop someone that is prepared when they break in, but they will stop some random crackhead thst decided your house looks like a nice target.

So I’m new here, and generally new to firearms as well. I’ve been to the range a handful of times, completed my Mass Firearms Safety Course, and applied for my LTC. I’m currently waiting for a call from the PD to come pick it up.

What’s one piece of advice or tidbit of knowledge you wish you learned sooner? Help out us newbies learn from your experiences and grow into better gun owners!
Well let's be honest, you aren't new new, maybe you are new to posting but you are coming up on 4 years. I can understand not posting because a lot of greenies is meanies.

CVS end-cap cheaters and magnifying visors have saved me so far.
(I don't use spray chemicals,
and I don't look into spring with remaining eye).
I'll likely graduate to a desk magnifier anyhow.
i have taken off my safety glasses and seen all sorts of chemical stains and bits of metal embedded in them, sometimes the glass has pits etched in it! Could have been my cornea

I've met some incredibly nice folks here on NES. A number have become great friends. Many have become regular shooting buddies.

NES is more than a gun forum for me. It's got folks from all walks of life. Guns are what brings us together. But with some minor exceptions this forum is filled with some great people.

Thanks you @Admin for creating this wonderful place.

Well let's be honest, you aren't new new, maybe you are new to posting but you are coming up on 4 years. I can understand not posting because a lot of greenies is meanies.
Fair Enough… I “joined” here, maybe looked at 2 or 3 pages, then didn’t come back to really browse until recently as my interest picked back up in getting my LTC and shooting in general.

If you get into the internals of any gun, buy spare parts. Best example I can give is those little detent pins and springs when assembling an AR lower. When they take flight, they're really hard to find. So if you need one, buy at least two and preferably five. They don't go bad and it sucks waiting in the middle of a build for parts to come in.

Shoot guns before you buy them if at all possible. I've had a couple that simply didn't feel good in my hands.

Buy decent guns/gear but realize that the major factor in how well you shoot is you. I've seen guys throwing money at gear when the problem is that their fundamentals suck.

If you want to get better, practice. If your only shooting sessions are the two local matches you shoot a month, you're not going to get any better. You might pick up some things from other shooters; (the day I saw Lorenzo run out of the zigzag shooting area and head directly for the end in a USPSA match was a lightbulb moment); but the only way you improve your shooting is by practicing - and sometimes you need a coach to help you.

Fair Enough… I “joined” here, maybe looked at 2 or 3 pages, then didn’t come back to really browse until recently as my interest picked back up in getting my LTC and shooting in general.
Enjoy, you can learn a lot of things here and not just about firearms, it seems we have at least one member that is an expert in any given field.

Don’t pay attention to the green army here. I joined here in 2014 looking for a guitar, not guns.

Don't buy a Flobert parlor rifle or sink unless you plan on, banging the guys wife while smoking a Newport after whic you leave an upper decker and throw the keys to his Ferarri on the roof.

OMG this, about 1000%, and I wish they looked like the girls in HS now too lol
These days if you sealed the deal as it were with a girl who has had one sip of alcohol you most likely will be charged with rape. I didn't go to college but went to plenty of parties at local colleges and I can't see how kids can have parties like they did in the early 80s.

One thing? There are a LOT of inside jokes here on the site. Most of which have been tottered out for this thread. (see Jaymce above for examples)

Truthfully, find a club and some shooters that share your interests and soak up as much knowledge from them as you can. I lucked out by working at the same company as Rob Boudrie who introduced me to the Hopkinton club. There I learned of USPSA/IPSC shooting and have been hooked ever since. I learned some good practices and tips to improve my skills.

Learn proper fundamentals and they will serve you well. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom