We Must Demilitarize the Police

IvIax

Banned
281A4D8100000578-3059073-image-a-98_1430231819415.jpg

What's your take?

ferguson-police-2.jpg

Last edited:
I would just like to have FREE access to all that gear through my government as a citizen.
The big question is which side will the police be on if our government is proven to be tyrannical?

The 1033 program should have been available to all US citizens of voting age. Not just the guns and ammo but all the gear, medical, sleeping bags ectect.

5 billion worth of stuff has been given out. from fax machines to grenade launchers

Last edited:

intricately designed to not offend any subset of its audience. It's as impotent as Milius' original was ballsy, and despite a brief running time and passable action, it ends up a frustratingly pointless experience.

honestly, red dawn is an awful movie.

dude, end thyself! Ok, the haircuts are a bit 80s, I'll give you that.

- - - Updated - - -

intricately designed to not offend any subset of its audience. It's as impotent as Milius' original was ballsy, and despite a brief running time and passable action, it ends up a frustratingly pointless experience.

you talking about the new movie? I saw it but honestly can't remember a damn thing from it.

Theoretically, I'm OK with the police being as armed as civilians are, and I'm OK with civilians being as armed as the military. However, I think by and large most civilians aren't interested in being armed to the teeth 24/7 (even most soldiers have historically been unhappy carrying weapons around all the time just due to weight). Given that this is the case, I think that cops should be armed to the extent that the average armed civilian is - so just run of the mill hand guns. The tactical stuff is over the top and almost always unnecessary.

Anyone remember those college psych experiments where they give half the class badges and authority, and the class turns into a prison camp?

You give cops all this military equipment, they’re gonna start behaving like SS, it’s human nature.

Disband police altogether. We can take care of ourselves without some meathead with a badge shouting orders, hiding behind a gun and a badge.

They've effectively, and regularly, prove to NOT be on our side, that they're mostly mistrusted and generally a despised class of humans. Don't care if you don't like to hear that. Your "brothers" who kill, maim, beat, are a$$holes because they can, have ruined it for you. You've refused to step up to the plate and publically denounce the scum within your organization. Therefore, your organization can burn to the ground AFAIC. And I know damn well, I'm not alone in that sentiment.

I'll bite.
This is the one spot where I take my tin foil hat off. I think "fight fire with fire". Fawk the rioters, the police need this gear. Granted I'm sure there are a lot of cops out there that are angry roid heads, but all the ones I know are regular 'mericans like you and me.
I said it a few times in my life: Funny thing happened when I stopped speeding all the time.........I stopped getting pulled over by the police. Ah but wtf do I know, I'm an over-privileged white male.

i'm ok with them having armored vehicles because one day we the people might need to go over to the yard a borrow it.[smile]

I'll bite.
This is the one spot where I take my tin foil hat off. I think "fight fire with fire". Fawk the rioters, the police need this gear.
Nope. To deal with rioters police need riot gear, something they had prior to playing army. Letting the police play army reinforces the false notion they are not civilians. The former mayor of NYC even claimed the NYPD _was_ an army. Not good. Authoritarians need to be disabused of this notion.

I'll bite.
This is the one spot where I take my tin foil hat off. I think "fight fire with fire". Fawk the rioters, the police need this gear. Granted I'm sure there are a lot of cops out there that are angry roid heads, but all the ones I know are regular 'mericans like you and me.
I said it a few times in my life: Funny thing happened when I stopped speeding all the time.........I stopped getting pulled over by the police. Ah but wtf do I know, I'm an over-privileged white male.

And when people stop speeding and public revenue decreases they can set up road blocks with their new MRAP's and stop you and demand you step out of your vehicle, search your car, see your ID, and ask where you are going after 9pm and I'm sure you wouldn't mind if they frisked your kids since you or them have nothing to hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-pros-and-cons-of-militarizing-the-police,36717/

The Pros And Cons Of Militarizing The Police

PROS

Same tactics used successfully in Afghanistan, Iraq

Modern law enforcement simply cannot do their job properly by relying on handguns, tasers, and tear gas alone

A real shot in arm for nation’s ailing weapons industry

Look on driver’s face when tank pulls up beside Mini Cooper always fun

Local photojournalists now able to capture fog of war at home

Nice surprise treat for veterans to see weapons they used in war pop up on their hometown streets

Never a bad idea to put a more powerful gun in someone’s hand

Actually going to seem pretty quaint when compared with police armaments 20 years from now

CONS

Most police officers have proven fully capable of violently subduing protesters without any military-grade weapons

It actually very hard to recite Miranda rights while holding 40-pound grenade launcher

There no longer any middle ground between community watch and military

Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles only get 5 miles per gallon

Military-style helmets limit peripheral vision while firing indiscriminately into crowd

Could potentially be abused if put in lesser hands than America’s historically honest and virtuous police departments

Takes away that personal touch of beating a suspect to death with bare hands

Military equipment is useless if you're not using military tactics.

Look at the picture below of the officer with his arm sticking out of a weapons port......using pepper spray. Ridiculous. If anyone in that crowd was actually trying to kill the police in that vehicle they'd be sitting ducks.

In the face of any form of opposition that really wants to do them harm, military vehicles are nothing but death traps for the police. And in the face of disorganized rock and bottle throwing rioters they're much better off standing on their own two feet with appropriate protective gear.

28127F5C00000578-3057819-Baltimore_police_officer_sprays_pepper_spry_to_demonstrators_in_-a-96_1430166450328.jpg

Last edited:
i'm ok with them having armored vehicles because one day we the people might need to go over to the yard a borrow it.[smile]

This is backwards. In a Free Society, civilians get together when the need to act as Police arises and BORROW private property as appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom