We Lost Another Wonderful Man - RIP Col!

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
This announcement has me very bummed out. Lt. Col Walter Landry, Jr. is one of the nicest gentleman that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and I've been privileged to know him and his Wife for >30 years. He started his Army career in the Cavalry on horseback and ended his Army career in helicopters!

RIP Col! [halfmast]

Obituary of Walter J. Landry Jr.
Born October 26, 1919.
Died October 26, 2013

Col Walter Landry.jpg

Lieutenant Colonel Walter J. Landry Jr., U.S. Army Retired, of Westwood, MA, passed away quietly in his sleep after a brief but serious bout with cancer on October 26, 2013, his 94[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday. Walter was born in Boston, MA in 1919 and graduated from Dorchester High School in 1937.

He enlisted in the Army before the start of World War II and was commissioned as a Cavalry Second Lieutenant in late 1941. He served throughout the war with the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Cavalry Division in the Pacific Theater and successively served as a Platoon Leader, Troop Commander and Squadron Commander. His led these units through the liberation of the Japanese prisoner of war camp at Santo Thomas University and the occupation of Japan. He then served in Germany with U.S. Constabulary, Fort Knox as commander of the 509[SUP]th[/SUP] Tank Battalion, Advisor duty in South Viet Nam, and completed military service as an advisor to the New Jersey National Guard in 1961. His decorations include the Silver Star, Bronze Star Medal for Valor with 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Oak Leaf Cluster, Purple Heart with 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Oak Leaf Cluster, and Army Commendation Medal, and he was awarded the Combat Infantryman’s Badge.

He was married to the late Ruth G. Lyons in 1948 and they raised four children in Westwood, where after his Army retirement, he worked in various industrial security positions in the Boston area. He stayed involved in community activities as a Scoutmaster, occasional Grand Marshall of the Westwood Memorial Day parade, and 10 years of service to Meals on Wheels.

He retired from Gillette in 1986 and kept active in muzzle loading and small bore competitive shooting activities at both the Sharon and Westwood Gun Clubs, where he often served as President or in other offices.

He was appointed a Fellow of the Company of Military Historians based on his lifelong interest and expertise in U.S. military history.

He is survived by his wife Barbara Landry (Burton) of Westwood; his twin sister Betty Mahoney of Hingham; his children Robert Landry (Aleida), Cynthia Stewart (Thomas), Patricia LaChance and Richard Landry (Courtney), his grandchildren Cheryl, Jenna, Brian, Christina and Michael; and great grandchildren Madeleine and Landen. A memorial gathering will be held at date and location to be determined.

I often ran into Colonel Landry at Westwood Gun Club. There was never mistaking that deep command voice of his.

He was a very, very nice man who had lots of fascinating stories to tell, all with a smile on his face. One day NES member Patron and I were chatting with him. He had an old revolver with him with the names of military campaigns engraved on the cylinder, campaigns he personally was involved in. Patron asked him if the gun had seen any action, and without missing a beat Walter said "Killed four men that I know of with it". He followed on that he likely killed more but those were the only ones he saw and verified.

When you realize he rode horses in the US Cavalry you realize what a historical treasure he was. I'd listen to him all day if I'd had the chance. There was no embellishment of stories, no ego involved, just the facts. And what amazing facts they were.

One day Walter came by and saw my son and I shooting a Barrett .50 BMG. In that booming voice he said, "I have some of that at home I'd like to give you". About a week later he carries over an old cardboard box with 40-50 rounds of .50 BMG still on a belt. He was concerned that we had the right tools to take it apart and shoot it. He thought it was leftover from his time in Southeast Asia.

But I would never take that ammo apart. It's a piece of history and a fond remembrance of Walther. It will hang over my reloading bench as a memorial of Walter.

Best

Rich

I often ran into Colonel Landry at Westwood Gun Club. There was never mistaking that deep command voice of his.

He was a very, very nice man who had lots of fascinating stories to tell, all with a smile on his face. One day NES member Patron and I were chatting with him. He had an old revolver with him with the names of military campaigns engraved on the cylinder, campaigns he personally was involved in. Patron asked him if the gun had seen any action, and without missing a beat Walter said "Killed four men that I know of with it". He followed on that he likely killed more but those were the only ones he saw and verified.

When you realize he rode horses in the US Cavalry you realize what a historical treasure he was. I'd listen to him all day if I'd had the chance. There was no embellishment of stories, no ego involved, just the facts. And what amazing facts they were.

One day Walter came by and saw my son and I shooting a Barrett .50 BMG. In that booming voice he said, "I have some of that at home I'd like to give you". About a week later he carries over an old cardboard box with 40-50 rounds of .50 BMG still on a belt. He was concerned that we had the right tools to take it apart and shoot it. He thought it was leftover from his time in Southeast Asia.

But I would never take that ammo apart. It's a piece of history and a fond remembrance of Walther. It will hang over my reloading bench as a memorial of Walter.

Best

Rich

Yes, this was Walter to a T!

Rich, if you hear when and where his service will be, please send me an Email or PM?

Gents, I am Walters son. Thanks so much for those kind words. I was with him when he passed. It was profound and peaceful. As per his wishes there will be no services. "He hated anyone to fuss over him." We will respect his wishes, but toast to his memory an event in the future. I will contact the WGC about this....

That was a good obituary.......and those of you that knew him are richer for it.

Those of us that have known Heroes, are always saddened more by their loss.

Thanks for introducing him to us.

And I will raise a glass in his honor.

Gents, I am Walters son. Thanks so much for those kind words. I was with him when he passed. It was profound and peaceful. As per his wishes there will be no services. "He hated anyone to fuss over him." We will respect his wishes, but toast to his memory an event in the future. I will contact the WGC about this....

I am truly sorry for the loss of your father, but can only imagine the great pride that you must have for him. He truly sounds like a great man who was all that much greater for the lives he touched and his humbleness. My thought and prayers go out to you and your family.

Len and Rich, I am sorry for the loss of your friend, and it sounds like he was a great friend.

sorry for the loss of your dad, I did not know him but to me he is a hero for his serivce,,,may he RIP

Some years ago we dedicated the rifle range at the Westwood gun club to Walter. The plaque simply states.
Walter J Landry Jr.
Rifle Range
AMERICAN

It is a small world.

I knew Walter when he worked @ Gillette. He was a real squared away security guard with a ton of class. Everyone liked him; he never, ever had any part of his uniform out of place. It was obvious he was a product of the US Military.

After reading his obituary, I can say that I am proud to have known him. (I wished I knew his love for our shared hobby).

Rest in Peace, Walter.

Rich

I had the privilege of meeting Walter at the Westwood Gun Club one afternoon. I believe I had brought a Garand
that I had just got from the CMP, and we started chatting, and he told explained some of how they were used based on his experience in the field directing fire from the troops under his command. He was a real gentleman.

That is the only time I have heard firsthand about WW II combat from someone who was there. It was a privilege to have met him.

Back
Top Bottom