Wayland Home Invasion

Take a look at the crime stats for Wayland and the adjacent towns, Sudbury, Lincoln, Weston, Wellesley and Needham. There is basically no violent crime. There are people in these towns - I know a couple - who leave their houses unlocked all day whether they're home or not. My wife often leaves her car keys in her unlocked car in the driveway overnight. Sometimes she leaves the front door unlocked all night after letting the dog out.

At home I keep a sharp skinning knife with a rubber grip with deep finger slots handy for self defense but I don't expect to ever have to use it. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

I also know people that never lock their doors, and leave their car keys on the seat. In Worcester! Never had a break in or lost a car. Not once in 40 years. Go figure.

So in the summer with nice weather you close and lock all of your doors and windows when you are home? Seriously?

As for using a replica, do you really think a drugged out degenerate breaking in is going to identify that and even hesitate? You seem to assume a certain level of rational thought that I don't think is going to be present.

Windows locked up while home on a nice day? Depends, but sometimes no. Doors? If the front door is open, I at least have the screen door locked. When no one is home, everything is locked up.

I used to carry at home all the time, but gave it up since having kids. I'm just too paranoid that something will happen.

I do always (even when sleeping) have a nice folder with a tight pocket clip in my pocket. It's enough to hold someone off until my wife gets the safe open.

As to locking the doors? Yes always when I am home except during the nice weather when the door stays open. I'm just not that worried about it in my neighborhood.

I used to carry at home all the time, but gave it up since having kids. I'm just too paranoid that something will happen.

I do always (even when sleeping) have a nice folder with a tight pocket clip in my pocket. It's enough to hold someone off until my wife gets the safe open.

As to locking the doors? Yes always when I am home except during the nice weather when the door stays open. I'm just not that worried about it in my neighborhood.

When I have the screen door open it is locked. It may not keep an intruder out but them forcing their way through will alert me to the fact that something is going on.

This makes no sense to me, then again I've never had to really deal with kids of snotgobbler age, only kids that were 9+.

If anything whenever I had "responsibility" of my exes kids I always had a gun on me. ALWAYS. The only exception was when we went places I couldn't legally bring a gun (like a school auditorium, etc).

-Mike

I live in Wayland. When we leave, all windows and doors are locked. Before we go to sleep at night, all windows and doors are locked. We do have locks on the windows that allow us to leave them open a few inches.

In the summer, while we are awake, the front door is always locked. We will usually have windows open. If the garage door is open, the kitchen door is locked. We will sometimes leave a door unlocked -- if one of us is out on the deck, or we are going in and out.

The car doors are always locked.

Yes, Wayland is a very safe neighborhood. Cheshire, CT is a similarly leafy, high-end suburb. And yet bad things can happen in good neighborhoods: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

I do have a handgun in a quick access safe and I'm often carrying at home.

Even in quiet Wayland, locking doors and windows is a reasonable precaution. The whole "I don't want to live that way..." is a typical liberal bushwa. What saves most people is simply the odds -- the odds of being safe in Wayland are high.

Of course, if the goblin happens to choose your house and your doors are unlocked while your guns are locked up, well, use the force, Luke. [laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Get a decent retention holster then. Safariland makes good ones.

I carry everywhere legal including my house. Mentioned early that I wouldn't run to my safe and that's because it's on me until I get in bed and then it's right next to me. Doors are locked at all times. Not only to keep people out but to keep my little mongerals in, my daughter just started with the doors so throwing the dead bolt is another hurdle in case she's trying to make a break for it.

My my dog also gives me plenty of notice if anything is near the doors or windows.

And as far as safe towns are concerned I live in a generally safe sleepy town but that didn't stop Dan Laplante in '87

Why would you have to run to the safe to get a weapon. If you have an LTC carry your gun. My gun is on my hip at all times and my spare mag in my pocket except when sleeping and then it is within arms reach.
If someone came through my front door, they are getting ventilated, I will worry about the consequences later. He will be armed one way or another by the time the police show up.
I will not compromise family safety for what might happen after the fact.

I live in Wayland. When we leave, all windows and doors are locked. Before we go to sleep at night, all windows and doors are locked. We do have locks on the windows that allow us to leave them open a few inches.

In the summer, while we are awake, the front door is always locked. We will usually have windows open. If the garage door is open, the kitchen door is locked. We will sometimes leave a door unlocked -- if one of us is out on the deck, or we are going in and out.

The car doors are always locked.

Yes, Wayland is a very safe neighborhood. Cheshire, CT is a similarly leafy, high-end suburb. And yet bad things can happen in good neighborhoods: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

I do have a handgun in a quick access safe and I'm often carrying at home.

Even in quiet Wayland, locking doors and windows is a reasonable precaution. The whole "I don't want to live that way..." is a typical liberal bushwa. What saves most people is simply the odds -- the odds of being safe in Wayland are high.

Of course, if the goblin happens to choose your house and your doors are unlocked while your guns are locked up, well, use the force, Luke. [laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Get a decent retention holster then. Safariland makes good ones.

Yeah I need something more secure. I either pocket carry which is too uncomfortable when playing with the kids or I use a cross breed IWB which doesn't have a comfortable level of retention. It's probably fine, but like I said, I'm paranoid about it falling out.

The area I live in is Mayberry and I know all my neighbors (who are almost always home) so I don't really worry about it.

I never leave the house without my roscoe however

I grew up in Wayland. I lived there from 1955 to 1980. Never in all those years did we ever lock the door. My mother lived there until she passed in 2007, even up to as recently as that, the door was never locked.

Although in this day and age, I think it is prudent to lock your doors no matter where you live.

I good dog or two are always the best first responders, they will buy you a few seconds even if the intruder is armed. If someone entered my house and hurt my dogs in the process, my wife would definitally kill them and they would feel it. We both carry so it wouldn't be a good day for an intruder to enter my house. I don't have any kids, but I'm sure it's difficult for everyone that does to have a firearm readily accessible. I highly recommend anyone who doesn't have a dog to adopt a pitbull or two. From our experiences, they will love you for ever and keep you safe at all costs.

That photo with the "That door you just kicked in was for your protection.." is essentially all the defense you should need.

Kick in a door, eat a bullet.

Locked up guns and unlocked doors -- not a great combination. Even a locked screen door takes a little time and noise to enter. My dog would notice, I'm sure. It's all about time. A few more seconds to enter, a few seconds to react to a German Shepherd, a gun handy -- any of it can separate life and death.

I live in one of those "no crime" metro-west towns -- a good call to lower risk. But why stop there?

its always easier to claim self defence if the intruder has to break in rather than walk in. for this reason alone its a good idea to lock your door.

As this thread shows, dogs are awesome. Early warning, deterrent, buy you time etc.

If a team of guys shows up in the middle of the day with rifles, many of us are probably screwed. An unarmed drug addict, on the other hand, is going to learn a life lesson the hard way.

I've been appendix carrying as my outside EDC carry method and also works great when just hanging around the house. Easy on and off with great retention as long there is a belt or draw string involved. Works great with gym shorts and Under Armour sweats when I am just lounging around. Even while living in Newton of all places, it's always on me.

Last edited:
If a "shod foot" is considered a deadly weapon, anybody wearing anything more than flip flops that enters my home uninvited is armed and dangerous and a deadly threat and will (hypothetically) be dealt with as such.

Why ANYBODY that owns a gun locks it up when they get home is beyond me. Cutting the lawn? Armed. Getting the mail? Armed. Sitting on the deck? Armed. Watching tv? Armed. Etc, etc, etc... Put a trigger lock on it while sleeping? Sure.

Comeon. Lets get real.

Even in MA, someone doing B&E into an occupied house is considered to represent a threat of grave bodily harm.

I'd invite anyone to try to find a single example of a good clean defensive shooting inside a home in MA where the homeowner was prosecuted.
I'm new to this state, maybe I'm naive. But lets see one.

By clean, I mean the dead or injured guy forced his way into the home and the victims stopped shooting when the bad guy either turned to run or was incapacitated.

Don

While a dog is a great addition to security, that just isn't happening for a number of us. My wife and I just can't commit to the amount of time needed to properly care for a dog. Long days, long commutes, and frequent evening meetings all add up to no dog.

The way I taught and the way I was taught, If they are in the house knowing your there, they are not there to steal.
Assume they are there to harm you and act accordingly

The way I taught and the way I was taught, If they are in the house knowing your there, they are not there to steal.
Assume they are there to harm you and act accordingly

Good assumption.

I am amazed at how many people lock their doors when they are either inside or in their yards. While away, sure. At home?

I grew up in a tiny town in southern NH with 100x more trees than people. Locking doors just wasn't at the top of the list when everybody could hear us shooting bottle & cans against the woodpile in the side yard.

There has been no reason for me to reconsider that position until now since Wayland is a very sleepy progressive community. I mean, progressives never get angry and do violent things right?

Good assumption.

I am amazed at how many people lock their doors when they are either inside or in their yards. While away, sure. At home?

I grew up in a tiny town in southern NH with 100x more trees than people. Locking doors just wasn't at the top of the list when everybody could hear us shooting bottle & cans against the woodpile in the side yard.

There has been no reason for me to reconsider that position until now since Wayland is a very sleepy progressive community. I mean, progressives never get angry and do violent things right?

One things folks fail to take into consideration is scumbags are mobile.
Sleepy little towns with houses spread out are much better targets than one where the neighbors are going to hear you screaming ten feet away.

Well that makes sense. After all, nothing bad ever happens is small towns in NH.

The Mont Vernon Murder was a thrill killing that attracted national and international attention due to the brutality of the killers' crimes, the apparent lack of remorse of the murder's mastermind Steven Spader, and the ages of the thrill killers when they committed murder.

On October 4, 2009, 17-year-old Spader and Christopher Gribble murdered Kimberly Cates and severely maimed her 10-year-old daughter Jamie during a home invasion in Mont Vernon, New Hampshire. Both victims were assaulted with a machete. Spader admitted to hacking Kimberley Cates to death with 36 blows to the head and torso.

The Dartmouth College murders were the double homicide of Dartmouth College professors Half Zantop (born April 24, 1938) and his wife Susanne Zantop (née Korsukewitz, born August 12, 1945), who were killed at their home in Etna, New Hampshire (a village near the town of Hanover), on January 27, 2001. Originally from Germany, each of them had been teaching at the Ivy League college since the 1970s. High school classmates James J. Parker, age 16, and 17-year-old Robert W. Tulloch were charged with their murders after investigators traced the sheaths of two SEAL 2000 knives found at the crime scene to Parker

In fact, a murder happened recently in little old Wayland: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/m...end-wayland/nos9cTCbqZLaJ1ls0p8WuK/story.html

Locked doors give you time. In fact, they gave enough time for Mr. Patti to discourage the murders of the Zantops enough that they went elsewhere:

Andrew Patti, a resident of Vershire, Vermont (a town a few miles east of Chelsea, Vermont), says that Tulloch and Parker attempted to murder him and his family in the summer of 2000. Patti's tale appeared in the 2003 book Judgment Ridge: The True Story Behind the Dartmouth Murders by Mitchell Zuckoff, and in 2004 Patti shared his story in more detail with Massad Ayoob of American Handgunner magazine.

Patti states that on July 17, 2000, Tulloch and Parker went to Patti's remote house, armed with hunting knives, intending to murder the inhabitants and to steal their belongings. Near the house, they dug makeshift graves for their intended victims. Then late at night, Tulloch knocked on the door while Parker waited off to the side in the bushes intending to ambush the homeowner when he opened it.

Inside, the 47-year-old Patti, at home with his 11-year-old son, was alerted to the teens' presence by the sounds of his dog barking. Suspicious of the knock on his door at such a late hour, he answered the knock by going to the door and pulling back the window blinds without opening it. Behind his back he held a Glock pistol at the ready.

Claiming to be a stranded motorist, Tulloch asked to enter the house, but Patti refused. After receiving several more requests for entry, Patti became concerned enough to hold up his Glock where Tulloch could see it. Then Patti closed the blinds on the door and went back to call the police. When he got to the phone, he discovered that the line was dead. But when he returned to the door, Tulloch and Parker had left the house. They did not return.

Tulloch and Parker did not attempt to strike again for another six months. During that time they purchased SOG SEAL 2000 knives over the Internet.

When we moved to Arlington from rural CT 3 years ago, I was a little freaked out. I had a dog, plenty of defensive guns, and reasonable defensive skills. I did my research and could not beleive the number of problems in Arlington that seem to originate from people who reside just a couple of miles away in the Rindge area of Cambridge.

So an alarm was next on the list.

I do now lock my doors. I am friends with an Arlington cop who tells me that there are still old timers who leave their doors open and that they are pretty much the only ones who get burglarized. He said that most problems don't occur in houses with dogs and alarms.

In fact he advocates that even if you don't have a dog, you leave a dog bowl with water outside where a burglar could see it.

Not too long ago in Arlington, a woman hear a commotion on her porch. She opened the door to tell the guy to leave. He laughed at her and advanced on her. She backed up into the house, raised her gun, and told him to leave. The guy kept coming. She shot him once in the neck. At that point, he decided to leave. The perp survived and was charged.

After six months of legal wrangling, the homeowner wasn't charged. She and her wife were continually harassed by the man's relatives and eventually moved out of MA.

Well that makes sense. After all, nothing bad ever happens is small towns in NH.

In fact, a murder happened recently in little old Wayland: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/m...end-wayland/nos9cTCbqZLaJ1ls0p8WuK/story.html

Locked doors give you time. In fact, they gave enough time for Mr. Patti to discourage the murders of the Zantops enough that they went elsewhere:

Excellent examples that all occurred long after I "grew up". Obviously I'm not saying that nothing ever happens in small towns because it does. However, the number of incidents per year is low. Aren't we always lauding how safe Vermont & Maine are? The reason NH is higher in relative terms is primarily ManchVegas and parts of Nashua. Violent crime in small town NH is statistically not a concern.

That being said, I want to replace both of our entry doors. That seems a reasonable reaction since we already have a dog (with a puppy on the way). Guns are already in strategic places so an alarm system would be the only other security precaution I can anticipate.

Last edited:
Violent crime in small town NH is statistically not a concern.

If your unlucky number comes up, it absolutely is a concern. Which is why most of us take reasonable precautions.

The expected value on an event is defined as the probability of the event occurring multiplied by the value. The probability of this event -- a murderous home invasion -- may be very low. But the value of the event -- having to fight for your life against a nutjob intent on cutting your heart out -- is so high that the expected value is still large enough to be important.

germanshep2.jpg

This

Also, i will never obey a law that says i need to have the protection my family and i deserve locked in a ****ing safe. If that makes you mad you can pound ****ing sand, maybe you would prefer watching your wife and children get raped and then set on fire like that douchebag in Connecticut.

Back
Top Bottom