• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VPN for NES viewing?

Tired of blocked "evil sites" like NES and not being able to view local TV Pats games on YouTubeTV when I'm at Hotels and on the road. I can't see the games until it over and all too often get wind of the score before I get a chance to watch. Also, Netflix viewing (out of area) as well as some computer security (financial stuff) would be nice. I'm not a computer Wizard and looking for something cheap and simple to use. A friend suggested Nord VPN but he doesn't even know how it works. Would a VPN solve these issues? Any suggestions ?

Tired of blocked "evil sites" like NES and not being able to view local TV Pats games on YouTubeTV when I'm at Hotels and on the road. I can't see the games until it over and all too often get wind of the score before I get a chance to watch. Also, Netflix viewing (out of area) as well as some computer security (financial stuff) would be nice. I'm not a computer Wizard and looking for something cheap and simple to use. A friend suggested Nord VPN but he doesn't even know how it works. Would a VPN solve these issues? Any suggestions ?
Yes it will solve it. I use IPVanishVPN it’s simple and easy to use on mobile or on you home system.

I used NordVPN to access NES from a medical facility which had a policy of "do not even ask us to change our filtering". It worked very nicely.

It also got around port blocking so I could use SSH, RDP on a non-default port,, etc.

I might have effed it up but it slowed myPC down to the point it was unusable.

Watch out for any VPN which offers "lifetime" or multi-year service for a single payment. They have a strong incentive to just take the money and run as soon as revenue starts to slack off.

If you just want to work around blocking, you can use just about any VPN, or even roll your own. Some home routers can offer a VPN server on the router, so instead of trusting a sketchy VPN service, you can tunnel your mobile traffic back to your home ISP. This is handy when you just want things to work the same as they do at home.

Or you can serve your private VPN from a virtual private server (VPS) or via a free or cheap virtual server (Amazon/Microsoft/Google/etc). These won't protect you from privacy risks from the feds or Google, but they will evade blocking/geoblocking.

I use PIA Private Internet Access | Anonymous VPN Service Provider

It's only $39.95 per year, claim they don't log anything (if you care about that), has over 3k servers,
and they have an app for Android and iOS

I don't know if it works with Netflix or not.

Been using PIA for years, is good.. Netflix is a crapshoot they block most vpn access because of their circle jerk agreements with various major ISP.

I use PIA Private Internet Access | Anonymous VPN Service Provider

It's only $39.95 per year, claim they don't log anything (if you care about that), has over 3k servers,
and they have an app for Android and iOS

I don't know if it works with Netflix or not.
I've been using them for over a year. I've been happy with their service (I use it on my laptop, phone, and my wife can also use it on her devices).

PIA has servers in like a dozen countries. Netflix routinely adds ip blocks for a bunch of vpn services, so I doubt many are immune to that.

The servers are in many countries but the company itself is in the USA. I normally would preffer to do business with US companies, but not when I am trusting them with my privacy.

ExpessVPN works with Netflix.

I use Cyberghost. I was able to purchase an 18 month VPN plan. I used to run PIA (private internet access), but somewhere along the way they pushed out an update that didn't work with the latest MacOS. It was great until it stopped working though.

I normally would preffer to do business with US companies, but not when I am trusting them with my privacy.

ExpessVPN works with Netflix.

x2 regarding the privacy. Ive found Netflix to be hit and miss with even ExpressVPN. I can only get it to work with US and Canadian servers but it's nice because there are many US shows that I can only watch on Netflix when I'm logged onto Canadian servers. Brooklyn 99 is one example.

If privacy is what you want then try TOR.
It sounds randomly through a network around the world.

IIRC you can pay for PIA with Walmart gift cards for absolute anonymity.

The Nordvpn help says "US: You should connect to any of our servers other than ...." and goes on to list the countries from which Netflix works without "blocked in the US filtering". They also have a statement that they do not condone Netflix use to bypass copyright.

Sort of a reverse version of "Nice place you have here, would be a shame if something happend to it"

Have used both Nord VPN and Private Internet Access (PIA) while traveling in China. Neither works well or consistently from there. Have used both in the USA from airport lounges and the speed is cut in about half. Have occaisionally VPN’d to home/office and used Remote Desktop to surf the web. It’s slow, but it works.

Connecting to NES from China requires completing a CAPTCHA to enter website

Before you pay for anything, try the Opera browser. It has a (free) VPN built in, and you can activate it just by clicking a button next to the address bar. It's also a pretty great browser.

Before you pay for anything, try the Opera browser. It has a (free) VPN built in, and you can activate it just by clicking a button next to the address bar. It's also a pretty great browser.

I wouldn't. That Opers thing is just a proxy, not a VPN. It doesn't even provide its own encryption (although if you were already using https then it is encrypted anyway). The ISP can still see your traffic. Apps outside the browser won't be protected, and your IP address can be leaked due to Chrome add ons.

Thoughts on Tor through the Brave browser?

It is the best and easiest way to use Tor. But, all potential issues that Tor has still need to be considered. Mainly, that being the exit node problem. Expect most of the exit nodes to be run by individuals who are traffic sniffing, and by the feds. So, any unencrypted traffic is going to be seen by someone. It should only be used for anonymous web browsing, no logging into your regular accounts that are easily identifiable as belonging to you. Should you ever use it to log into an account, it needs to be a special account created just for use in Tor only, and don't make the mistake of accidentally using that account outside of Tor.

I would never use Tor for NES... it is utterly pointless.

Back
Top Bottom