VPN for NES viewing?

tor? All too technical for me. My primary concern is using hotel WiFi when connecting to my bank; I think I'll just use a cellular connection for that. I don't give a rat's ass about privacy as I think it pretty much doesn't exist these days. I do care about watching a Live Pats Game instead of the local channels that pop up when traveling using Youtube TV. Netflix is only a slight problem as I'm seldom out of their service area and using downloads to keep me happy.

Why not just set up a VPN Server on your home router and then vpn into that from anywhere? OpenVPN is free and works great.

tor? All too technical for me. My primary concern is using hotel WiFi when connecting to my bank; I think I'll just use a cellular connection for that. I don't give a rat's ass about privacy as I think it pretty much doesn't exist these days. I do care about watching a Live Pats Game instead of the local channels that pop up when traveling using Youtube TV. Netflix is only a slight problem as I'm seldom out of their service area and using downloads to keep me happy.
I use Reddit nba and nfl live streams to watch games down here in NC. Use it traveling too.

Search nba reddit stream or nfl reddit stream or really any league you want to watch.

I never fail to get a stream. Buffstreams is the provider you are looking for on those threads.

Thx. Recommendations?
What's your appetite for cost and power consumption?

Slightly more budget friendly options include Netgates-style Intel Atom mini boards. One way to find hardware that will work will in this application is from the PFSense supported hardware forum. as well as their OpenVPN subforum.

Another approach to getting good VPN performance is to start with the choice of CPU. To get the best possible VPN speed, you want a modern processor with AES-NI (offloads the encryption/decryption heavy lifting) or for an ARM system, one that has the license to enable "Armv8 Crypto Extensions" -- these missing extensions are part of why Raspberry Pi sucks at crypto.

What's your appetite for cost and power consumption?

Slightly more budget friendly options include Netgates-style Intel Atom mini boards. One way to find hardware that will work will in this application is from the PFSense supported hardware forum. as well as their OpenVPN subforum.

Another approach to getting good VPN performance is to start with the choice of CPU. To get the best possible VPN speed, you want a modern processor with AES-NI (offloads the encryption/decryption heavy lifting) or for an ARM system, one that has the license to enable "Armv8 Crypto Extensions" -- these missing extensions are part of why Raspberry Pi sucks at crypto.

Thanks. I have a pretty big appetite for blowing money on tech stuff I don’t need. That said, an online VPN provider is only $40 a year. But I like building stuff. I set up a rPi and it sucked for this.

Thanks. I have a pretty big appetite for blowing money on tech stuff I don’t need. That said, an online VPN provider is only $40 a year. But I like building stuff. I set up a rPi and it sucked for this.
Just going by benchmarks, the Pi 3B+ should be "good enough" to serve OpenVPN for one user at +30Mbps, as long as you connect it via Ethernet cable and dedicate it to just that one task.

I have an ASUS router, it handles DDNS and runs OpenVPN. It works great for everything I need it to do. Never tried to stream Netflix through it though.

If Tor is not good at protecting privacy, people listening and logging on the exit nodes, maybe 3 letter gov agencies, then if hypothetically, say a friend of a friend who has a cousin who wants to set up say a yahoo email address so they could create an account on maybe a gun forum that a certain AG in a state where the football team was very good couldn't track back to them, what SW would allow that? In the past, I would have thought TOR would be the way to go. But from reading this thread, it seems that you would still be pretty traceable?

If Tor is not good at protecting privacy, people listening and logging on the exit nodes, maybe 3 letter gov agencies, ... could create an account on maybe a gun forum that a certain AG ... couldn't track back to them, what SW would allow that? In the past, I would have thought TOR would be the way to go. But from reading this thread, it seems that you would still be pretty traceable?
Traceable, but not much chance said TLAs are willing to pass along data to some random podunk state AG and hope the AG does a good job of parallel construction before taking action.

Assuming your threat model is something short of nation-states targeting you personally, you don't need anything more than an effective VPN with an exit node beyond the jurisdiction of the state AG.

Free (limited monthly throughput) option would be to run OpenVPN on Google/Amazon/etc -- most of the free servers are hosted in the midwest/west, so you're golden.

Back
Top Bottom