Viet Nam era AR-15 quest

If I wanted to get the closest semiautomatic version of the Viet Nam era AR-15, what should I be looking for and where is the best place to look?

From what I have read, looks like a Colt SP1 with a triangular hand guard?

Great reference thanks!

What kink of money do you think they are worth?

To me? Not much. To the guys who collect vintage rifles? Hard to say.... Blue Book goes as high as about $3,000 for a mint condition 2 or 3 digit serial number in the original box and as low as $1,200 for a pretty rough one. Of course collectable stuff like that fluctuates a lot even in normal times.

The carbine versions go higher.

I have a couple of basic lowers im not sure what I want to build, is it easy to find an upper that is sp1-like? I'm assuming if the answer is yes build out your lowers with an a2 stock and your good to go right?

I have a couple of basic lowers im not sure what I want to build, is it easy to find an upper that is sp1-like? I'm assuming if the answer is yes build out your lowers with an a2 stock and your good to go right?

NoDak makes nice reproduction early uppers and lowers. NoDak Spud Retro Lowers. You can also find complete original uppers out there from guys that buy complete rifles for the preban lower and then tacti-queer it all up.

Technically you'd want an A1 stock if you wanted to stick with the retro look.

If I wanted to get the closest semiautomatic version of the Viet Nam era AR-15, what should I be looking for and where is the best place to look?

If you're looking for a real vintage piece, I think there's a complete preban SP1 at a store around here.

This is a VEIT era ar. I sold it during the January madness for 2600.00..

red1.jpg

This is a VEIT era ar. I sold it during the January madness for 2600.00..

red1.jpg

With painted furniture and A2 stock and pistol grip? And a late style fenced lower? You got the better end of that deal for sure. What lower is that?

CuiChi2.jpg
Well, here I am in 1966 in Cui Chi Village, Viet Nam with my M16 machine gun. Yes, that selector had a third position for full auto. The good old days.
I have an upper and just need to put together a lower, love the retro look.

Here is my COLT SP-1.

Attachments

• DSCN3916.jpg
    DSCN3916.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN3918.jpg
    DSCN3918.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN3919.jpg
    DSCN3919.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN3917.jpg
    DSCN3917.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 69
Stop in for the meet and greet Thursday evening, and take a look at what just came through the door, an SP1, manufactured 1968, unfired. It's not for sale, going into my collection, it brings back memories...........

I just built a couple of ARs using the M16A1 parts kits from McKay. Was happy with the shape they arrived in. Green Mountain makes a thin A1 style barrel with a 1-12 twist. I used TMI lowers as I was not going for the full retro look. More building .22LR uppers that still had the ability to fire 556 in a pinch.

I just built a couple of ARs using the M16A1 parts kits from McKay. Was happy with the shape they arrived in. Green Mountain makes a thin A1 style barrel with a 1-12 twist. I used TMI lowers as I was not going for the full retro look. More building .22LR uppers that still had the ability to fire 556 in a pinch.

What do you think it cost you to build (including the parts kit)?

These guys have one. Pre forward assist SP1. FTS Guns Home

What do you think it cost you to build (including the parts kit)?

I think about 700$. I sold the preban mag and the FA trigger parts. It would have been about 800 if I hadn't. 520 in the kit. 175 for the barrel. 95 for the lower and 30-40 for the SA trigger parts and a couple of little bits.

Back
Top Bottom