Vacation in NH or ME with pistol?

msdamato

NES Member
I frequently vacation in NH and ME and would like to bring a pistol for self defense in the cabin. I'm a Mass LTC A holder but have yet to get any out of state permits.

I travel in MA with pistol locked and unloaded in mini-vault under the seat of the wagon. Is this method acceptable for me in NH and ME?

Obviously I would like to solve the problem by getting out of state licences for both states, but with our first child due in a month that is somehow not on my wifes priority list.

Also what is propper storage of a pistol once I'm there.

This may be a stupid question considering I'm traveling to free states.
And please redirect this post if it has already been discussed, I couldn't find it.

I cannot speak for ME, but in NH, the only thing you need the permit for is concealed carry of a pistol, to include having it loaded while in the car. Aside from that, no storage laws, and OC is perfectly legal.

In NH and ME, you only need a permit to carry concealed. But, the permits are easy to get (just time and money) assuming you have no restrictions.

Transport: unloaded and locked in your trunk (or a case if you don't have a trunk) with the ammo separate.

IANAL, but as I understand it...

Neither NH or ME require a license for mere possession.

In NH, firearms (and magazines) must be transported unloaded.

In ME, firearms must be transported unloaded and inaccessible (i.e. trunk or locked case).

AFAIK, neither State has MA style "safe storage" laws.

I can only speak to current NH law:

You can not carry concealed or in your vehicle while loaded.

You can carry concealed unloaded, you can transport in your vehicle unloaded.
In my opinion, unloaded means empty chamber and empty magazines.

you can "open carry" loaded, that means walking around in public, but not in a vehicle.

to carry CCW and loaded, on your person or in your vehicle, you need a NH non resident Pistol & revolver license, 100 bucks for 4 years, no interviews, no BS, send the form, a check, and a copy of your MA license and expect it in the mail in about a month

Here is the application....

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf

Last edited:
As a ma**h***, those two permits are trivial to get. Get the permits and enjoy your vacation.

ETA: Though ME is a stickler for process so make sure you use the latest form and follow the instructions to the letter. If they send it back to you, follow the instructions and redate the form as it asks.

ETA: Though ME is a stickler for process so make sure you use the latest form and follow the instructions to the letter. If they send it back to you, follow the instructions and redate the form as it asks.

Maine is a pain in the ass because they require a proof of safety cert and the app is 3 times as long as the NH one. It also takes forever to get, typically, whereas NH is done inside of a month normally.

-Mike

Maine is a pain in the ass because they require a proof of safety cert and the app is 3 times as long as the NH one. It also takes forever to get, typically, whereas NH is done inside of a month normally.

-Mike

Mine came within 1.5 months. The app is long but most of it is signatures. Also, the safety cert most already have from MA...

-Mike
It believe Maine specifys that the safety course was taken in the last five years. The Utah saftey certificate was acceptable.

Mine came within 1.5 months. The app is long but most of it is signatures. Also, the safety cert most already have from MA...

The problem is ME has a 5 yr window. Anyone in MA with an LTC that doesnt have an NRA BP (or whatever else ME takes) cert less than 5 years old is more or less up the creek, myself included. I can get another cert easily but the whole thing is just an added pain.

-Mike

It believe Maine specifys that the safety course was taken in the last five years. The Utah saftey certificate was acceptable.

It is? That's news to me, as I understood it at one time they only took NRA certs or something, but hell, if they do Utah, I'll take a Utah course, and wall-hack it that way, and kinda kill 2 birds with one stone.

-Mike

The problem is ME has a 5 yr window. Anyone in MA with an LTC that doesnt have an NRA BP (or whatever else ME takes) cert less than 5 years old is more or less up the creek, myself included. I can get another cert easily but the whole thing is just an added pain.

-Mike

Yeah, that's right. I forgot about that.

I used my instructor cert.

I can only speak to current NH law:

You can not carry concealed or in your vehicle while loaded.

You can carry concealed unloaded, you can transport in your vehicle unloaded.
In my opinion, unloaded means empty chamber and empty magazines.

you can "open carry" loaded, that means walking around in public, but not in a vehicle.

to carry CCW and loaded, on your person or in your vehicle, you need a NH non resident Pistol & revolver license, 100 bucks for 4 years, no interviews, no BS, send the form, a check, and a copy of your MA license and expect it in the mail in about a month

Here is the application....

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf

thanks we vacation in NH all the time, while I enjoy the open carry the misses does not

Back
Top Bottom