• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UV-5R

You need to be careful though. If you program using chirp you should not input the parameters that allow you to talk on the police channels. Don't give them a reason to bust down your door.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Ugh... I keep seeing this thread, my dad just bought one, and I'm not even into radios...

so I'm probably going to have to buy one.

I have 4 friends now that have bought them after seeing mine :) surprisingly they work really good for what they are. I can talk on my work frequency (bypassing the repeater) from 15 miles away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I do wish I could pick up the lower bands for work (the airport) Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

The nice thing about the UV-5R is that it's a gateway drug into Ham and scanners. Really short money for the functionality. The battery life, especially just listening, is really incredible.

Of course...like your first gun...you can't stop at one.

I paid $170.00 for this like new Yaesu VX-5R with all the accessories I thought this was a good value. I'm not sure it was used more the once.
Speaker mike, two aa battery holders, a fast charging bay, the barometric board, ant adopter. dc plug in cable, leather case along with all the stuff that comes in the box new.

Last edited:
Wasn't really looking to interfere. I was saving to pick up a new scanner. I was thinking the uniden home link . I was wondering if this would fill in until I can purchase the uniden. I am not that familiar with trunking and wasn't sure if this type of radio could mange it.

I paid $170.00 for this like new Yaesu VX-5R with all the accessories I thought this was a good value. I'm not sure it was used more the once.
Speaker mike, two aa battery holders, a fast charging bay, the barometric board, ant adopter. dc plug in cable, leather case along with all the stuff that comes in the box new.

Not to mention the radio is water and dust proof and the quality is much higher. I doubt those $40 radios will last through a rainstorm. But like anything you get what you pay for and if you are just starting out it's worth the $40.

Wasn't really looking to interfere. I was saving to pick up a new scanner. I was thinking the uniden home link . I was wondering if this would fill in until I can purchase the uniden. I am not that familiar with trunking and wasn't sure if this type of radio could mange it.

Pretty hard to accidentally interfere with EMS freqs. Most if not all UHF/VHF ham radios have the wideband coverage to RX the police bands. The trunking the SP uses is a whole other animal that the Ham radios haven't tried to touch yet.

thanks for the info. looks like i'm geting a scanner and a uv-5r

He uv-5r can scan, but at a very slow rate. Scanners on the other hand can fly through frequencies very quickly and catch a transmission wayyyy quicker than the uv5r. Also, I haven't figured out (if even possible) to do a temporary lockout when scanning on the uv-5r. I like to monitor a few channels but have more than a few programmed. I don't think it's possible-but I'm a uv5r noob so who knows.

-------------
Excuse the brevity, I'm mobile.

i got the free version of chirp and the option to import from repeater book is there. you can also import NOAA channels, FMRS/GRS channels, marine channels and others. one thing i did find out (the hard way) is that you have to open chirp, connect the radio and download the channel list from the radio. not sure why but downloading and subsequently editing the list that was in the radio was the only way to upload the list you want.

No, it isn't. I wanted to import the Marine VHF channels and discovered that the stock configuration with the software is sorted by frequency number, NOT by channel... which isn't, in turn, sorted by frequency. Also, they use 8 character labels, and the Baofeng has a SEVEN digit display. NOT useful.

So I exported the Marine frequencies to a CSV file, edited it with Excel, saved it as a CSV file and reimported it. Voila: I now have them in frequency order, AND labeled correctly.

Possibly the Baofeng speaker/mic - I find it useful when I'm in the car.

Well. I no longer recommend this mike. Either it's been garbage from the getgo, or it dies too quickly. Whichever it is, the audio on the transmit side is pretty poor, I've been told. The built-in mike actually does a better job. *grump*

Anyone got a suggestion for a better mike/speaker? Anyone have the Wouxun unit?

I know someone who has had the mic jack in the radio die on 3 radios. He uses the speaker/mic a lot and apparently the jack is a weak point in the radio.

Well. I no longer recommend this mike. Either it's been garbage from the getgo, or it dies too quickly. Whichever it is, the audio on the transmit side is pretty poor, I've been told. The built-in mike actually does a better job. *grump*

Anyone got a suggestion for a better mike/speaker? Anyone have the Wouxun unit?

Kenwood KMC-45 is very nice:

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/prod...urce=voltage&gclid=CLfQjqyL9bsCFYNxOgodmlUAaw

It costs more than the radio itself, of course.

My UV-5R arrived today. I'm new to HAM radio; so far I'm just messing around trying to learn how the radio works (no transmitting!)

So far, the only frequency I'm getting any reception on is 162.550 (weather). I'm using the stock antenna for now, but I just ordered a better one from Amazon.

A couple of questions:
1) Is anybody using Chirp on a linux machine?
2) Any recommendations of frequencies for interesting listening in the metrowest area?

Buck.

ETA: Nevermind about question #1. I was having some issues installing, but I overcame my stupidity. [smile]

Last edited:
Most of the 2M and 70cm talking happens on the ham radio repeaters. Here's good listing of them. They are a little tricky to program: Input frequency, offset frequency (usually 600KHz), direction of offset (+ or -) and most have a "PL tone". Still, it's pretty straight forward once you get Chirp working.

Awesome - thank you!

Most of the 2M and 70cm talking happens on the ham radio repeaters. Here's good listing of them. They are a little tricky to program: Input frequency, offset frequency (usually 600KHz), direction of offset (+ or -) and most have a "PL tone". Still, it's pretty straight forward once you get Chirp working.

OR... just set up an account on repeaterbook.com and import the various repeaters you want from the website.

I just learned something.

Isn't that why this forum is here? [grin]
anim_snoopy.gif

Hmm.... I do have an issue with Chirp on my linux (Ubuntu) machine. It seems that I have an old version that does not recognize the UV-5R (it does have the -3R though). I wonder if there is a newer version for linux....

Sent from Buck's antlers. Yes, they have secret built-in antennas.

Last edited:
Started playing with this and it seems fairly easy to setup on the 2 meter. Havent had much luck on the 70cm however.

EDT Figured out the 70cm as well

Last edited:
Just curious, as this showed up on the same Amazon page as the bajillion different UV-5R's. How is this better? In other words, what justifies it being about double the cost?

BaoFeng GT-3 Transceiver 65-108 MHz Dual-Band Two-Way Radio

It sounds like they teamed up with a better marketing company. Features include: sporty look and an upgraded manual. Some of the guts are at a newer revision, which may or may not mean anything performance-wise.

The GT-3 was developed in collaboration with Baofeng (one of the leading radio producers worldwide) and SainSonic (a well-known e-commerce brand specializing in sales of electronic products across the globe).

Back
Top Bottom