UV-5R

Mike-Mike

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
You can copy and paste the repeaters you want into one tab, but once you paste it into your radio window, the location data goes away. I would suggest setting up one tab the way you want it, export it to .csv, then print it from excel so you know what channels are what. I never figured out how to program alpha numeric labels in these things, if you even can.
Ok great.. Thanks

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok great.. Thanks
It is possible to add alpha-numeric in CHIRP and the Baofengs. However, you have to change an option on the phone to display the name vs the channel number or freq. As soon as you enable that option on the radio, the "names" used in CHIRP will display.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
There's a good thread or 2 in here on that, but the really short story is:

* Get the ARRL Technician study guide and spend some time with it.
* Go to qrz.com and grind through the Technician practice tests over and over. They have the same exact questions/answers as the pool of 350ish questions the FCC draws from to make a test. Once you pass it 4 out of 5 times you are ready for the real test.
* Find a local Ham club. They can administer the FCC test and many clubs hold test sessions once a month. Even better, join the club and hang out with them a bit. Learning from people is better than books.
Note: In the studying, don't wory about the theory much. If you stick with ham radio as a hobby the theory will come in time. Do learn the rules and operating procedures enough to stay out of trouble.

Also, several clubs, including the one in Gloucester (www.caara.net) give "get your Tech. in a day" classes once or twice a year. My son and I got ours that way. We arrived Saturday a.m. no preparation, studied under their guidance all day and passed the test that evening. That was almost 3 years ago, but if I recall about 8 NES people got their licenses that day.
I bought a book to help me study.

I passed the test in Gloucester.

I would not have passed had I not studied the book first.

To study - only memorize the answers. It's that easy.

For OPSEC I got a PO Box before the test so my home address won't show up in the national database.

Cost $70 per year at USPS but it is worth it.

Also get a FCC Registration Number (FRN) - so you won't have to give your Social Security number when you get your HAM License.

To get a FRN - you still need a SS# but you only need to give it once. You can apply in minutes on the FCC site and you'll need that number when you take the test along with your mailing address.

I have not gotten into HAM much yet, but a whole world of fun is out there.

This forum is a great place to start.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought a book to help me study.

I passed the test in Gloucester.

I would not have passed had I not studied the book first.

To study - only memorize the answers. It's that easy.

For OPSEC I got a PO Box before the test so my home address won't show up in the national database.

Cost $70 per year at USPS but it is worth it.

Also get a FCC Registration Number (FRN) - so you won't have to give your Social Security number when you get your HAM License.

To get a FRN - you still need a SS# but you only need to give it once. You can apply in minutes on the FCC site and you'll need that number when you take the test along with your mailing address.

I have not gotten into HAM much yet, but a whole world of fun is out there.

This forum is a great place to start.
Congratulations and welcome to the hobby!!![party]

While you're in the studying mood, get your General. In some ways it's easier than the Tech. Having the General opens up the whole world of ham radio to you. You can work the world with a simple wire antenna hung from the trees that you made for $20.

Are you going to find a Field Day site to hang out at? You'll learn more in a few hours of hanging around a club on Field Day than in a month by yourself in a basement shack.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Congratulations and welcome to the hobby!!![party]

While you're in the studying mood, get your General. In some ways it's easier than the Tech. Having the General opens up the whole world of ham radio to you. You can work the world with a simple wire antenna hung from the trees that you made for $20.

Are you going to find a Field Day site to hang out at? You'll learn more in a few hours of hanging around a club on Field Day than in a month by yourself in a basement shack.
Hampden County Radio Association Field Day School Street Park Agawam MA on Field Day!

Top Bottom