• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UV-5R

I found this Chirp file to program the FRS/GMRS channels that the 5R can do legally--apparently with the correct lower power requirements. YMMV.

http://einarkramer.22web.org/UV-5RA/

FWIW, the UV5R is not capable oflegaltransmission on FRS frequencies. FRS requires a maximum transmit power of 0.5W, and a FIXED antenna.

Yes, it works. No, you're not likely to get caught if you stay on 1W. But, no, it's not legal.

FWIW, the UV5R is not capable oflegaltransmission on FRS frequencies. FRS requires a maximum transmit power of 0.5W, and a FIXED antenna.

Yes, it works. No, you're not likely to get caught if you stay on 1W. But, no, it's not legal.

Yes, I know. To complete the story: you can setup the UV-5R for GMRS as well and meet the power requirements. GMRS does allow for detachable antennas, unlike FRS. But, the UV-5R is not FCC Part 95 certified. Also, you must be licensed for GMRS.

Here's a helpful chart of FRS/GMRS: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

Here's a warning on Part 95 certification: http://wb7tjd.org/wiki/FRS,_GMRS_and_MURS_(Radio_Services_under_FCC_Part_95_Rules)

But then, this radio can transmit on a bunch of frequencies which aren't legal for us to use...any of the police bands for example.

My advice: In CHIRP, set Duplex to (none) on frequencies for which you aren't allowed to transmit. Then just listen.

My advice: In CHIRP, set Duplex to (none) on frequencies for which you aren't allowed to transmit. Then just listen.

Thanks for this. Since I have been using one of mine primarily to listen to the local police, my kids like to grab the radio every time they hear that something is going on in town. I have drilled into them that they are not to EVER push the TX button, but it would be safer if I could just disable it on that channel.

Yes, I know. To complete the story: you can setup the UV-5R for GMRS as well and meet the power requirements. GMRS does allow for detachable antennas, unlike FRS. But, the UV-5R is not FCC Part 95 certified. Also, you must be licensed for GMRS.

Here's a helpful chart of FRS/GMRS: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

Here's a warning on Part 95 certification: http://wb7tjd.org/wiki/FRS,_GMRS_and_MURS_(Radio_Services_under_FCC_Part_95_Rules)

But then, this radio can transmit on a bunch of frequencies which aren't legal for us to use...any of the police bands for example.

Yes the radio can transmit on the police frequencies but it won't activate the repeater without the proper PL tone. If you are listeing the the band and accidentally hit transmit only stations very close to you will get any transmission.

I got my ham radio license about 30 years ago. While I was studying for all of the licenses I was reminded that violation of FCC rules carried heavy penalties. During the time I was active on two meters in the Rhode Island area, there was an unlicensed individual interfering with the repeaters for what seemed like all day and night. As I recall this went on for nearly 3 months. Finally some of the local hams contacted the FCC field office. They had already found the individual through radio direction-finding. They practically handed this guy to the FCC on a silver platter. The upside of it was they visited his house and told him that he needed to divest himself of the equipment right away. No charges were ever filed. I seriously doubt someone using a non type accepted radio would ever incurr the wrath of the FCC.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I got my ham radio license about 30 years ago. While I was studying for all of the licenses I was reminded that violation of FCC rules carried heavy penalties. During the time I was active on two meters in the Rhode Island area, there was an unlicensed individual interfering with the repeaters for what seemed like all day and night. As I recall this went on for nearly 3 months. Finally some of the local hams contacted the FCC field office. They had already found the individual through radio direction-finding. They practically handed this guy to the FCC on a silver platter. The upside of it was they visited his house and told him that he needed to divest himself of the equipment right away. No charges were ever filed. I seriously doubt someone using a non type accepted radio would ever incurr the wrath of the FCC.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This... You have to REALLY piss people off to get the FCC to pay attention to you.... as long as you're not interfering with public safety, broadcast, aviation, or military communications, nobody cares.

-Mike

Could be but if you never put it in the radio you should keep accidental interference to a minimum.

One thing I do whenever I set up unlocked transceivers to listen to police and fire, even if I enable the CTCSS for RX filtering purposes, I always turn the offset on and turn the offset in the WRONG direction- so that even if someone picked up my radio and tried to key it up when it was on one of these channels, they won't actually be transmitting on the correct split and they won't cause problems.

-Mike

Just had an interesting QSO on my little Baofeng - chatting with a guy on Cape Cod. Of course, he was hitting the Mt. Ellen repeater over Echolink... [smile]

So, could someone clear this up for me? Out of the fifteen or so models in the photo above, plus the several different models listed throughout this thread, what is the best bang for the buck? This would take into account sturdiness, technology, ease of use, ease of programming, etc.

Thanks.

What about the frequency?

BaoFeng Two Way Radio
BaoFeng UV-5R 65-108 MHz Dual-Band Ham Radio (Black)

BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band DTMF CTCSS DCS FM Ham Two Way Radio

BaoFeng UV-5RE Plus(UV-5R+) Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich...

Also, what accessories to get with it?

What about the frequency?

BaoFeng Two Way Radio
What about it? Get the UV-5r as recommended. It's a starter radio and you'll want to move on - I just got an Icom IC-208H that's getting installed in the car and I'm looking for a better 2m rig for the house. It's $40, for Ghu's sake - you spend that much taking the missus out to dinner. This lasts a lot longer.

Also, what accessories to get with it?
  • Spare battery
  • Better antenna (Nagoya NA701, NA771 or the Expert Power antenna - they seem to be the most popular. (links are all SAF shopping links))
  • Possibly the Baofeng speaker/mic - I find it useful when I'm in the car.
  • Some people get a 12vdc battery eliminator - plugs into your cigarette lighter and replaces the battery on the unit. Lets you run continuously without running down your battery.

BTW - went out snowshoeing in the "back yard" yesterday afternoon with my fiancee, her sister and another friend. I now have two more people who are serious about getting at least their technician license (future sister-in-law already has her ticket). They heard me chatting with hams from NY and NM on my Baofeng over Echolink via the Mt. Ellen repeater - K1VIT.

Last edited:
It looked like two different frequencies:
65-108 MHz on one, and 136-174/400-480 on another.

I know nothing about these, and want to get something to start learning on.

Thanks.

It looked like two different frequencies:
65-108 MHz on one, and 136-174/400-480 on another.

I know nothing about these, and want to get something to start learning on.

Thanks.
65.0MHz-108.0MHz is FM radio. The UV-5r has an FM receiver built into it. The link you posted is just one with a yellow case, that's all.

Seriously, for $40-$45, it's a great buy. It'll get your feet wet, so to speak, and let you know if you want to be more serious about ham radio. Not to mention that at that price, you can get a couple or three and leave one in your bug-out bag and one in your car. Just remember to cycle the batteries; they do run down.

Smaller size, aluminum case, 3 band 6m, 2m and 440. The unit is used, however like new not even any scratches. Accessories that come in this package: all the normal stuff that comes new in the box along with a speaker mike, two aa battery holders, a fast charging bay, the barometric board, ant adopter. dc plug in cable, leather case and it is a Yaesu. Also this radio had great on line reviews. The down side it was much more expensive.

Smaller size, aluminum case, 3 band 6m, 2m and 440. The unit is used, however like new not even any scratches. Accessories that come in this package: all the normal stuff that comes new in the box along with a speaker mike, two aa battery holders, a fast charging bay, the barometric board, ant adopter. dc plug in cable, leather case and it is a Yaesu. Also this radio had great on line reviews. The down side it was much more expensive.

How much more?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

You can either type it into the keypad or program it with the "chirp" software. If you program it you need to buy the programing cable. I also purchased this antenna: NAGOYA NA-701 DUAL BAND 144/430Mhz U/V SMA-F Antenna For BAOFENG UV-5R WOUXUN KG-UVD1P

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom