• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UV-5R

Before paying for an upgraded manual at niftyaccessories folks might want to check

Baofeng UV5R Baofeng UV-5R

The site is posted earlier in the thread but just wanted to let everyone know that the improved/annotated manual there is really quite helpful. I made my own quick reference card rather than pay for another.

There is also a quick ref card for the uv-3r here: Baofeng UV-3R Quick Pocket Reference Guide

You need to join to download.

Is this a good "radio" to get for someone who used to do this back in the 40's and 50's? My father in law just retired, and his birthday is coming in August. Thanks.

Is this a good "radio" to get for someone who used to do this back in the 40's and 50's? My father in law just retired, and his birthday is coming in August. Thanks.

I think it would depend the most on how he handles modern high tech stuff. All of the menus and such are worlds different from the simple vacuum tube gear of yesteryear. If he's still a techy, go for it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

If he's comfortable with a computer I would say go for it. The menus on the radio can be a PITA, but if you buy the usb cable and and download chirp it's a breeze to program the radio.

I would say no. I would check out an FT-60. The menu system is a little more intuitive but there is still a lot going on with that radio. Nothing nowadays will compare to what he used to run.

It would be fine if you program it for him.

Reading comments here as well as elsewhere I went with the new model, the UV-B5. Couldn't find it in stock anywhere in the US though, so I ordered it from amazon with shipping from China. ETA is JULY 1! egad. It's gonna be a long wait to take advantage of my new license. [sad2] [banghead]

Reading comments here as well as elsewhere I went with the new model, the UV-B5. Couldn't find it in stock anywhere in the US though, so I ordered it from amazon with shipping from China. ETA is JULY 1! egad. It's gonna be a long wait to take advantage of my new license. [sad2] [banghead]

Mine took 17 days from china, and oddly came via Switzerland.

Mine just arrived. Presently trying to figure out how to translate from Radio-Reference to Chirp.

So for instance, RR lists this repeater:
146.65500 146.05500 74.4 PL 74.4 PL N1ZUZ Clinton UHF repeater Worcester

NERepeaters shows the same repeater as:
Clinton, MA 146.655 74.4 N1ZUZ 74.4

Question is, how to translate from RR or NERepeaters to Chirp...
This is my current WAG:

146.655, CLINTON, (None) 74.4 74.4 023 023 NN Tone->Tone (None) 0.6 FM High

Sooo...?

Mine just arrived. Presently trying to figure out how to translate from Radio-Reference to Chirp.

This is my current WAG:

Sooo...?

Tone shouldnt be (None) if the repater has a PL tone, 74.4, then tone mode needs to read "TONE"

This is my current WAG:

Sooo...?

If you are using chirp you can just import therepaearer from repeater book and you won't have to enter the data, you can copy from the list and paste it to the settings for your radio.

If you are using chirp you can just import therepaearer from repeater book and you won't have to enter the data, you can copy from the list and paste it to the settings for your radio.

I think that is a premium (paid) feature. I'm trying to sneak this radio stuff past my wife. For some reason she thinks I spend too much money on hobbies...

i got the free version of chirp and the option to import from repeater book is there. you can also import NOAA channels, FMRS/GRS channels, marine channels and others. one thing i did find out (the hard way) is that you have to open chirp, connect the radio and download the channel list from the radio. not sure why but downloading and subsequently editing the list that was in the radio was the only way to upload the list you want. my radio has the 297 firmware version and i have the version of chirp from about a month ago (not a daily build version). hope this helps.

i got the free version of chirp and the option to import from repeater book is there. you can also import NOAA channels, FMRS/GRS channels, marine channels and others. one thing i did find out (the hard way) is that you have to open chirp, connect the radio and download the channel list from the radio. not sure why but downloading and subsequently editing the list that was in the radio was the only way to upload the list you want. my radio has the 297 firmware version and i have the version of chirp from about a month ago (not a daily build version). hope this helps.

Same here, running the free version, and yes I also had to download before I could edit.

Success. It was a combination of that "Tone" dropdown, realizing the ToneSql means Tone Squelch and learning about the Duplex -, + setting. I made my first two-way conversation this afternoon. Thanks!

I just ordered a pair of these radios, they should be here Wednesday. I'll go for my Tech License in the near future, in the mean time, I'll be using them with my family when we camp, hike, etc. or if there's an emergency.

I just ordered a pair of these radios, they should be here Wednesday. I'll go for my Tech License in the near future, in the mean time, I'll be using them with my family when we camp, hike, etc. or if there's an emergency.

The Baofeng can talk FRS and GMRS frequencies, which you don't need a license to use (if that is a worry for you)

Chirp can import them.

*** ETA But turns out is not certified (and is therefore illegal) on FRS and GMRS.

Last edited:
Reading comments here as well as elsewhere I went with the new model, the UV-B5. ...

So, should we be ignoring the UV-5R and go with the UV-B5 instead? Is it stronger? Simpler? More reliable? Better in what way? Is it worse in any way? More expensive?

Who has seen both, to comment intelligibly? Thanks.

What is the deal with CHIRP ? I've downloaded it, but try as I might, I uploaded several repeaters from "repeater book" The software said it was "Cloning" to my radio but there's nothing there.

I'm sitting here slowly going out of my mind. [frown]

What is the deal with CHIRP ? I've downloaded it, but try as I might, I uploaded several repeaters from "repeater book" The software said it was "Cloning" to my radio but there's nothing there.

I'm sitting here slowly going out of my mind. [frown]

I had problems at first. Set compatibility mode for xp service pack 3 and run with admin privs.

Regardless it seems to forget certain settings such as tone squelch and duplex...

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

So, should we be ignoring the UV-5R and go with the UV-B5 instead? Is it stronger? Simpler? More reliable? Better in what way? Is it worse in any way? More expensive?

Who has seen both, to comment intelligibly? Thanks.

The B5 feels better in your hand and has a rotary knob to change presets, but I found 2 features that i the 5R has over it. 1st the B5 has less presets (99 vs 128). 2nd the B5 doesn't support split offset so you can't use it for duplex satellite work.

The B6 is just like the B5 with with a flashlight from the 5R instead of the tuning knob.

Last edited:
Wait, now there are three to choose from?

UV-5R
UV-B5
UV-B6?

Is there a comparison matrix somewhere? Or are they just going to drop pricing on the older ones and sell the newer ones at the old prices?

Wait, now there are three to choose from?

UV-5R
UV-B5
UV-B6?

Is there a comparison matrix somewhere? Or are they just going to drop pricing on the older ones and sell the newer ones at the old prices?

I just paid like $38 for my new 5R, which is only the cost of a couple boxes of ammo. Picking the "wrong" radio does not have life altering consequences.

Buy what's handy! I am curious if the accessories will interoperate (at least with other Baofeng radios - they can bump the purchase up to the $100 range quickly)

Back
Top Bottom