Using a high end gun for self defense

Depends on how dark it is

Because no one in my house can sleep right they leave like half the lights on at night so id be fine in my house in low light

Pitch black yeah flashlight

On each of our nightstands is a flashlight. If the power goes out, or I hear a "bump" in the night, I want to be able to see.

My G31 with dot also has a tlr-1 on it. It is always in one of two places. At night it's in its holster on my bureau; If I'm out of the house, it's in its (other) holster within my knapsack. If I'm pointing a gun at someone in the dark I want to be able to illuminate them.

My 43X doesn't have a light on it. It's my concealed carry pistol. When I get dressed in the morning, a streamlight flashlight goes in my left cargo pocket, and my benchmade gets clipped to my right pocket.

I was thinking that I should buy a Macro, then get a shorter XL grip and magazines for easier concealment.
Depending on where you are, what you already own, you might find it cheaper to get the Spectre Comp slide which has suppressor height sights for optic co-witness. Starting with a 365 you already have or a bare FCU to assemble, you can get to the exact the mixture of effects you want.

Something to be said for an XL and the extra slide and barrel so you can swap slides depending on whether what you're wearing enables having the optic.

Last edited:
On each of our nightstands is a flashlight. If the power goes out, or I hear a "bump" in the night, I want to be able to see.

My G31 with dot also has a tlr-1 on it. It is always in one of two places. At night it's in its holster on my bureau; If I'm out of the house, it's in its (other) holster within my knapsack. If I'm pointing a gun at someone in the dark I want to be able to illuminate them.

My 43X doesn't have a light on it. It's my concealed carry pistol. When I get dressed in the morning, a streamlight flashlight goes in my left cargo pocket, and my benchmade gets clipped to my right pocket.
Why would you want the bad guy to see you? Nightstand should have nods, home defense gun should have IR designator

Not many people have the funds to buy nods or the training to use them effectively.
I don't expect a civvie to get a quad tube like our operators have. Without Uncle Sam's credit card, the old PVS-14s are still fine. Add a Streamlight TLR-VIR II to a Glock and it's probably still less money spent than a pimped out Nighthawk.

Why would you want the bad guy to see you? Nightstand should have nods, home defense gun should have IR designator

Maybe that's what your NYC or LA friends suggest.

Flashlight and/or weaponlight is designed to allow me to see. That "bump" in the night might be my dog, or grandchild coming downstairs for a drink of water, or because they had a nightmare.

If it's dark enough for me to require a flashlight, when I light up your face with it, you're not seeing anything but a bright white light - and I'm seeing you clearly. With a weapon in hand.

Maybe that's what your NYC or LA friends suggest.

Flashlight and/or weaponlight is designed to allow me to see. That "bump" in the night might be my dog, or grandchild coming downstairs for a drink of water, or because they had a nightmare.

If it's dark enough for me to require a flashlight, when I light up your face with it, you're not seeing anything but a bright white light - and I'm seeing you clearly. With a weapon in hand.
Muhhhh LA and NYC buddies agree - you really shouldn't be using a weapon light to point at your grandchild or dog. I have a TLR-2 on my nightstand gun as well as a handheld Surefire. There's a reason why cops don't just roll up with their gun lights pointed at car drivers at night by default lol. But yes, I agree with you that having a handheld light in addition to a pistol with a mounted light is the best.

And how good your night vision is. By the time you reach your 50s, your night vision is significantly reduced. I’m over 60 and am in the very early stages of cataracts.
Don't delay getting your cataracts addressed. I waited until my ophthalmologist threaten to report me to the state and have my drivers license pulled because he said I shouldn't be driving after dark. The procedure took about 15 minutes per eye done two weeks apart, no need for eyedrops post surgery due to new method of inserting slow release steroids. I'm (was) also very myopic and they were able to correct me to 20/20 with the new lenses. They even have new multi-focal lens that can eliminate the need to use reading glasses, but at my age I was happy just to have the single focal lenses (covered by medicare). I now see better than when I was 10 years old. Even with the single focus lenses I'm able to see my front sight clearly at arms length. Still use the red dots I got when I was having a ton of trouble with the cataracts, but don't need them anymore. One thing I didn't realize until I had the surgery was how much they also affected my ability to detect contrast. I was missing a lot of detail because I couldn't tell the difference between different shades of gray.

Don't delay getting your cataracts addressed. I waited until my ophthalmologist threaten to report me to the state and have my drivers license pulled because he said I shouldn't be driving after dark. The procedure took about 15 minutes per eye done two weeks apart, no need for eyedrops post surgery due to new method of inserting slow release steroids. I'm (was) also very myopic and they were able to correct me to 20/20 with the new lenses. They even have new multi-focal lens that can eliminate the need to use reading glasses, but at my age I was happy just to have the single focal lenses (covered by medicare). I now see better than when I was 10 years old. Even with the single focus lenses I'm able to see my front sight clearly at arms length. Still use the red dots I got when I was having a ton of trouble with the cataracts, but don't need them anymore. One thing I didn't realize until I had the surgery was how much they also affected my ability to detect contrast. I was missing a lot of detail because I couldn't tell the difference between different shades of gray.
Thanks for the advice. My optometrist told me last year that I was at a 1 or 2 out of 10, so I’m assuming it is a bit early for that. I sure would like to be able to stop wearing the contacts that I’ve been using since 1975. I’m also very nearsighted (around -14 diopters).

I haven’t checked with an ophthalmologist though, so I suppose I might do that after I see my optometrist later this fall.

I was thinking that I should buy a Macro, then get a shorter XL grip and magazines for easier concealment.
So my starting point was a 365 FCU + XL grip + X slide (optics ready), making an optics-ready P365X. I then bought the Spectre comp slide, moved my Holosun over, and was running that on the XL frame. Then pulled the slide off, moved the guts over to the Macro frame, added the magwell then used some new baseplates on my existing neutered mags to make them work in the Macro frame.

Link to the conversion baseplate: XM-12 Conversion basepad for Sig P365 xMacro
(Magwell is from same place as the baseplates)

20230829_152616.jpg
20230829_152642.jpg
20230829_152715.jpg
20230829_152828.jpg

Keep in mind, I have small sandwich clamps. So if you're running gorilla grippers, the magwell may or may not be for you.

I’ve got medium hands. But my main concern is the length of the Macro grip. That seems as long or longer than a Glock 19. I think the XL grip would make it easier for me to conceal.

I’ve already got a Gen 5 Glock 19 for when I can conceal a larger gun. I use my 43x when I want something thinner. A 365 Macro/XL mashup would fill that 43x niche, but with hopefully a bit less recoil and maybe a bit better trigger.

Thanks for the advice. My optometrist told me last year that I was at a 1 or 2 out of 10, so I’m assuming it is a bit early for that. I sure would like to be able to stop wearing the contacts that I’ve been using since 1975. I’m also very nearsighted (around -14 diopters).

I haven’t checked with an ophthalmologist though, so I suppose I might do that after I see my optometrist later this fall.
Shout out to my guy Dr. Kuperwaser over at Beth Israel. If he's accepting new patients, highly recommend. The entire team over there at BIDMC is top notch.

I’ve got medium hands. But my main concern is the length of the Macro grip. That seems as long or longer than a Glock 19. I think the XL grip would make it easier for me to conceal.

I’ve already got a Gen 5 Glock 19 for when I can conceal a larger gun. I use my 43x when I want something thinner. A 365 Macro/XL mashup would fill that 43x niche, but with hopefully a bit less recoil and maybe a bit better trigger.
I have zero problems concealing it IWB at 3-4 O'clock and AIWB depending on the holster. I'm only 5-8 and ~200#, so you shouldn't have an issue.

Here's some side by side with a Gen2 Glerk:
20230829_155413.jpg
20230829_155444.jpg

For what its worth me too

I usually edc a small light it comes in handy and all my bedside guns have a light

But i put a light on my edc because why not although i don't like the grip i get with a light but I'll get used to it

Medical guidelines do not support cataract surgery until a certain level of progression has been reached.

Wait too late, and the lens is harder and more difficult to remove (which annoys surgeons since it is generally a fixed price procedure)

Medical guidelines do not support cataract surgery until a certain level of progression has been reached.

Wait too late, and the lens is harder and more difficult to remove (which annoys surgeons since it is generally a fixed price procedure)
Yes, never take medical advice from a shooters forum. I really meant, take your optometrist's/ophthalmologist's advice and get it done when they say you should get it done. Don't wait until they say you HAVE to get it done.

That is the least of my worries if I have to use a gun in self defense.

Absolutely.

If the worst that could happen to me is to lose a gun, I would tell the prosecutor to pick any gun from my collection.

They are going to take your entire collection anyway and you probably won’t be able to afford to buy them back from the bonded whorehouse (warehouse) after your trial anyway.🙁

Muhhhh LA and NYC buddies agree - you really shouldn't be using a weapon light to point at your grandchild or dog. I have a TLR-2 on my nightstand gun as well as a handheld Surefire. There's a reason why cops don't just roll up with their gun lights pointed at car drivers at night by default lol. But yes, I agree with you that having a handheld light in addition to a pistol with a mounted light is the best.
It’s not about wml vs standalone flashlight - it’s about reality vs video games.

We run an all steel night match each year. A few active duty guys run nods. The rest of us run lights.

Guys down here who personally own nods use them for hog hunting.

This is what my Wilson Combat 1911 looks like now. As you can see, it is no safe queen. Guns are meant to be used. View attachment 790603
Nice.

Looking at it i took iphone (no green bubbles) and took way too many pictures.

In order (?)
G34 competition gun
G17 backup

G31 knapsack/bureau gun
G17 backup

G43x carry
G48 & G43 backups

AR that lives on top shelf of safe, ready to hand with dot, light and sling.

Not to be left out - a pair of pretty 1911’s. Not quire safe queens but damn clise

IMG_3688.jpeg
IMG_3689.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3695.jpeg
    IMG_3695.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3694.jpeg
    IMG_3694.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3696.jpeg
    IMG_3696.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3697.jpeg
    IMG_3697.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Main thing I would avoid is things like punisher skulls, or ammo named "Winchester maximum death 9mm lung remover +p".

Could an activist DA go after your race gun? Probably, but they could go after your stock glock or M&P for being a "police gun", etc etc. The safest choice here is a vintage .38 revolver. Only the classiest of people would carry that, right? :rolleyes:

Down here in ga I'm seeing a lot of high end setups for self defense

Lot of staccatos and wilson combats specifically

I always thought you pretty much could kiss your gun goodbye if you use it in self defense no?

And then i was curious how many nes'rs run a high end self defense setup

Not knocking them i want a Wilson lol... just not sure id carry it
I once heard a great point from a LEO . He used his own personal firearm on duty. He qualified and practiced with it regularly. He then became involved in an on-duty shooting. His weapon was confiscated for the duration of the investigation. When he returned to duty the next day, he had the same type, personally modified weapon. He stated that his 'game would be off ' if he used a department issue firearm for the interim. So, he kept an identical item at home in his safe in the event his personal service weapon was damaged or confiscated.

Now, granted, not everyone can afford two (2) Nighthawks, etc. But, by now, everyone can afford to purchase and modify two (2) G-19's, or the same for P365's. The same goes for a 930SPX, buy one, buy a 930 with a barrel option. It's the same action, different accessories, barrels. If you have two (2) AR lowers, well, you know what you can do there. As for PCC's, a Beretta CX4 is the poor man's MP5, and can run the same mags with your 92/M9. You can even get one of those EAA Girsan's. They share the same mags as well.

This is just a peripheral template. GunBrethren, you're Americans, you'll figure out what works best for you.

Main thing I would avoid is things like punisher skulls, or ammo named "Winchester maximum death 9mm lung remover +p".

Could an activist DA go after your race gun? Probably, but they could go after your stock glock or M&P for being a "police gun", etc etc. The safest choice here is a vintage .38 revolver. Only the classiest of people would carry that, right? :rolleyes:
Let me give you a near bullseye thought on that. I used to live in MA. The town I used to live in was notorious for being 'gun un-friendly'. I was at a house warm-ing BBQ one day and the next door neighbor to the homeowners was an Assistant District Attorney (ADA) in that county. He knew me (we were on good terms), and he comes up to me and says " the chief asked if you're OK to have guns". He continues " I said you're all right, but I got to tell you --- if you use a gun on somebody, it better have pictures of dogs, ducks, and 'effin Bambi engraved on it, because I'm going to hold it up to the judge and the jury, just so you know". I don't think he was kidding and I took it as sound advice. Enuf' said

Let me give you a near bullseye thought on that. I used to live in MA. The town I used to live in was notorious for being 'gun un-friendly'. I was at a house warm-ing BBQ one day and the next door neighbor to the homeowners was an Assistant District Attorney (ADA) in that county. He knew me (we were on good terms), and he comes up to me and says " the chief asked if you're OK to have guns". He continues " I said you're all right, but I got to tell you --- if you use a gun on somebody, it better have pictures of dogs, ducks, and 'effin Bambi engraved on it, because I'm going to hold it up to the judge and the jury, just so you know". I don't think he was kidding and I took it as sound advice. Enuf' said
Note to self, order dog duck and Bambi stickers in case I shoot somebody in self-defense. 🤣

This is good to know....my last eye exam a little over a year ago, the Dr. said he saw the beginnings of cataracts. I have another appointment with him right after T-Giving. I will ask him if anything has changed since the last time I had my eyes checked. My dad had cataract surgery last year...first time since he was eight years old (80 years ago) that he doesn't need glasses to see clearly.

Back
Top Bottom