US Army's New Heavy M4 Barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, gain twist exists... inside the barrel, not on the outside.
Nick fury was who I was replying to and his comment was "The OP has me thinking things I have not thought of before. What if the rifling twist varied as the bullet speeds up instead of a fixed rate. Would this not decrease friction therefore heat produced?"

and it has been done on the outside of barrels because I personally have cut variable helix fluted barrels.

**I've also done variable taper helix fluting as well lol.

Hmmmm, have no idea as to the veracity of most of this post.

However, the external twists on that barrel appear to be much more...aggressive?...than internal barrel twits...er...twists. Aren't barrel twists measured by the number of inches it takes for the rifling to make a complete twist?
The veracity will be confirmed this summer when Rutherford County government officials and some Tennessee legislators are held accountable by the FBI. Ongoing non-disclosed campaign contributions investigation. (contributions in exchange for stole proprietary information) The R&D done by Picatinny Arsenal fleshed out the most effective spiral fluting pattern. Think barrel harmonics, the goal of my design was to reduce them while maintaining barrel endurance.

The OP has me thinking things I have not thought of before. What if the rifling twist varied as the bullet speeds up instead of a fixed rate. Would this not decrease friction therefore heat produced?

On a side note I love these one and done mystery posters. From the one who got ripped by Mr. MMA to that Hummer dude who ran for NRA board that guy posted some great vintage ballistics literature... All great stuff. Go NES!
Gain twist has been used in the past. The heat produced would remain the same since it's primary source is the expanding gases. There are other benefits to using a gain twist barrel but manufacturing such barrels are more expensive. Gain twist wasn't involved in my invention. Picatinny Arsenal may not even know it was stolen proprietary information. I've contacted them about the criminal activity.

Infinity (sviguns.com) pistols use gain twist rifling, although I believe they do in the quest for accuracy rather than heat dissipation. They are manufactured internally, not sourced from an outside supplier.

As to the spiral flutes - how about the OP posting a link to the patent or a patent number? That would not give away any of the secret squirrel stuff.
D889583_Page_1.jpg

After reading the OP here I can't help but note how many times the author of this linked article mentions that the army was the one who invented it, to the point that it names the two inventors involved.
Lesson on current U.S. Patent Law: 'First to File' patent law started under the America Invents Act (AIA), legislation by the Republican Party that legalizes patent theft and is often used to stop disruptive technologies from getting off the ground. I personally call the AIA the 'First to Steal' patent law. This new Army M4 barrel is just another example of how effective that Republican nonsense is. Stealing patents in America today is centered on filing the patent application before the inventor does. Corrupt governments partnered with patent thieves are fully capable of making the patent application process impossible for the inventor while ownership is acquired when they file first. The two 'inventors' at Picatinny Arsenal may or may not know the proprietary information was stolen. And yes, I've been to Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey regarding other stolen intellectual property.

Last edited:
I was just observing that the inventors' names came up an almost suspicious number of times in that article.

Good luck getting whatever justice you can.

The external fins don't correspond with the internal rifling unless 1 in 0.33 twist is a thing, and I'm pretty sure it isn't because the rotational force applied to a standard bullet by such a twist rate would cause the bullet to explode. The fins would improve passive cooling, though.
Yes they do correspond. They have a specific purpose. Think barrel harmonics. The Army chose not to disclose information about the utility patent, I'm sorry but I have to limit my disclosure too. Because my invention could be applied to most small arms in our inventor, it may still be sensitive in nature. I'm a former U.S. Army Military Intelligence Officer, 18 years experience.

Bold first post. So your rant is that you left something in a storage unit and inadvertently sold it?
Rutherford County, TN government extortion forcing unemployment for over eight years through employment manipulation. The extortion started immediately after I confronted Ward W. Brien about the theft of my Angle Degree Indicator. When you don't have an income, you become homeless. I've been homeless now for over six years. This forced me to move all my property into a storage unit, US Storage Centers Murfreesboro, TN. The patent thieves knew that I wouldn't be carrying the digital files of my inventions around on my person, it was stored in the unit. Employment manipulation continued in order to make me late on rental payments, forcing the auction of my property. This is classic extortion. If the Army had announced the new M4 barrel before the forced auction of my property, then it would be impossible for it to be my invention with the digital files still in the gun safe in the storage unit. But it didn't happen that way. Months after the forced auction, some time for R&D, and then the Army announces a new barrel that utilizes my proprietary concept. Intellectual property theft is a federal crime, so I've become an FBI informant. County and state Republican government officials are feeling the heat!

The old colt's used to do that to, and I thought maybe the Python did as well, and maybe the S&W 460? 480?

Anyways, thats the first thing that popped into my mind- Got a patent?
The America Invents Act (AIA) was Republican legislation that legalizes patent theft and is often used to stop disruptive technologies from getting off the ground. Your competition, whether another company or an inventor, can't take market share if they can't own their own property. I'm not allowed to participate in the patent application process, extortion by corrupt governments and patent thieves makes sure of that.

If you’re first to file you can still lose if the other person had made it public somehow during the preceding year(?). Something along those lines. But if it was a trade secret that was protected by being kept in a storage unit you might be SOL.

So a quick search doesn't yield anything on the t.g.o. website. If theres other Tenn shooters websites, then send em on over
Odd that someone from Murfreesboro, TN would choose a New England website.

I haven’t checked, but I bet he has similar threads on other similar forums.

it would take more than good weed for me to make sense of the this bullshit and I do product development and mechanical design/engineering for a living, and I have been involved in the patent application process before. We are either getting punked or someone ate too many mushrooms this morning. [cheers]

Yes they do correspond. They have a specific purpose. Think barrel harmonics. The Army chose not to disclose information about the utility patent, I'm sorry but I have to limit my disclosure too. Because my invention could be applied to most small arms in our inventor, it may still be sensitive in nature. I'm a former U.S. Army Military Intelligence Officer, 18 years experience.
18 years as an army officer? Why not the final 2 to get a retirement? What rank were you when you got out?

18 years as an army officer? Why not the final 2 to get a retirement? What rank were you when you got out?
That right there is what got me questioning everything about this thread. If I only had 2 yrs to go I’d stand naked in a freezing mud puddle to get through it if I had to. Walk away after 18? They’d have to drag me out, and that’s possibly what happened here.

JFC and now with the AR vs AK comparisons.

AKs can handle much more abuse due to lower tolerances.

Mud getting stuck in exterior rifle grooves will not hurt the rifle whatsoever. WTAF?

When a barrel has right twist rifling, wouldn't left twist flutes enhance barrel stiffness and counter harmonics?
I'm thinking the fluting is some sort of multiple of the barrel rifling to help counter harmonics. I'm not a modeling person, but with the right software package it would probably be easy to demonstrate.
On patents, yes the government can put a stop to issuing a patent if they want to keep proprietary. However, usually there is a time limit for that and the original applicants should still get the patent once it issues. At least that is my experience working for a large multi-national with a small army (no pun intended) of patent attorneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom