• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPIN & Delays

Good afternoon. So after being delayed the last couple times, I decided I would get a UPIN. The woman at the past office told me they would receive my application on Tuesday. Does anyone know how long it'll be before I actually recieve my UPIN? Will it prevent me from getting delayed in my background checks in the future? Thanks.

Usually takes around 6 months. Fwiw, I have one, still get delays... it's really annoying. I hope your go around with it is better than mine. Cheers

Around 6 months!? Wow delays still? That kind of defeats the purpose. Thanks I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Usually takes around 6 months. Fwiw, I have one, still get delays... it's really annoying. I hope your go around with it is better than mine. Cheers

So they're actually processing UPIN applications? I thought the entire appeals staff was reassigned.

So they're actually processing UPIN applications? I thought the entire appeals staff was reassigned.

who knows. i got a upin like 2 years ago. took maybe 8 months to get the paperwork back. i still get delayed and usually just get a call the 3 days later to come pick up xyz. really puts a damper on buying something from say 4 seasons when you live near the berkshires. not driving 2 hours each way more than once for something. its a real pain in the ass. and that's just the way it is. for me at least. ymmv and I hope it does.

The upin only helps identify you...if your the cause of the delay it wont help and theres nothining you can do to fix it...when i got my ffl they made me provide documents to resove an issue. I hoped once they had what they where missing it would fix my delay problem...NO once youve been tainted its for life.

Its definitely more about not wanting to drive all over and making gunshow purchases unrealistic.more than "but im angry now!" Homer Simpson

100% delays here, so far. It's irritating considering if one isn't a law abiding citizen one could drive to certain nearby areas and probably get almost anything for a fraction of the LGS price.

I have two theories for the increase of delays (even with a UPIN).

1) They reassigned a shitload of appeals and UPIN processors to NIC's examiners (actually fact, not theory).

2) After they dropped the ball on the Charelston shooters background check, they're not taking any chances.

FWIW, it took 6-8 weeks for my paperwork to come back, but that was way back when the program first started.

The upin only helps identify you...if your the cause of the delay it wont help and theres nothining you can do to fix it...when i got my ffl they made me provide documents to resove an issue. I hoped once they had what they where missing it would fix my delay problem...NO once youve been tainted its for life.

Its definitely more about not wanting to drive all over and making gunshow purchases unrealistic.more than "but im angry now!" Homer Simpson

Makes sense. I've haven't done anything so I'm hoping a UPIN helps, but I'm not feeling too optimistic right now, but I won't be receiving it any time soon anyway.

I have two theories for the increase of delays (even with a UPIN).

1) They reassigned a shitload of appeals and UPIN processors to NIC's examiners (actually fact, not theory).

2) After they dropped the ball on the Charelston shooters background check, they're not taking any chances.

FWIW, it took 6-8 weeks for my paperwork to come back, but that was way back when the program first started.

Ah so it's the combination of both...

I've had two delays in the past 6 months. Never been delayed before that.

One delay lasted maybe 20 minutes. I sent the kid at Dicks to the back to look for ammo and when he came back it had switched from Delayed to Proceed.

The other I had to wait the three days for it to clear. The funny thing is, after that I made several other purchases and had no delays at all.

The funny thing is, both purchases were very FUDDy shotguns. A Winchester SXP pump and a Browning Maxus Sporting autoloader. Not exactly your standard evil black guns. One was black, though.

I used to get delayed about 50% of the time. I can't say this is a solution, but after getting my C&R license, I never got delayed again. May just be a coincidence, but I was like 5 for 10 before and 0 for 20 after.

I was delayed on every purchased prior to a UPIN and have not been delayed on any that I have provided my UPIN for since. Took a couple of months to get back if I remember correctly but I applied for and received mine a good while ago. Worth the hassle of getting it for me personally at least.

I used to get delayed about 50% of the time. I can't say this is a solution, but after getting my C&R license, I never got delayed again. May just be a coincidence, but I was like 5 for 10 before and 0 for 20 after.

C&R license? What's that?

[rockon][rockon][rockon][rockon][rockon][cheers][rockon]
I was delayed on every purchased prior to a UPIN and have not been delayed on any that I have provided my UPIN for since. Took a couple of months to get back if I remember correctly but I applied for and received mine a good while ago. Worth the hassle of getting it for me personally at least.

Victory! Congrats.

I've had two delays in the past 6 months. Never been delayed before that.

One delay lasted maybe 20 minutes. I sent the kid at Dicks to the back to look for ammo and when he came back it had switched from Delayed to Proceed.

The other I had to wait the three days for it to clear. The funny thing is, after that I made several other purchases and had no delays at all.

The funny thing is, both purchases were very FUDDy shotguns. A Winchester SXP pump and a Browning Maxus Sporting autoloader. Not exactly your standard evil black guns. One was black, though.

Yeah there's a common occurrence of delays. My advice to everyone from what I've read here, is just apply for the UPIN. It SHOULD help.

Te easiest way to stop the delays is,

1- Move to SC

2- Get a CWP (LTC to y'all)

3- Enjoy never having another BGC run on you when you buy a gun.

OK so maybe it isn't the simplest solution but definitely the best solution. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom