[UPDATE POST113]S.661 Self Defense Bill

Sounds like another big nothing. Been through this charade too many times. Sure, they all seem OK with the bill or bills when you are there in person, but in the back room, these things get the thumbs down and everything was for naught. Getting so fed up with the MA legislature. It isn't even like they try to hide it any more. It is blatantly obvious and "in your face". I'm surprise they don't have a laugh track going.

Prediction... they'll pull a fast one on us and have a hearing without any advanced warning given to the bills supporters; however... those against the bill will know ahead of time when to be there.

They pulled that stunt on us once before (one gun per month bill), and they'll do it again.

Prediction... they'll pull a fast one on us and have a hearing without any advanced warning given to the bills supporters; however... those against the bill will know ahead of time when to be there.

They pulled that stunt on us once before (one gun per month bill), and they'll do it again.
First it has to get out of committee... Then they can go that as well as bury it in a circus of other legislation.

Why bother? Far easier for them to support the bill so enthusiastically that they want to get it right, therefore make sure it gets proper "study" attention... and we'll see it in... 2013? 2014? 2114?

Why bother? Far easier for them to support the bill so enthusiastically that they want to get it right, therefore make sure it gets proper "study" attention... and we'll see it in... 2013? 2014? 2114?
Frankly, it costs them little to even let this one go through. Throw us a bone and tell us to shut up and DA's continue railroading innocent people with the SJC's blessing.

This is why progress is so halting in this state... When we get a win, it only points out how far we have left to go.

I am convinced that real change will require a 6 figure civil rights payout as we have seen in Chicago. Even there, you saw how they have continued to stomp on people even as they cut the check to SAF.

Frankly, it costs them little to even let this one go through. Throw us a bone and tell us to shut up and DA's continue railroading innocent people with the SJC's blessing.

This is why progress is so halting in this state... When we get a win, it only points out how far we have left to go.

I am convinced that real change will require a 6 figure civil rights payout as we have seen in Chicago. Even there, you saw how they have continued to stomp on people even as they cut the check to SAF.

Maybe a 7 figure payout would work. [wink]

Ummm - not quite sure why Marsha will care about spending my money to pay off SAF / C2A when she freely spends it to violate my god-given right to self defense. :)

But your perspective is a nice place to visit! :) :)

Ummm - not quite sure why Marsha will care about spending my money to pay off SAF / C2A when she freely spends it to violate my god-given right to self defense. :)

But your perspective is a nice place to visit! :) :)
It will be by court order, she won't have a choice in the matter...

Agreed. And unless the court order is to both pay AND cease and desist, I am skeptical that that will stop anything here. Having to spend my money just means taxes will go up.

That said, I would be glad to be wrong! :)

Agreed. And unless the court order is to both pay AND cease and desist, I am skeptical that that will stop anything here. Having to spend my money just means taxes will go up.

That said, I would be glad to be wrong! :)

Fire her sorry ass. End of story. The moment we toss that freeloading, withered poison ivy, out of office, and the rest like her, the sooner we can move up from being just a cesspool. We might make the rank of quicksand by 2020...

There has to be a way to get rid of scum in office, without waiting for some trumped up "election" nonsense. Those that are completely useless, and a bane to society need to be tossed out, and quickly...

I went to the hearing. It was my first time going to something like this. Very interesting. When cekim testified about having to defend his life to the committee, the committee chairs carried on an outside conversation with aides. No one on the committee seemed interested in his testimony in general. No one had questions. Ignored might be a good word to describe it.

The next group to testify were from the MSPCA, and they had a gripe about housing hoarders cats and dogs after a complaint had been made. The entire committee sat on the edges of their seats, their entire focus on the testimony. The chair and several regular members all had questions and seemed genuinely concerned about this very "important" issue.

What I learned by going: Who foots the bill for confiscated cats was of utmost importance, but a human losing his or her personal liberty because they had to fight for their lives in their own homes not so much.

Email sent, this is the response I recieved.

Hi *********,

Thank you for your email concerning legislation relative to self defense measures. As your State Senator, it is important I hear directly from my constituents and welcome this opportunity to respond to you. I feel much of the discussed legislation makes sense because a law-abiding citizen should have right to defend one’s self and others who are being threatened with bodily injury or death. Rest assured, I will do what I can to help pass this bill favorably by working with my colleagues on the Joint Committee on the Judiciary.

Again, thank you for your advocacy and your email. If I can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to respond.

Michael J. Rodrigues
State Senator, First Bristol and Plymouth

Fire her sorry ass. End of story. The moment we toss that freeloading, withered poison ivy, out of office, and the rest like her, the sooner we can move up from being just a cesspool. We might make the rank of quicksand by 2020...

There has to be a way to get rid of scum in office, without waiting for some trumped up "election" nonsense. Those that are completely useless, and a bane to society need to be tossed out, and quickly...

As much as I appreciate the emotions behind this post, you really ought to consider the unintended consequences of what you're talking about.

Which are?

without waiting for some trumped up "election" nonsense

Really? Elections are pretty foundational to our whole political system. How about we do something to get decent candidates elected? How about we put a stop to gerrymandering (mathematically, this would be pretty easy)?

The unintended consequences are once Republicans are in office, the whole cycle continues.

If Martha has truly done something illegal (and I wouldn't be surprised if she has) then investigate it and get her booted.

I got this email this afternoon -

Massachusetts: Castle Doctrine Legislation Remains in Committee
Contact members of the Joint Committee on the Judiciary TODAY!

The Massachusetts Joint Committee on the Judiciary held a hearing on February 6 on Senate Bill 661, an important self-defense bill, but has not yet voted this bill out of committee. Please call AND e-mail members of the Joint Committee on the Judiciary TODAY and urge them to vote SB 661 out of the committee, so it may move forward though the legislative process. Contact information for the committee can be found here.

SB 661, Castle Doctrine legislation introduced by state Senator Stephen Brewer, would provide essential protections for law-abiding citizens who defend themselves and their families from a criminal looking to do them harm.

The “Castle Doctrine” establishes the presumption that an individual who forcibly enters one’s home, business or occupied motor vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, and allows the use of force, including deadly force, against that person. This bill also eliminates any “duty to retreat” so that law-abiding citizens no longer must turn their back on a criminal and try to run when attacked.

Finally, SB 661 would provide that any person who uses force, authorized by law, shall not be prosecuted for using such force and also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them. In short, it restores rights to law-abiding people and forces judges and prosecutors to focus on protecting victims.

This alert is posted to http://nraila.org/legislation/state...tle-doctrine-legislation-remains-in-committee

Here is a list of everyone on the committee -

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected], [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

I tried to post a link where you clicked on it and your email opened up with all of them in there but I could not figure out how to do it.

Highlight the whole list and then copy and paste it into an email and send them all something to let them know to push this through.

Last edited:
I got this email this afternoon -

Here is a list of everyone on the committee -

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected], [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

I tried to post a link where you clicked on it and your email opened up with all of them in there but I could not figure out how to do it.

Highlight the whole list and then copy and paste it into an email and send them all something to let them know to push this through.

Just emailed the list:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello,

I hope you all vote the right way on this bill. People need to be able to defend themselves. The police can't be everywhere to stop crimes, only to investigate after the fact except in rare circumstances. This bill IS the difference between life and death for some people, and the criminals need to stop being put over law abiding citizens in this state. We need the protection to know that we aren't going to be sued for protecting our family, our property and ourselves from some junkie with weapons on him(i.e. Anthony McKay in Swampscott). Remember, more people than ever are paying attention to politics, and more people than ever are voting. It's not the criminals that vote you in, and you do work for the taxpayers.

Regards

Mike
[/FONT]

Will send to the committee next but this is a response from Sen. Keenan, does not seem like he is in support.

"Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Senate Bill 661, An Act relative to the common defense. As your state senator, I appreciate your input and value your thoughts on this issue.

As you mentioned in your e-mail, there have been a number of notable, and recent, events that have shed light on existing and proposed laws regarding self-defense legislation in states across the country. Here in the Commonwealth, for example, Section 8A of Chapter 278 does already provide individuals with the defense protections that would apply in these understandably dangerous situations.

Currently, S.661 sits before the Legislature’s Joint Committee on the Judiciary and had its hearing earlier this month. As a member of the Committee, I am continuing to research this legislation in more depth, and I will be sure to keep your support of the legislation in mind going forward.

Again, thank you for your advocacy. If you have any other information or documents that could be helpful pertaining to this or any other issue, kindly forward them at your earliest convenience. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Sen. John F. Keenan
Norfolk and Plymouth District"

Will send to the committee next but this is a response from Sen. Keenan, does not seem like he is in support.

"Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Senate Bill 661, An Act relative to the common defense. As your state senator, I appreciate your input and value your thoughts on this issue.

As you mentioned in your e-mail, there have been a number of notable, and recent, events that have shed light on existing and proposed laws regarding self-defense legislation in states across the country. Here in the Commonwealth, for example, Section 8A of Chapter 278 does already provide individuals with the defense protections that would apply in these understandably dangerous situations.

Currently, S.661 sits before the Legislature’s Joint Committee on the Judiciary and had its hearing earlier this month. As a member of the Committee, I am continuing to research this legislation in more depth, and I will be sure to keep your support of the legislation in mind going forward.

Again, thank you for your advocacy. If you have any other information or documents that could be helpful pertaining to this or any other issue, kindly forward them at your earliest convenience. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Sen. John F. Keenan

I got the same reply.

You should reply back to him and tell him that if he votes against the bill you will be donating, and working for, whoever runs against him in the next election.

What they need is an immense wall of people writing these letters. Anything less, and it will die in committee.

"Dear Christopher,

Sincerely,

Sen. John F. Keenan

I got the same reply also.

My reply to Senator Keenan's email:

Dear Senator Keenan,
Section 8A of ch 278 is written ambiguously and open to interpretation as are nearly all laws in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts related to the use of firearms in self defense. The use of firearms in defense of anyone, anywhere they have a right be, when threatened with grave bodily injury or death, should be absolute and uncompromised. Should the self defense result in injury or death to the individual(s) perpetrating the attack on innocent victims, neither the perpetrators, their family, or their estate should be able to recover any damages whatsoever from the person defending themselves or others. Period.

Thank you for responding.

Sincerely

Back
Top Bottom