[UPDATE POST113]S.661 Self Defense Bill

Just dont read the comments at the bottom or you may get severely angry with the ignorance of certain people in this state.. [banghead]
I didn't make it to the comments before getting severely angry.

"When a person is armed with a pistol, their whole attitude and behavior changes," Swan said.

**** yeah their attitude changes. They treat those around them with kindness and respect, and expect the same in return!

Last edited:
What's wrong with Swan? If he only knew how many people around him are armed, he probably wouldn't leave his house.

I think the guy in Florida is in big trouble, I don't see a defense in this case.

Representative Swan is probably concerned that some of the recipients of the stand-your-ground defenders' defensive actions will be his constituents.

Sent from my way-too-expensive cell phone using Tapatalk. Please excuse spelling errors and missing links.

Representative Swan is probably concerned that some of the recipients of the stand-your-ground defenders' defensive actions will be his constituents.

Sent from my way-too-expensive cell phone using Tapatalk. Please excuse spelling errors and missing links.
That's pretty much where we are at all levels... The "majority" are leaches to society, so they keep electing people to protect them. From Banking, to insurance, to petty crime... There are more people who want to abuse others than there are those who would be free and bring no harm to others that did not try to harm them.

So, how does legislation get passed in MA? It needs to be approved by the select few who run the show? How do we get the proper message across to them? Answer this, and this will go through, end of story.

So, how does legislation get passed in MA? It needs to be approved by the select few who run the show? How do we get the proper message across to them? Answer this, and this will go through, end of story.
Governor and speaker of the house breath on everyone... Other than that, if you have pictures of them naked with sheep, that helps, but in this state such depravity is all taken in context, so it might require something more extreme. [laugh]

(disclaimer: do not blackmail public officials, that would be bad).

What it really requires for the "opposition" (that's us) to pass a bill is there have to be 100's or more people going to talk to their reps on a regular basis and applying pressure to them. They have to see some evidence that supporting your bill in opposition to the establishment has something to offer them. Either in trade for their agenda or in new voters who would not otherwise support them.

Last edited:
Consider it dead.

A day after some legislators wore hoodies at the State House in honor of Florida teen Trayvon Martin, Patrick gave his take on the “murky set of facts” surrounding the killing and a similar “Stand Your Ground” bill proposed in Massachusetts.

“I don’t think that bill is going to move, and if it were to move it wouldn’t make it past my desk. I don’t totally understand what the argument for it was in Florida,” Patrick said.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re..._indict_ebt_card_program/srvc=home&position=4

Well dead or not dead I just re-wrote my senator and representative to encourage them to continue to support this bill. I urge you all to do the same!

Good, one more thing to drive me to move sooner.

+1

I've been going back and fourth on this for a while. I've been in new england my entire life (NH & MA) and it would be nice to get out and feel what it's like not being treated like a criminal for every little thing I want to do. I've considered moving up to NH, unfortunately most of my friends and family are located in MA (as well as my job), so I would be coming back across the border often. Not armed, mind you because I refuse to pay $100/year for a restricted permit.

I wrote e-mail messages, called and left messages with assistants, as well as snail mailed my Senator on this. I didn't even get so much as an acknowledgement back for my efforts. Not even a "thank you for your letter but go outside and play a rousing game of hide and go f**k yourself". That pisses me off more than Devalue saying he would veto it.

I think it's best to treat MA like the crazy ex, hit it and quit it.

+1

I've been going back and fourth on this for a while. I've been in new england my entire life (NH & MA) and it would be nice to get out and feel what it's like not being treated like a criminal for every little thing I want to do. I've considered moving up to NH, unfortunately most of my friends and family are located in MA (as well as my job), so I would be coming back across the border often. Not armed, mind you because I refuse to pay $100/year for a restricted permit.

I used the friends and family thing as a justification to move back to my hometown of Attleboro after I got out of the military. I got a job in Woods Hole, and moved 40 minutes closer to the Cape. Most of the "friends" I was worried about seeing don't come around anymore, the ones that do and my family would make the extra 30 minute drive in the other direction to see me in NH. I have a job that I actually enjoy, and it pays well, but it isn't enough to keep me here. I just need 2 more years to make selling my house worth while.

Three points...
1) There isn't enough information to know if this was a straight self-defense situation, a castle situation, or a stand-your-ground decision. EVERY jurisdiction recognizes the human right to use appropriate force necessary to stop an attacker when a) there is the immediate threat of grievous bodily harm and/or death and b) you have no means of escape. This applies whether in your home or in public. This may have been the case for Mrs. Bloomquist, in which case neither the castle rule nor stand your ground right would be needed.

2) MA does have half a castle law. If threatened with grievous bodily harm and/or death in your own home, you do not have to flee before choosing to use necessary force to stop the threat. However, the law does not protect you from civil suit by the attacker or his surviving family. I suspect this was the rule applied by the police in this case.

3) MA doesn't have a stand your ground law. If the attack occurred in public and she was able to flee, then under MA law she would have to choose that option rather than shooting, stabbing or kicking him in the nuts.

IANAL, so more learned folks than I will feel free to correct this, I'm sure. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom