[UPDATE POST113]S.661 Self Defense Bill

yanici

NES Member
SEE NEW UPDATE IN POST 112 1/23/2012 [ Public Hearing on 2-07-2012, Rm. B1, Statehouse]

Below is the email and response from my State Senator Finegold on the current self defense bill that is sitting in committee. It's time to push this through. With the rash of home invasions maybe we can light a fire under our legislators. Anyway, here's what I wrote and his response. Please write your legislators.

Dear Senator Finegold,

I am writing to ask your support on Senate Bill 661 which is now in the Joint Committee on the Judiciary. The sponsor is Senator Stephen Brewer. Fellow petitioners are: Petitioners:Stephen M. Brewer, George Ross, Viriato M. deMacedo, George N. Peterson, Michael O. Moore, Bruce E. Tarr, Demetrius J. Atsalis, Daniel Winslow, Bradley H. Jones, Dennis A. Rosa, Todd M. Smola, Marc Lombardo, Anne M. Gobi, Randy Hunt, Christine E. Canavan, John J. Binienda, Donald F. Humason, Richard Bastien, Shaunna O'Connell, Angelo J. Puppolo, Cleon H. Turner, Elizabeth Poirier, Susan W. Gifford, Nicholas Boldyga, Thomas A. Golden, Paul K. Frost, Matthew Beaton

As you know, there has been an increase in home invasions by criminals with many vicious attacks on innocent individuals. Senate Bill 661 is a common sense bill that will allow the citizens of Massachusetts to defend themselves from personal attacks and to use the force necessary without fear of prosecution or civil actions being lodged against them. It is time to help the law abiding person and not the thugs that commit these crimes. As it stands now, it would not be uncommon for a person who defends themselves from such attacks to have to pay $40,000 to defend oneself from a civil suit even if cleared of any wrong doing. It’s just plain WRONG. I can’t understand how this can be allowed to continue.

Below is the text from S.661:

SECTION 1. Chapter 278: Section 8A. Killing or injuring a person defense of self or others;

Section 8A. It shall be an act of lawful defense if a person, who is an occupant of a dwelling or in any place that they have a right to be, used deadly force, or less than deadly force, if he or she acted in the reasonable belief that an assailant was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon themselves or upon another person who also had a right to be in the location. There shall be no duty on a person to retreat from any place that they have a right to be. An act of lawful defense as outlined in this section shall not be cause for arrest or prosecution. Further, an act of lawful defense under this section shall not be cause for the revocation of a license issued under sections, 122, 123, 129B or 131 of Chapter 140.

SECTION 2. Chapter 231: Section 85U. Death or injury to assailants; liability of defender

Section 85U. No person who has committed an act of lawful defense as outlined in section 8A of chapter 278 shall be held liable in an action for damages for death or injuries to an assailant.

If there is anything that you can do to help move S.661 in a positive direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
His response:

Dear Mr. XXX

Thank you very much for writing about Senate Bill 661, “An Act relative to the common defense.” I greatly appreciate the information you have given me and will keep your sentiments in mind when this legislation is heard and voted on in the Senate. As a husband and father of two, with one on the way, I understand your desire to protect your family and yourself from danger. I will be sure to speak with Senator Creem, Chair of the Judiciary Committee, and make your sentiments known.

Thank you again for your advocacy, I very much appreciate your input. If you need any further assistance or would like more information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Very truly yours,

Barry Finegold

Last edited:
I was kinda hoping you guys would rally around this bill. It seems like something that stands a chance. Whaddya say? Anyone else getting on board?

im going to write and call my senator about the bill. i already know his answer as he is the sponsor of it. mr. brewer is my senator. hope it passes.

Can someone shed some light here? I've never written to legislature before. I thought there's two senators per state, where are all these other senators coming from if I'm seeing a lot of MA locations?

Edit: nvm just realized theres a whole section on contacting them...

Last edited:
Can someone shed some light here? I've never written to legislature before. I thought there's two senators per state, where are all these other senators coming from if I'm seeing a lot of MA locations?

It is a state bill, not federal so we are talking state senate reps.

So is this the guy I need to contact? http://www.malegislature.gov/People/Profile/JRK1

Donnelly and Fargo are both one town out (in opposite directions).. very confusing.

He is a member of the state house. What you want for this bill is a state senator. There is one per district. Just entering your zip code should work http://www.malegislature.gov/People/Search

http://commpres.env.state.ma.us/publications/mapgallery/senate.pdf

ETA: You could also just email both of them (Donnelly and Fargo) [wink]

Last edited:
Below is the email and response from my State Senator Finegold on the current self defense bill that is sitting in committee. It's time to push this through. ... maybe we can light a fire under our legislators. Anyway, here's what I wrote and his response. ...

Them saying they will "support it", and "push it through" are two very different things. One requires just sitting around doing nothing unless it comes out of committee and up for a vote. The other is their active push to release it from committee for a vote. I've only really seen the former out of the MA legislature. I am told they will only do what they are told from the top (leadership) down. It sadly seems to be true. I am not holding my breath on much of anything.

Sorry I am a bit confused.. Petitioners are supporters for the bill correct?

Im lucky my senator is the sponsor... still wrote him an email with support.

Last edited:
Thank you for your email. I read each message received, and I appreciate your concerns. If this is a time sensitive matter, please call my office at (617) 722-1410, and a member of my staff will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Frederick E. Berry
Majority Leader

This is about all I will ever hear from Berry[flame]...thank Christ he is giving up his seat.... [party]

Last edited:
More of you reading this than responding...let's go!!!![angry2] This is a no brainer[banghead] Send a letter, make a call but do somthing.[pot] Sure enough all that are not responding will be the first to whine if it fails....[crying] Cut and paste YANICI's letter...So easy![rolleyes]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom