[UPDATE POST113]S.661 Self Defense Bill

I got the same response from Sen. Eldridge. I explained that I thought that perhaps we were confusing the bills. I pointed out the true purpose of the bill.
I should have suggested that he speak to the other W&M Senator (Jen...can't think of last name) that has shown some level of understanding and support for the bill.

Aloha

Same here.

I got the same response from Sen. Eldridge. I explained that I thought that perhaps we were confusing the bills. I pointed out the true purpose of the bill.
I should have suggested that he speak to the other W&M Senator (Jen...can't think of last name) that has shown some level of understanding and support for the bill.

Aloha

I am utterly shocked!! /sarcasm
I am calling Sen. Fargo's and Rep. Atkin's offices now. I won't bother to report back with results unless they are different from my expectations: "Thank you for your call. Pound sand, you knuckle-dragging, first-in-your-family-to-walk-upright, mountain-dwelling neanderthal."

PS - I am currently free on the 7th and will attend unless work dares to get in my way!

As you may or may not recall, my State Senator, Barry Finegold, took some time and came to my club right before Christmas. He had never fired a gun before. Anway, to make a long story short, I just received a phone call from him to let me know that he will be positioning in favor of S661 and will let the committee know.

I urge all NESers to try to get close to their legislators so that your input will be valued. Thanks to all you guys and gals that have notified their Reps and Senators of this "common sense" bill.

I've talked to him on a couple of occasions and he seems like one of the good ones.

On the other hand, my senator is Fargo and I'm not expecting as much support from her for this bill. *sigh*

On the other hand, my senator is Fargo and I'm not expecting as much support from her for this bill. *sigh*

Ditto... Just left a message with a staff member in support of the bill and left my cell phone #. As Howie would say, when the phone doesn't ring, I'll know its her. ;)
The staff member in Rep. Atkins' office got a bit of an education from me. Listened very patiently, I referenced the Swampscott case and how the good guy went to jail etc. I may have made a convert. Asked that Rep Atkins do her best to make sure it gets out of committee... we'll see!!

Dear ----------,

Thank you for the time you took to write to me regarding your support of Senate Bill 661, "An Act Relative to the Common Defense."

Current Massachusetts law protects citizens in their home when faced with imminent death or bodily harm should they choose to resort to self defense. S. 661 seeks to extend the same legal protections to citizens who are attacked and defend themselves outside their home. I agree that this issue should be more closely examined in order to ensure that the Commonwealth is doing everything it can to protect victims of heinous crimes. I look forward to a discussion on this legislation in as we begin the new year.

Thank you again for bring this important issue to my attention. Should you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Katherine Clark
State Senator
Middlesex and Essex

I will be sending a reply outlining the finer points of this bill, for example protection from civil suits. Her reply seemed rather vague to me, lacking a clear position on the bill, I intend on trying to clear that up.

If anyone has any suggestions for my reply, please share.

I will be sending a reply outlining the finer points of this bill, for example protection from civil suits. Her reply seemed rather vague to me, lacking a clear position on the bill, I intend on trying to clear that up.

If anyone has any suggestions for my reply, please share.

Ah, a true politician. Too bad they can't see a common sense bill that is good for their constituants.

Email sent. Will try to make the hearing as well.

Thank you. Just a reminder that the public hearing on S661 is TOMORROW, feb. 7, 2012 in Rm. B-1 of the Statehouse. Although I can't be there I hope some will be able to attend. This is a common sense bill that has no right to just die in committee.

Hearing is scheduled for 1 PM.

Last edited:
Thank you. Just a reminder that the public hearing on S661 is TOMORROW, feb. 7, 2012 in Rm. B-1 of the Statehouse. Although I can't be there I hope some will be able to attend. This is a common sense bill that has no right to just die in committee.

Thanks for the reminder, I too work for a living without the ability to change my schedule.
Sad that not one of my officials actually responded to my multiple requests for support.

I desperately want to attend, what time? I'm trying to organize a small group. Thanks

Please take pics. I'd love to see the turnout for this. I cant get out of work, but i wish i could. None of my elected officials have bothered to respond to my emails. (Sciortino and Donato) (new to town, not sure what ward i am in so i contacted both..)

After receiving no response to my email from Sen. Fargo, I called and talked to her general counsel. He seemed to understand the need for this bill and said he would talk to Fargo. We'll see where it goes.

Am I wrong or didn't they give a time like that for another 2A type of bill last year and ended up doing it first thing in the morning instead?

You might be right. It's all I could do, was to call and ask. If they start earlier the pooch gets screwed. Maybe GOAL can weigh in on this.

Holy crap! I just got an NRA-ILA email alert about this being heard tomorrow. It said 1PM as well. Now I'm even more skeptical of the time if that's what they told the NRA.

i called Senator James Eldridge, spoke to his aid, she actually had heard

of S661, i also expalined the purpose of this bill and sired several examples.

Also called Rep Steven Levy, (he's from Marlboro) so am i but i only could

leave a message, i doubt i will hear back from either. but i called.

i am self employed if not i would find some way to attend....

Mass' 32-step process to "earn" a Constitutional "right" [banghead]

Look to England. London burned this summer due to anti's winning. Self-defense cases earn the homeowners life in prison if a firearm is used. English shooting teams have to store their competition firearms...in France, or fear Parliament's wrath.

++++++heard recently on a UK broadcast that the

shooter shot the bad guy in the back while he was

fleeing.... thats a no no even in the U.S.

I just copied and pasted the letter from the first page to all four people that came up when I did the find my rep using my zip code.

This bill has quite a large number of co-sponsors from both sides of the aisle. I hope that gives it more life as it passes through committees.

-JR

This bill has quite a large number of co-sponsors from both sides of the aisle. I hope that gives it more life as it passes through committees.

-JR

When I talked with my State Senator he used the words "common sense" to describe S661 just as I did in my email. I think that those are two good words to pound into our Rep's subliminal recollection. Use it often.

When I talked with my State Senator he used the words "common sense" to describe S661 just as I did in my email. I think that those are two good words to pound into our Rep's subliminal recollection. Use it often.

Funny enough, I wrote my email before I saw any of these threads and also used the phrase 'common sense'. It really is. [grin]

Does Massachusetts have a "good samaritan" law? You know, the one where you are not punished for trying to resuscitate someone, and other similar things?

"An act of lawful defense as outlined in this section shall not be cause for arrest or prosecution"
This is the best part. It gets rid of having to use self-defense as an affirmative defense in the first place!

Back
Top Bottom