Update. Framingham licensing

Policy isn't law! I don't care if they are flooded! Train a clerk like they do in small towns, appoint a retired cop to help until the rush is over, the process is not difficult to learn. I'm sure there are other alternatives available and there would be takers, especially at this time of year with greater than usual bills at home rolling in.
My policy is that stores are not allowed to actually charge me for what I buy. I can just walk into any store, see something I like and take it. Never mind that's illegal. That's my policy so suck it, Lt.

I bet if he walked in with a lawyer the response would have been different.

Thanks for your efforts. The ending of Zulu is awe inspiring. They pull back and form a tight group and survive. There is indeed strength in numbers and indeed we are small numbers here in the deep blue state of MA. Would G.O.A.L. and COMM2A be stronger or weaker should they join up and get their collective backs against the wall?
I'm an outsider, so take that salt first, but definitely worse. They're separate because they have separate missions. And it wouldn't change that they don't have enough donations vs the work they need to do.

I'm an outsider, so take that salt first, but definitely worse. They're separate because they have separate missions. And it wouldn't change that they don't have enough donations vs the work they need to do.
Just a thought as 2 smalls may make 1 bigger but both organizations have their hands full.

Just a thought as 2 smalls may make 1 bigger but both organizations have their hands full.
I hear you. And I could be wrong.

From where I'm sitting, they'd still have the same hands doing the same work. At best, folks would combine their current donations and things would be stable. More likely, half the donations would cease. That is, a person who currently has monthly $25 donations to each isn't likely to suddenly make a monthly $75 donation when they combine forces.

Thanks for your efforts. The ending of Zulu is awe inspiring. They pull back and form a tight group and survive. There is indeed strength in numbers and indeed we are small numbers here in the deep blue state of MA. Would G.O.A.L. and COMM2A be stronger or weaker should they join up and get their collective backs against the wall?
Goal and Comm2A have to remain independent entities due to lobbying rules.

We can talk to each other, we can interact, we can refer matters to one another, but due to rules, and the charters of our organizations, we cannot be one and the same without giving up the ability to lobby or to file lawsuits as an organization.

Goal and Comm2A have to remain independent entities due to lobbying rules.

We can talk to each other, we can interact, we can refer matters to one another, but due to rules, and the charters of our organizations, we cannot be one and the same without giving up the ability to lobby or to file lawsuits as an organization.
As a practical matter, it would be difficult for one org to positively lobby the same entity it regularly sues.

That would be like a gun club working with Everytown for Gun Safety on a joint project.

Last edited:
Love it! I have an automatic monthly donation set up already but you guys are getting an extra drop from me tonight.
We appreciate it, all donations, large or small help us keep the wheels moving.

Legal stuff never goes quickly, and as I am sure we are all aware, costs money. There are quite a few ongoing things in the works, a few coming to an end, and a few just getting started.

A recent ruling by the U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a decision that allows for the right to secretly record police officers while they are on the job in public in Massachusetts.

The court, however, maintained that that right does not extend to recordings of government officials, who can be openly recorded, but not discretely, without consent, according to a legal analysis penned by Michael Lambert, an attorney at Boston First Amendment law firm Prince Lobel.

The decisions — both surrounding the state’s “wiretap” law that prohibits secret audio recordings — come as the result of two cases filed in 2016.

One filed by two civil rights activists, K. Eric Martin and René Pérez, who were represented by the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts, sought to challenge the state’s wiretap law as it applied to police in Martin v. Rollins. The other case, involving the law pertaining to public officials at large, was brought by Project Veritas, a controversial, right-wing political group.

In Martin v. Rollins, a federal district court initially agreed that the Constitution gives the right to secretly record officers performing their duties in public, but the decision was appealed by the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office in June 2019, according to the ACLU.

“People’s recordings of police interactions have started crucial conversations about police reform, and we all suffer when fear of retribution or prosecution stifles these movements,” Jessie Rossman, an ACLU staff attorney who argued the case, said in a statement after the First Circuit Court upheld the decision on Dec. 15. “As the First Circuit explained, and as our clients understand, secret recording can uncover abuses and foster better police behavior, which is why today’s decision is vitally important for both free expression and police accountability.”

In the decision, U.S. Circuit Judge David Barron, a former journalist, wrote that the ability to record police is important for “informing the public about how police are conducting themselves, whether by documenting their heroism, dispelling claims of their misconduct, or facilitating the public’s ability to hold them to account for their wrongdoing.”

“A citizen’s audio recording of on-duty police officers’ treatment of civilians in public spaces while carrying out official duties, even when conducted without an officer’s knowledge, can constitute newsgathering every bit as much as a credentialed reporter’s after-the-fact efforts to ascertain what has transpired,” Barron wrote.

Meanwhile, the court rejected the argument that the state’s wiretap law should be struck down, maintaining that “most of its applications are constitutional,” Lambert wrote.

“It also declined to decide whether the law improperly prohibits the secret recording of other government officials and individuals who lack an expectation of privacy,” Lambert wrote.

According to Lambert, there are still many questions surrounding how the law is applied to government officials.

He notes some may be answered when the state Supreme Judicial Court (SJC) takes up a case brought by Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone against the sports and culture blog, Barstool Sports.

In 2019, Curtatone was recorded in a telephone interview with podcaster Kirk Minihane, who pretended to be a Boston Globe columnist.

An initial lawsuit filed by Curtatone was dismissed in January 2020, but the SJC announced in November it plans to take up the matter from a lower appeals court. Oral arguments are set for Feb. 1, according to Lambert.

NES Thread:
Is inside the station "Public"?
I guess at this point he waits until February. Case closed. Shit we need an organization in this state that’s not part time. Wow this state sucks. Can’t wait to get the eff outta here
And in Feb. they will have something else to make it difficult, why not? The little people are now well trained to accept what they say and just wait.

I bet if he walked in with a lawyer the response would have been different.
You are right! The response would have been that nobody would have spoken to him, except to say that the officer or higher ranking officer isn't available or isn't in the building at this time! The only way to get through to any PD Is to go above their heads to the Board of Selectman or Mayor's office or litigation. This is where Comm2A gets things done! It may take some time but there is still a better chance of progress occurring through Comm2A or your own attorney than allowing the same old same old to continue.

Is inside the station "Public"?

And in Feb. they will have something else to make it difficult, why not? The little people are now well trained to accept what they say and just wait.
I don't think that a judge would determine that an office inside a PD is a "public" place.

I agree. At best they would probably give the person an appointment another 3 months out.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil . . . if he doesn't complain to a higher up (selectmen/mayor or legislator), he'll be waiting for eternity before he gets a LTC.

By the time COMM2A gets to his email let alone do anything it’s going to be February or later. 😂
So what’s the point. Kinda sounds like a joke to me.
You gotta go thru this stuff to realize things, how little really gets done in this state. will be my last donation to COMM2A after figuring out how they operate and size. Money better spent elsewhere I guess, like in ammo for when they ban that

By the time COMM2A gets to his email let alone do anything it’s going to be February or later. 😂
Kinda sounds like a joke to me
We got to the email. We are discussing it. I will reply once I am back in front of my computer and have something to relay.

I am currently in MN for work, back super early Friday.

We are continuing to discuss.

Sorry this is not fast enough for you, but as I said, a rush causes bad case law or bad policy.

If you want someone to represent you right now, then call attorney Neil Tassell. He will tell you if he can help and how much it might cost. Comm2a is not your personal law firm. They have limited resources and a number of priorities.
everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

You gotta go thru this stuff to realize things, how little really gets done in this state. will be my last donation to COMM2A after figuring out how they operate and size. Money better spent elsewhere I guess, like in ammo for when they ban that
bourdieu-jesus.gif

Sorry but this is an idiotic take on the situation. Comm2A are not your own personal lawyer on a retainer! It takes time to work within the system; bet you wish someone else had contacted them prior to your buddy getting the runaround, eh? So how about you encourage him to be patient and work with comm2a so that hopefully future applicants won't have to experience this?

If you want someone to represent you right now, then call attorney Neil Tassell. He will tell you if he can help and how much it might cost. Comm2a is not your personal law firm. They have limited resources and a number of priorities.
If OP's friend retains Tassell for the purpose of bitch slapping FPD, I will donate $250.00 toward Tassell's fees. Anyone else?

Maybe this one could be added to the issue
Framingham - new LTC

Submitted form Mid July
Had to wait til Mid August to get fingerprinted

Still waiting 4 months later for anything.

If OP's friend retains Tassell for the purpose of bitch slapping FPD, I will donate $250.00 toward Tassell's fees. Anyone else?
Don't know if I can swing that much right now but I'd be in for a hundred for @nstassel and I'll let him beat me at the next match :p

If Tassel could get a court order for them to accept applications and process them within the time allowed by law, I'd give $1000.00 as long as I can be there when its serverved on the Chief/LO. Of course this would only have meaning if they were slapped with contempt when they ignore the order.

I can dream can't I?

If Tassel could get a court order for them to accept applications and process them within the time allowed by law, I'd give $1000.00 as long as I can be there when its serverved on the Chief/LO. Of course this would only have meaning if they were slapped with contempt when they ignore the order.

I can dream can't I?
Law, like medicine, is a field where you pay for effort by the vendor, not for results.

Law, like medicine, is a field where you pay for effort by the vendor, not for results.
the 1k was more a comment about how I felt about the FPD's BS. You'll note the 250 is not related to results. How much will you put up, not for the general cause, we all know you put in for that, but dollars for this one?

As one of the Directors of Comm2A, I can say we are pretty well slammed with emails.
It is 4AM and I am headed out the door again to get on another plane and head to MSP (Minneapolis) but we have gotten more than a few emails about towns being nebulous regarding the change in office happening after the first of the year.
We are planning to have a meeting of our board and core team next week once most of our small team is back from travel (myself included) and will be replying to folks who have ongoing issues.
Thanks for your efforts, $50 inbound.

the 1k was more a comment about how I felt about the FPD's BS. You'll note the 250 is not related to results. How much will you put up, not for the general cause, we all know you put in for that, but dollars for this one?
Wording like "If Tassel could get a court order..." rather than "If Tassel count attempt to get a court order" implies "if we can get results..."

This issue with Towns/Cities shows their priorities, I'm sure they've fully funded their Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
Imagine if some Trans/Queer/Non-Binary Resident complained that a Baker in town refused to bake a cake for their Queer Coming Out Party?
I'm sure the City of Framingham would be all over the Baker and an Army of City Employees would drop everything to "educate and discipline" the business. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom