• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Update CMP M1911s

I love 3-5 ... I need to pass a NICS check before I order a gun and then pass one when I buy it?

Glad to see #9 ... They screwed the Carbine purchase process up by accepting order early. I love when they posted a picture at 9;00AM on the day sales started of all the Post Office bins with the tag line "We are sold out".

Mark Johnson already set the bar with the lowest grade to be around $1000. Again anything really nice and special will be set aside for auction. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think cmp will be shipping any 1911s to MA FFLs as they are not on the roster.

Also note in 3. That they will be looking for a copy of FFL01 so it looks like they are choosing to not sell to FFL 03s at all. My guess is that they already know the serial number ranges and most are not 50 years old yet or they made agreement with (feds,congress or who ever) to get permission to distribute the pistols.
Over all I give it another year before they announce the open orders.

Last edited:
Why not? An FFL could always transfer it out of MA to another FFL.
ICBW but #2 spells it out.
Also we assume all these 1911s are CR OK. Unless ATF declared all 1911s with property of US markings are CR which would be great.
Don't be surprised if cmp pulls no shipping to states out side your state either.
I'm curious also to know if CMP is a full blown FFL dealer now or just operating under special circumstances?

I'm curious also to know if CMP is a full blown FFL dealer now or just operating under special circumstances?

I was wondering about this also. There was A LOT of back and forth posting from CMP on their facebook page yesterday. Here's what they said about the NICS check:

"CMP will run a NICS check prior to shipping to the FFL. Then the FFL recipient will also run another NICS before the pistol can be transferred."

"Basically, its the same requirements we have in place for our rifle sales. The only difference is it will be sent to an FFL, which will run a 2nd NICS check prior to transferring the pistol."

ICBW but #2 spells it out.
Also we assume all these 1911s are CR OK. Unless ATF declared all 1911s with property of US markings are CR which would be great.
Don't be surprised if cmp pulls no shipping to states out side your state either.

I'm certain that someone in one state will not be allowed to order one and have it shipped to a different state.

CMP's deal with congress was a special one with them now getting a special quasi FFL dealer status and agreeing not to ship to C&R FFLs.

If I could get a "nice" one (think service grade M1) for $800-$1000 I'd go for it, but at that price point I'm assuming it'll be a beat to hell mixmaster (rack grade or maybe even worse).

I'm certain that someone in one state will not be allowed to order one and have it shipped to a different state.

CMP's deal with congress was a special one with them now getting a special quasi FFL dealer status and agreeing not to ship to C&R FFLs.
correct and a updated email from cmp just a little while ago added this, so its not about laws its about policy regarding CMPs special permission.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

When I first read of the CMP 1911's I was intrigued. Now as potential purchasing structure and price points are leaking out, i'm far less intrigued. Not interested in jumping through hoops TWICE, paying $1K+ for a blind millspec 1911 purchase. I already have a SA 1911 RO which I am very fond of. Just don't see the point.

Interesting, I read on one blog that they are all 1945 or earlier manufacture? A WWI serial or WWII serial would be pretty cool...

I also really don't understand a lot of "maybe at $300" or "I can get a RIA for $450, why would I want this?" comments I am seeing. Are people not familiar with milsurp stuff and/or the CMP, or the market price? I think a lot people not into milsurps were thinking these were going to be ultra cheap pistols they could get their hands on rather than buying new production, but a substantial part of their value is in their collectibility.

I also really don't understand a lot of "maybe at $300" or "I can get a RIA for $450, why would I want this?" comments I am seeing. Are people not familiar with milsurp stuff and/or the CMP, or the market price? I think a lot people not into milsurps were thinking these were going to be ultra cheap pistols they could get their hands on rather than buying new production, but a substantial part of their value is in their collectibility.
the thing is anything really collectible both in rarity and monetary value will be set aside for the auction or special people with the inner circles. I will be shocked if there are any singers or even remingtons for that matter. I also doubt anyone will get a JSB inspector stamped example either.

Well the one thing that made no sense whatsoever was straightened out an hour ago in an email to CMP members. They dropped the requirement that you provide proof of a NICS check. They are still clueless and are saying that they will be doing NICS checks before they ship to the FFL.... ridiculous. THey are dancing around trying to make somebody in the governement comfortable. THey are shipping to 01 FFL's who MUST do a NICS check and log it on the 4473 in order to transfer the gun or they will fail even a cursory ATF visit and lose their license.

right and please let me know where your picking up US property marked 1911s for $300

right and please let me know where your picking up US property marked 1911s for $300
That's what I don't get. I am seeing lots of people say, "the heck with this, I'm going to spend my $450 on a Rock Island" or "I'll just buy a Springfield". Did they really expect these to be priced less than a modern commodity 1911?

If I were a betting man I would have guessed a year ago or so about $750-$800 for a rack grade, $800-$900 for a field grade, about $1000 for a service grade, etc. and on up. Reminds me of the naive people I've seen saying "once those 86,000 M1s come back from the Philippines, we can pick them up for $400 each!" I just don't think that's realistic. The demand seems plenty high for M1s and 1911s.

I'd be willing to pay more than "new 1911" prices for one of these. I don't know about $1000 for a field or rack grade though. It would be nice to see some examples beforehand but due to demand and the way they seem to be doing it with the random draw, doesn't sound possible.

This is an interesting discussion, just how much is a most likely worn out and abused M1911/A1 really worth?

The answer probably lies within each of us and how much we are willing to pay.

And we won't even mention how much everyone thinks that their opinion of this is the most correct judgement.

THey are shipping to 01 FFL's who MUST do a NICS check and log it on the 4473 in order to transfer the gun or they will fail even a cursory ATF visit and lose their license.

How are they going to require a dealer to do this? Its not a BATFE rule AFAIK so how can it be enforced? An FFL01 can legally transfer it to another FFL whether its an 01 or 03 without a 4473, so how do they think they will compel the dealer to prevent them from doing a legal transfer like that to an 03 (assuming the guns are C&R eligible of course)? The C&R definition is unambiguous.

How are they going to require a dealer to do this? Its not a BATFE rule AFAIK so how can it be enforced? An FFL01 can legally transfer it to another FFL whether its an 01 or 03 without a 4473, so how do they think they will compel the dealer to prevent them from doing a legal transfer like that to an 03 (assuming the guns are C&R eligible of course)? The C&R definition is unambiguous.
CMP will do the NICS as they do with all gun sales. I can't imagine once in possession of the ffl dealer they cant process the transaction per ATF law/regulations as normal.
CMP made it clear the only way you can get one is through shipping to a FFL dealer in your state. I'm also going to take a stab at CMP not shipping to a FFL state that is not the same as your paper work

Back
Top Bottom