Ultimate SHTF rifle???

You can still lose the clips.
And the clips kinda s*ck, some rounds fall off.
if you were to carry it in the forest - clips are way better than a full size AK mag.
SKS is a great little gun that gets always underappreciated, and some specimens of it may even be accurate enough. if you get lucky.

Looks heavy though, my 74 is really light which is why I will be packing it in a post apocalyptical scenario in central MA.. Plus got the poison boolits :) I fired one years ago but remember nothing about it, is it a milled receiver?

Yes, milled receiver. And the '58 is lighter than any AK.

Its only problem is a short LOP, which might not even be a problem for you. But Stormwerkz makes adapters for any other kind of stock out there.

Last I checked, preban mags were surprisingly cheap and available here in MA. I think all of the metal ones are preban, actually.

if you were to carry it in the forest - clips are way better than a full size AK mag.
SKS is a great little gun that gets always underappreciated, and some specimens of it may even be accurate enough. if you get lucky.
I hated the SKS during the Excruciathlon.

I took clips out of the chest rig and some rounds would fall out and be annoying AF.

I love the SKS and it's reliability.

Why do you say clips are better?

Yes, milled receiver. And the '58 is lighter than any AK.

Its only problem is a short LOP, which might not even be a problem for you. But Stormwerkz makes adapters for any other kind of stock out there.

Last I checked, preban mags were surprisingly cheap and available here in MA. I think all of them are preban, actually.

I have an Arsenal SAM7 Classic.. shoots awesome, but seems like just the receiver alone weighs as much as 2 of my 74's.

Why do you say clips are better?
you stop dropping stuff when you get used to it, and it is better as it pokes your sides less and does not catch the brushes and branches you go through. :) the slimmer the better.
i used to hunt with one.

Cool rifles, most of you will die within 48 hours.
I'm thankful to the ones with rifles that will go down shooting looters in the streets. As for me, if SHTF, I'm barricading doors and waiting for the initial idiots and people pooping their guts out from unclean water to get tamed.

Do it! You won't regret it. Clearview investments has all the important spart parts, springs, ect for super cheap too. I know some are qorried about that. I grabbed a complete bolt assembly, not that I'd probably ever need it, for $30.

Ya, problem is I already have one delivery system for x39... Sold off a bunch of AK's a while ago because I decided to cut down on multiples.. Was also a LOT cheaper back then to stockpile AK's.. Quick check puts that VZ at $1.7k.. $500 I would do it today :)

Ya, problem is I already have one delivery system for x39... Sold off a bunch of AK's a while ago because I decided to cut down on multiples.. Was also a LOT cheaper back then to stockpile AK's.. Quick check puts that VZ at $1.7k.. $500 I would do it today :)

One is none.

I've got three tubes that can launch x39. That's barely enough. Such a wonderful caliber deserves the best, surely... and that's a Valmet. Second is a Vz58.

xuxrbmx5psz91.jpg
Ranger. He also makes suppressed pen guns.

Training and practice on how to sustain yourself year round, to include the winter, is way more important than any of the fire and maneuver training. Also, depending on the definition/phase of SHTF, tourniquets are not very useful. They are amazing tools to extend survivability of severe limb injuries during the golden hour before you get to better medical care. In a lot of SHTF scenarios. That better medical care wouldn’t exist. Still worth having, but their value is significantly decreased for many situations.

There are various levels of SHTF. Look at venezuela or south africa right now...I would consider that the more likely SHTF scenario, and there is still power (sort of) and healthcare (if you have money). Kidnapping attempts, robbery, home invasion, carjackings etc. would be your main threat, along with dying from lack of medicine, proper healthcare and poor nutrition. Being armed, trained, armored, with some basic medical training and supplies and some food and water storage is key. On the other side of the spectrum is a massive counter value/counter force nuclear war, wherein you're on your own with no help for years and years. In that case having a PF=1000 fallout shelter (or blast, if you're within ~6 miles of a likely target), a few years of food storage, very good wilderness survival skills and gear, a large and well-organized survival group etc. are more important.

OCD and/or watch too much HGTV with the wife. 😆
Looks heavy though, my 74 is really light which is why I will be packing it in a post apocalyptical scenario in central MA.. Plus got the poison boolits :) I fired one years ago but remember nothing about it, is it a milled receiver?
Thread turned from self-masturbatory show-off-my-new build post to a Czechpoint vz58 salesman wet dream

There are various levels of SHTF. Look at venezuela or south africa right now...I would consider that the more likely SHTF scenario, and there is still power (sort of) and healthcare (if you have money). Kidnapping attempts, robbery, home invasion, carjackings etc. would be your main threat, along with dying from lack of medicine, proper healthcare and poor nutrition. Being armed, trained, armored, with some basic medical training and supplies and some food and water storage is key. On the other side of the spectrum is a massive counter value/counter force nuclear war, wherein you're on your own with no help for years and years. In that case having a PF=1000 fallout shelter (or blast, if you're within ~6 miles of a likely target), a few years of food storage, very good wilderness survival skills and gear, a large and well-organized survival group etc. are more important.
Well-put . I feel like it can go either way right now . Gradual collapse , or mass starvation event after a nuclear war where people will be like zombies just shuffling around looking for their next meal, completely unprepared . They will be way worse than zombies , actually

You've seen that many NES members trying to walk up a flight of stairs?
A lot of that is just pure laziness of thought id think.
Something along the lines of "rolls eyes isnt there a escalator or elevator within a mile in could walk to and take to avoid using the stairs?"

If push comes to shove, I'd like to think the majority would be ok.

Where is the love for the Ruger Mini-14???

I’ll settle on a AR for shtf. But… I get the Ruger 10/22 argument
Werent the old ones shit for reliability and accuracy?
Thats what ive heard it least.

For the 10/22, just get the drop in conversion kit from cmmg for the AR.
Donesies

Last edited:
Here’s my submission for the ultimate SHTF rifle . So pumped about this gun and glad to finally have it assembled !

What’s your thoughts on the best SHTF rifle ? Other than ‘the one you train with’ 😁

FOSTECH ECHO sport binary trigger
M&P Sport with TS25 Rattler 384
1.5 magnification thermal optic
HS510C Holosun red dot shake-awake On 45 degree mount for close range
Miculrk muzzle brake (this thing Rocks, it’s like shooting a .22 on binary ( the people to my right and left hate it though) :( View attachment 729273
No offense but not a fan. [puke]why a 16" when shtf? 11 to 12.5" all the way. If you don't care for NFA stuff, even a 14.5 is more nimble. That muzzle brake....if you care about the MA AWB something like a Rainier XTC 1.0 or similar is a much better compromise. No WML? Thermal is great for distance and searching but what about close intermediate work inside your home or even your property where you are going kinetic?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom