• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ultimate SHTF rifle???

On the 12 gauge topic, I like to think of it as a secondary tool in “SHTF”.

18-20”, break action 12 gauge with threaded barrel. … and a kit bag.

1AEAD8F8-958A-4005-9BC1-15A0875BF67F.jpeg

Grab ‘n go:
- 00 Buckshot
- Slugs
- Turkey shot (I need to add some other bird shot)
- Modified, Full, and Turkey chokes
- Adapters:
* 20 gauge
* 28 gauge
* 410/45 Colt
* 209 primer/black powder adapter
* 357 magnum
* 45 ACP
* 45-70

Still looking to add a 30-30 barrel, 7.62x39, 44 magnum, and maybe a 380. I should also probably add a pill bottle of 209 primers. Will need a bigger bag for the new additions though.

View attachment 734014

Grab ‘n go:
- 00 Buckshot
- Slugs
- Adapters:
* 20 gauge
* 28 gauge
* 410/45 Colt
* 357 magnum
* 45 ACP
* 45-70

Still looking to add a 30-30 barrel, 7.62x39, 44 magnum, and maybe a 380. I should also probably add a pill bottle of 209 primers. Will need a bigger bag for the new additions though.
I always thought a sxs 12ga with an adaptor kit would be great if you could only have one gun for everything. You could break down a 20” coach gun and fit it in a backpack

View attachment 734014

Grab ‘n go:
- 00 Buckshot
- Slugs
- Adapters:
* 20 gauge
* 28 gauge
* 410/45 Colt
* 357 magnum
* 45 ACP
* 45-70

WAIT ... WHAT!!!

Are you saying I can insert a tube in a shotgun and shoot 45/70?

Why the f*ck have I been looking for a double rifle when I can use a SXS.

This is a game changer, how come I never heard of this.

WAIT ... WHAT!!!

Are you saying I can insert a tube in a shotgun and shoot 45/70?

Why the f*ck have I been looking for a double rifle when I can use a SXS.

This is a game changer, how come I never heard of this.
Yes, yes you can. All sorts of calibers. But you often need to wait for some to be in stock since the market isn’t very big.

I am not sure if this is the right place, but I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I am new to firearms (got my LtC a year ago) and I built my "STHF" 5.56. Now I am trying to figure out what parts I need a few of because of wear, failure points, etc. I am not sure if what I parts I have is needed for recommendations...I can make a list if needed.

I would like to have a couple of everything I need on hand, not just because of SHTF scenarios, but just basic supply chain issues. I would much rather not have a paper weight when I actually need it.

Thank you, and again, I hope this is in the right thread.

I am not sure if this is the right place, but I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I am new to firearms (got my LtC a year ago) and I built my "STHF" 5.56. Now I am trying to figure out what parts I need a few of because of wear, failure points, etc. I am not sure if what I parts I have is needed for recommendations...I can make a list if needed.

I would like to have a couple of everything I need on hand, not just because of SHTF scenarios, but just basic supply chain issues. I would much rather not have a paper weight when I actually need it.

Multiples of any part are good. But start with:

- Bolt
- A couple extractors
- Action spring (buffer spring)
- Trigger springs
- Gas tube
- Barrel if yours isn’t nitrided or chrome lined

That will keep you going for quite a while.

Last edited:

I respect that idea.

But get an AK.

That way, you'll probably never need spares. And if you do, they'll be cheap. And easy to install.

Multiples of any part are good. But start with:

- Bolt
- A couple extractors
- Action spring (buffer spring)
- Lower parts spring kit
- Gas tube
- Barrel if yours isn’t nitrided or chrome lined

That will keep you going for quite a while.
I never would have thought about the gas tube. Would a spare gas block be something else to get? Mine is not adjustable.

I never would have thought about the gas tube. Would a spare gas block be something else to get? Mine is not adjustable.

The gas block will be fine. The gas tube will probably be fine for the life of the barrel too. But one could burn it out with serious strings of fire.

Also, instead of lower spring kit, I should have said trigger springs. Those are the most used and most critical. The others probably won’t ever go bad.

The gas block will be fine. The gas tube will probably be fine for the life of the barrel too. But one good burn it out with serious strings of fire.

Also, instead of lower spring kit, I should have said trigger springs. Those are the most used and most critical. The others probably won’t ever go bad.
Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely grab another tube. I did go a little gucci on the barrel, so hopefully the block and tube wear consistently with the barrel.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely grab another tube. I did go a little gucci on the barrel, so hopefully the block and tube wear consistently with the barrel.
What barrel? Just curious.

Also, most likely the tube will be fine. They can last 20k+ even with serious use. It’s just if you do some heavy suppressive fire they can overheat and droop a bit. So it’s a “why not?” since they’re cheap. I wouldn’t pack one with me if I had to evacuate the area (I would pack a spare bolt), but they’re good to keep in a spare parts container at home.

Neither does mine. It hasn't stopped me from owning seven different AKs there. Just picked up another one a few weeks ago.
I understand that, I just can't see investing that much money into a 30 yr old used firearm. If my state got its head out of its ass, I would grab one in a heart beat.

What barrel? Just curious.

Also, most likely the tube will be fine. They can last 20k+ even with serious use. It’s just if you do some heavy suppressive fire they can overheat and droop a bit. So it’s a “why not?” since they’re cheap. I wouldn’t pack one with me if I had to evacuate the area (I would pack a spare bolt), but they’re good to keep in a spare parts container at home.
14.5 Noveske CHF CL Light Afghan. Tube and Block came with the barrel.

45B84FF1-A269-4D9D-A9E4-79F8491315D1.jpeg

14.5 Noveske CHF CL Light Afghan. Tube and Block came with the barrel.

vqGeMsr.gif

If you fired the three of those together, your shoulder would be in for a world of hurt. 😆
Imagine you are going to hit someone with the buttstock and as you are about to smash that person's face you pull the trigger. Would be like a cheat code.

It would be a great idea to post the model of firearm you are talking about. Different firearms are going to have different parts that would make sense to keep extras of.

It would be a great idea to post the model of firearm you are talking about. Different firearms are going to have different parts that would make sense to keep extras of.
It is kind of a Frankenstein rifle. I bought a stripped upper and lower and bought parts when I had the extra cash. It is direct impingement. My biggest question on spare parts has to do with the bcg and trigger. I bought both of them as complete drop-ins, so I don't really know about all the parts.

It is kind of a Frankenstein rifle. I bought a stripped upper and lower and bought parts when I had the extra cash. It is direct impingement. My biggest question on spare parts has to do with the bcg and trigger. I bought both of them as complete drop-ins, so I don't really know about all the parts.
You could have said AR.

The fastest, easiest way to make sure you have replacements for your BCG and/or firing group is to buy complete spares.
Here's a functional BCG for $55
and a trigger for $65

Back
Top Bottom